Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up making the switch. I gave up my free super charging and upgraded to the 100D. My whole reason for going with the 90D instead of the 60D was the range, not the speed, so being I spent around $16k more for the 90D over the 60D, it was impossible for me to not spend the extra $3k and get the extra 40 miles range. I wish I could have had the free super charging too, but I am very thankful that Tesla put this out before tomorrow when my changes would not have been possible, and at least let me make the choice. I would have been pretty upset if this came out on say Monday and it was too late.

honestly in the grand scheme of things this will make hardly any difference. If you can afford a 100D then your time is clearly your money. With the 100D you might now able to cover distances you couldn't before (i.e. for long commute) without supercharging and you can also supercharge more miles faster. Which means you have more time for a leisure activity of your choice.

Even if you drive 50000km a year with superchargers, which is highly unlikely, you are only forking out about 1000-2000 dollars out with that. Really not much considering how much you payed for the car.

Reactions: bhzmark
Right from the horse's mouth. . .here's the email I got from my OA. . .cool guy by the way. .. .my commentary in CAPS below...

"Just confirmed a few things for you here. Your current order is in Dec v2 pricebook, orders will be built as is, if you don’t opt for 100D (which requires the new pricebook). Orders placed after 1/12 will get non-ventilated seats. I confirmed that since you are adding on Premium package and ordered before 1/12, you will get ventilated seats.

If you are to choose to upgrade to the 100D the following would occur:

- Pay any difference from the battery/trim upgrade to 100D - COOL! ONLY $3K AND NO CHANGE FEE

- Lose Unlimited Free Supercharging - *sugar*- BUT NOT SURE I'M GOING TO DO AS MUCH LONG DISTANCE AS SOME OF YOU FOLKS. . . 40 MILES OF COMMUTING ROUND TRIP PER DAY WHEN IN THE OFFICE. . .2X PER WEEK, OTHERWISE ON PLANES.

- Lose perforated/ventilated seats - *sugar*

- Subject to the new bundled interior options -*sugar*, I HAD TAN, ASH AND BLACK HEADLINER ON OBSIDIAN- COMBO IS NOT OFFERED

- Subject to new production and delivery timing- WEBSITE STILL SAYS LATE MARCH SO GUESSING I LOSE A WEEK

I would be more than happy to speak over the phone as well to clarify these things." I DID, I THINK I'M KEEPING THE 90D AND GOING TO LEASE THE DAMN THING. . .IF NOTHING ELSE THIS HAS SHOWN ME THE VALUE OF THESE CURRENT CARS IN 3 YEARS COULD BE ANYWHERE FROM 35k TO 50k BUT NO MORE. . .

ANYONE WANT TO TALK ME OUT OF IT?

M

Reactions: Gen3 and ABC2D
Right from the horse's mouth. . .here's the email I got from my OA. . .cool guy by the way. .. .my commentary in CAPS below...

"Just confirmed a few things for you here. Your current order is in Dec v2 pricebook, orders will be built as is, if you don’t opt for 100D (which requires the new pricebook). Orders placed after 1/12 will get non-ventilated seats. I confirmed that since you are adding on Premium package and ordered before 1/12, you will get ventilated seats.

If you are to choose to upgrade to the 100D the following would occur:

- Pay any difference from the battery/trim upgrade to 100D - COOL! ONLY $3K AND NO CHANGE FEE

- Lose Unlimited Free Supercharging - *sugar*- BUT NOT SURE I'M GOING TO DO AS MUCH LONG DISTANCE AS SOME OF YOU FOLKS. . . 40 MILES OF COMMUTING ROUND TRIP PER DAY WHEN IN THE OFFICE. . .2X PER WEEK, OTHERWISE ON PLANES.

- Lose perforated/ventilated seats - *sugar*

- Subject to the new bundled interior options -*sugar*, I HAD TAN, ASH AND BLACK HEADLINER ON OBSIDIAN- COMBO IS NOT OFFERED

- Subject to new production and delivery timing- WEBSITE STILL SAYS LATE MARCH SO GUESSING I LOSE A WEEK

I would be more than happy to speak over the phone as well to clarify these things." I DID, I THINK I'M KEEPING THE 90D AND GOING TO LEASE THE DAMN THING. . .IF NOTHING ELSE THIS HAS SHOWN ME THE VALUE OF THESE CURRENT CARS IN 3 YEARS COULD BE ANYWHERE FROM 35k TO 50k BUT NO MORE. . .

ANYONE WANT TO TALK ME OUT OF IT?

M

Sounds like the 90 is for you. The packages matched my color choices closely, so I'm still mulling it over.

