Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bottom Part of Rocker Panel Damaged But Hard To See - Should I Get This Repaired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what the heck I ran over in the parking lot today but I think it was a small curb for a loading zone that I didn't see. Damage isn't visible until you get down and look at it. Do I need to get this repaired? There is definitely a small dent to the panel down there (from looking around on the forum I gather this is called the rocker panel?). I'm assuming I need to get the plastic cover replaced but the actual panel looks to be slightly warped/dented too. I am supposed to be driving across the country next week so I'm biased towards a faster fix. Also recently got laid off so would love to not spend the 10k I saw other people quoted for replacing the rocker panel. Also I'm not a vampire I photoshopped my face out of the reflection in the third picture.

I'm looking for advice and opinions because I don't know what to do or even what the options are here. It looks to me like it shouldn't be a huge expense but the other posts on the forum indicate otherwise...

IMG_2245.jpeg
IMG_2246.jpeg
IMG_2247.jpeg

I don't know what the heck I ran over in the parking lot today but I think it was a small curb for a loading zone that I didn't see. Damage isn't visible until you get down and look at it. Do I need to get this repaired? There is definitely a small dent to the panel down there (from looking around on the forum I gather this is called the rocker panel?). I'm assuming I need to get the plastic cover replaced but the actual panel looks to be slightly warped/dented too. I am supposed to be driving across the country next week so I'm biased towards a faster fix. Also recently got laid off so would love to not spend the 10k I saw other people quoted for replacing the rocker panel. Also I'm not a vampire I photoshopped my face out of the reflection in the third picture.

I'm looking for advice and opinions because I don't know what to do or even what the options are here. It looks to me like it shouldn't be a huge expense but the other posts on the forum indicate otherwise...

View attachment 829312View attachment 829311View attachment 829332
One, you can do nothing. Two, you can eventually have the plastic piece replaced, and you can Dr. Colorchip the black. No one will see down there. Or, three, you can take it to a regular bodyshop which can fix the metal fairly cheaply. I had similar damage repaired for $1300.
IMG_8365.jpeg

by default 2021-05-26 at 1.43.56 PM.jpg

Reactions: JimBob 909
Upvote 0
One, you can do nothing. Two, you can eventually have the plastic piece replaced, and you can Dr. Colorchip the black. No one will see down there. Or, three, you can take it to a regular bodyshop which can fix the metal fairly cheaply. I had similar damage repaired for $1300.
View attachment 829442
View attachment 829443
Model 3 - mine is identical to this - it's actually FSD's fault - the steering jerked violently right as I was making a left turn so in a panic I ended up taking over and hopping the island/curb (it's a strange intersection as it is) so I have the same rocker panel damage along the area just in front of the left rear wheel. Still cannot understand why they would ever program such jerky movements in autopilot 2/3...(AP1 cars never had these herky-jerky thrashing movements that AP 2/3 does on rare but scary occasions)

I'm near oceanside or san juan capistrano so I'll probably want to go to those Tesla collision centers but sounds like the app is trying to get me to go to a local shop which from reading these threads sounds like Tesla collision centers are cheaper.

How does it work with insurance? Make the appt, and simultaneously contact insurance? or does tesla help with claiming it thru insurance?

Upvote 0
Not sure if all insurance works the same in all states, but I've had Liberty Mutual for 45yrs, so I just contact them and go to an approved body shop to get an estimate. I think for the rocker damage I had, they may have suggested some places near me, and I picked the one I wanted to go to. Then, the body shop worked with insurance directly.

Reactions: cybergates
Upvote 0
I had a much smaller gash on my rocker panel done for $1500 back in 2020. They blended the color and sprayed the quarter panel and rocker panel with clear. I’ve seen many model 3’s with damage on the panel. I really wish they had done plastic on the panel like most other cars.

Attachments

• A6B5C8EF-9A6A-478C-A66B-556B0D8D4A5D.jpeg
    A6B5C8EF-9A6A-478C-A66B-556B0D8D4A5D.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 190
Reactions: cybergates
Upvote 0