Reactions: Sully's8
So I considered paying $500 to change my order for the 100D as I got a 90D that is in production que but not produced and I feel like with no performance difference you are paying $3000 for a larger gas tank when your gas tank is already huge. Does't make sense to me. I am sure i'll wake up in the middle of the night and totally freak out that I need the mileage i'll never use. I second the thought about the ventilated seats. THEY LOOK COOL! and lets face it this is a cool car and looking cool is the best part.

I think there will be a performance difference.... they are just not stating it... for an S the extra miles might not be a big deal, but on the X it is....

So I considered paying $500 to change my order for the 100D as I got a 90D that is in production que but not produced and I feel like with no performance difference you are paying $3000 for a larger gas tank when your gas tank is already huge. Does't make sense to me. I am sure i'll wake up in the middle of the night and totally freak out that I need the mileage i'll never use. I second the thought about the ventilated seats. THEY LOOK COOL! and lets face it this is a cool car and looking cool is the best part.

So I considered paying $500 to change my order for the 100D as I got a 90D that is in production que but not produced and I feel like with no performance difference you are paying $3000 for a larger gas tank when your gas tank is already huge. Does't make sense to me.

You are also getting faster supercharging, in the sense that the taper will start later. You would get that even if you got a 100D pack that was software limited to 90D. May not matter to you, but it is a difference.

So now I am realizing that I placed my order for the 100D after canceling my 90D with free super charging, but there was no real reason to rush. I guess some are expecting an interior refresh and a HUD? Since there are no timelines right now for charging, should I hold off and wait to see what comes out in the next couple of months? I have not followed this stuff for long at all, and tried to sneak in with the extended free super charging, so not sure how often features and prices change. Anyone have any insight into this?

Reactions: xborg
I have not followed this stuff for long at all, and tried to sneak in with the extended free super charging, so not sure how often features and prices change. Anyone have any insight into this?

It seems like every quarter there is something new. In the year or so I have been watching we got a rerelease of the 60, P100D, new premium seats available in the S, ventilated seats in the S (then removed later), removal of grey leather and addition of white interior, AP2, etc.

Prices in general go up when these new features are added. I am pretty sure the current "top dog" config is a lot more expensive than it was a year ago.

So buy when there is a car with all the features/range/price you like. Then enjoy your car and never look back. Otherwise you will never buy since something new is always around the corner.

I would be willing to bet the Model 3 reveal will include some updates for the Model S.

Interior refresh, mid model refresh, like any car things change but they change at the speed of light with Tesla. I waited 2 years to order mine till I felt that they hit the nail on the head AP2, body style update, ventilated seats, free supercharging, and panoramic glass roof, 300 mile range (on the 90D). I pulled the trigger on Dec 26th. I'd say this last refresh was the best time in the history of the company to order a car. I wish I could justify the cost of a P100D but I can't. I can afford it but I just don't see the value in an extra $40,000. If in fact this guy got a 100D with free super charging and ventilated seats he got a white elephant because I asked my SC and he said it can't be done without losing the supercharging and the ventilated seats. Mind you my order is scheduled for production so different circumstances also and that's one persons so who knows. But nice job!!!!!

Last edited:
Awesome timing for the OP.

As for me I'm going to stick with my AP1 70D until the EAP software is a little more proven out. We still don't know a whole lot about how well it performs in the rain, and it rains in the PNW 9 months out of the year. They also haven't upgraded the infotainment processing unit yet.

But, it's great the OP is getting one. He's one of the most prolific posters that tends to add a lot of excitement to this place. So it's fun for the whole Tesla family.

When I do upgrade in the future it will likely be the 100D despite having to spend money I made off of NVidia to afford it. :-(

Interior refresh, mid model refresh, like any car things change but they change at the speed of light with Tesla. I waited 2 years to order mine till I felt that they hit the nail on the head AP2, body style update, ventilated seats, free supercharging, and panoramic glass roof, 300 mile range (on the 90D). I pulled the trigger on Dec 26th. I'd say this last refresh was the best time in the history of the company to order a car. I wish I could justify the cost of a P100D but I can't. I can afford it but I just don't see the value in an extra $40,000. If in fact this guy got a 100D with free super charging and ventilated seats he got a white elephant because I asked my SC and he said it can't be done without losing the supercharging and the ventilated seats. Mind you my order is scheduled for production so different circumstances also and that's one persons so who knows. But nice job!!!!!

The more I think about it, the more I am getting annoyed over this..... I had a $100,000 order in for a car.... I tried to order a $103,000 car that they made available today, within my 7 day change period, and they are nickel and dime'ing me over what amounts to a few hundred per year. They should have honored the free super charging on this, its bad business and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am likely canceling my order.

Yeahhhh baby!! Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh! Epic free gas road trips with no sweaty back await! I'd like to thank my manager, God, the Academy, my sales adviser, my stylist, my personal trainer, and all of you at Tesla Motors Club.

::sniff::

I'm gonna drive (ride, while it drives for me) the snot out of this baby for the next 500,000 miles or more (believe it - it's true - I have always put over 200K on cars before getting rid of them).

Ordered on Dec 31st before ventilated seats were canceled. Then got the options-change deadline extended to the 21st instead of cancelling the original order and re-ordering on the 14th to push out the production - in hopes the battery would come available.

Now - on the last day to modify options without losing supercharging the battery is available!

YEAH BABY! YEAH BABY!

Disclaimer: I'm sure that by making this bragging post the gods will frown. Elon himself will call me and say "no big battery for you." Or the factory will mysteriously run out of ventilated seats. Or I'll get run over by a truck on the way to pick up the car.

Nevertheless - for now - yeah baby!!!!
How about an update? Did they let you have your cake and eat it too?

• Funny
Reactions: Sully's8 and ABC2D
The more I think about it, the more I am getting annoyed over this..... I had a $100,000 order in for a car.... I tried to order a $103,000 car that they made available today, within my 7 day change period, and they are nickel and dime'ing me over what amounts to a few hundred per year. They should have honored the free super charging on this, its bad business and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am likely canceling my order.
If your order includes the free supercharging don't cancel it below is the full email from my SC from today. I thought I'd ask about the 100D upgrade and pay the difference before I woke up in a panic. If you cancelled it already then I'd stick with the 100D. HUD is a gimmick, had it in my M3 doesn't work with polarized sunglasses. Supercharging lines are going to be long and painful I'm sure plus my theory is when the model 3 goes into production delivery times are going to tank. Just my theory.

"Hey Danny,

Hahaha, don't worry about it. Honestly it wouldn't make any sense to switch, you would lose free supercharging and your perforated seats. The extra 40 miles of range just isn't worth it.

Can't wait for you to take delivery!"

My SC is a super nice, genuine guy.

I suspect we know the answer. Unless he really got the "white elephant" he got the answer everyone else has gotten, which is "no". I spoke to my OA today. He indicated all OAs and DSs got training this morning and there was clear guidance out that people could change their car orders (with or without the $500 fee depending on if they were past 7 days or not) but that ANY change to a new battery pack (i.e, 90 to 100D) would result in a new order under the new price book and loss of unlimited supercharging....and I think that was a very fair answer and way for Tesla to do this despite some of the whining we're seeing in this and other threads...

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike and ABC2D

Your thinking about it too much. They are willing to provide you exactly what you ordered. They are also willing to let you change it to the newest, latest model at the current pricing w/o penalty. Buy the car you want, when you want it. If this doesn't have the feature set you want, take a pass on it and see if something better comes along.

When you buy a <insert major upscale car brand here> your likely getting a very very different price from the next person that walks through the door. I paid about $4k more for my BMW M3 than a friend of mine that bought his a month later. And mine was priced just below what my research said was reasonable. They just had a new shipment and wanted to move more cars right after I purchased. They weren't willing to give me any money back. Of course, spy photos came out with the new M3 body style shortly thereafter as well. But, I was still happy with my M3 (except for the rate of tire consumption). Buy what you want at the price your ok with and don't look back.

This is a bit more gut-wrenching as it's difficult to put a price on "unlimited supercharging" - it's going to be different for everyone. Personally, I won't benefit from unlimited SpC. But the one part I'm concerned about is if they happen to become super popular on the resale market. On the other side, I'm thinking the 100d has better longevity due to the new battery pack design.

How do I know...

I'm in the same boat, except my deposit is non-refundable at this point and it will cost me $500 in addition to loosing the super-charging. But still, it's what I expected when I started looking at the car. I was hedging my bets. I was expecting a s100d that would no longer have unlimited supercharging and cost $7500-$10,000 more, a proposition I would have passed on. But since it's coming in at $3k ($4k including repricing and my $500 change fee), it's a really really hard decision.

Just to summarize for those who got fooled:

The OP did NOT get 100D with free UNLIMITED supercharging. He got free 400KWh supercharging per year.

Okay. So he swallowed what some of us spit out. Not sure what he was ecstatic about. From what others have said, he wouldn't be getting his ventilated seats either, but I'm willing to believe he might have gotten special dispensation on that. Did he?