Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your thinking about it too much. They are willing to provide you exactly what you ordered. They are also willing to let you change it to the newest, latest model at the current pricing w/o penalty. Buy the car you want, when you want it. If this doesn't have the feature set you want, take a pass on it and see if something better comes along.

When you buy a <insert major upscale car brand here> your likely getting a very very different price from the next person that walks through the door. I paid about $4k more for my BMW M3 than a friend of mine that bought his a month later. And mine was priced just below what my research said was reasonable. They just had a new shipment and wanted to move more cars right after I purchased. They weren't willing to give me any money back. Of course, spy photos came out with the new M3 body style shortly thereafter as well. But, I was still happy with my M3 (except for the rate of tire consumption). Buy what you want at the price your ok with and don't look back.

This is a bit more gut-wrenching as it's difficult to put a price on "unlimited supercharging" - it's going to be different for everyone. Personally, I won't benefit from unlimited SpC. But the one part I'm concerned about is if they happen to become super popular on the resale market. On the other side, I'm thinking the 100d has better longevity due to the new battery pack design.

How do I know...

I'm in the same boat, except my deposit is non-refundable at this point and it will cost me $500 in addition to loosing the super-charging. But still, it's what I expected when I started looking at the car. I was hedging my bets. I was expecting a s100d that would no longer have unlimited supercharging and cost $7500-$10,000 more, a proposition I would have passed on. But since it's coming in at $3k ($4k including repricing and my $500 change fee), it's a really really hard decision.

All very fair points, and I am probably being a bit unreasonable. I probably will cancel because there is no sense of urgency right now, and reorder when the next "thing" becomes available, or maybe I will just stick with it. Not sure yet.

If your order includes the free supercharging don't cancel it below is the full email from my SC from today. I thought I'd ask about the 100D upgrade and pay the difference before I woke up in a panic. If you cancelled it already then I'd stick with the 100D. HUD is a gimmick, had it in my M3 doesn't work with polarized sunglasses. Supercharging lines are going to be long and painful I'm sure plus my theory is when the model 3 goes into production delivery times are going to tank. Just my theory.

"Hey Danny,

Hahaha, don't worry about it. Honestly it wouldn't make any sense to switch, you would lose free supercharging and your perforated seats. The extra 40 miles of range just isn't worth it.

Can't wait for you to take delivery!"

My SC is a super nice, genuine guy.

I already cancelled. I would regret buying a 90D knowing a 100D is available. Only reason I splurged for the 90D over the 60 was the range will be very useful if not necessary for me. I ended up having to decide which I would regret more, no super charging, or no extra range. would have rather not had to make that decision, but it is what it is.

Reactions: jason1466
I think I will ...wait for HUD, or just all of it in the Model 3 most likely...
I had mine complete in the design Studio. Then I thought about Model 3, for which I must be among the early reservation holders (09:03 Eastern on my reservation time stamp) and about probable long-range options and the near certainty of HUD. When I first flew an airplane with HUD is I seriously hooked. Maintaining situational awareness while also monitoring vehicle operation data will be a big step forward. Thus, I've decided, for now at least, to skip this one. I might regret it.

Okay. So he swallowed what some of us spit out. Not sure what he was ecstatic about. From what others have said, he wouldn't be getting his ventilated seats either, but I'm willing to believe he might have gotten special dispensation on that. Did he?
From overwhelming response by others the answer from ALL Tesla personnel - no 100D will get unlimited supercharging and ventilated seats.

I think OP just counted his chicken before they hatched.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Curious as to why everyone seems to believe that HUD is so certain? As far as I've seen... the speculation is based on some people seeing the prototype Model 3 having a pretty spartan dash, jumping to the conclusion that it must have a HUD to augment the Centre screen, then jumping to the conclusion that Tesla must be planning to introduce it to the S/X soon to test it before the Model 3 comes out. The only added fuel to this rumor-fire is that Tesla has been working on/with some form of augmented reality although details seem to be vague. Seems pretty far-fetched to declare HUD as an imminent feature release based on the above (unless I'm missing something?).

Curious as to why everyone seems to believe that HUD is so certain?
Hardly seems certain, but it seems likely at least to some degree.

1. It's Tesla's style. Get rid of hardware and replace with software. Much more flexible in use and much, much easier to upgrade.
2. Evidence, as you mention, from the Model 3 lack of dash. Not really strong evidence, but indicative.
3. Since people believe "Model S/X gets things before Model 3" it must be imminent.
4. Elon's personality -- there's got to be a huge challenge: the S was everything, the X was the doors, the 3 will be HUD.
5. HUD is simply much better if it's done well. Tesla strives to be better.

From overwhelming response by others the answer from ALL Tesla personnel - no 100D will get unlimited supercharging and ventilated seats.

I think OP just counted his chicken before they hatched.

I have two close contacts at Tesla, one at a high level, and they both indicated to me not even Tesla employees would be able to get a 100D with unlimited supercharging.

Hardly seems certain, but it seems likely at least to some degree.

1. It's Tesla's style. Get rid of hardware and replace with software. Much more flexible in use and much, much easier to upgrade.
2. Evidence, as you mention, from the Model 3 lack of dash. Not really strong evidence, but indicative.
3. Since people believe "Model S/X gets things before Model 3" it must be imminent.
4. Elon's personality -- there's got to be a huge challenge: the S was everything, the X was the doors, the 3 will be HUD.
5. HUD is simply much better if it's done well. Tesla strives to be better.

I'm also curious as to why people believe this. Everything I've seen is that the Model 3 has a large screen located in the center of the car. Indications (I believe they are mock-ups but am not sure) are that part of that screen has traditional dashboard indications (speedometer, etc.). Putting all the indications in the center is cheaper and has been done before (the original mini-coopers were built that way with the speedometer in the center) because you don't need a separate dashboard for right and left-hand drive.

I also don't believe a HUD is much better than a dash, even if done well, but especially with a dashboard display as complex as a Teslas. Let's dissect what a HUD is good for in a car -- speed and turn-by-turn directions (because you don't need to look away from the road to see them and they are constantly in your eye-line). However, there is still some transition from looking out the window (far vision) and reading the data in a HUD display (near vision) because the eyes have to shift back and forth.

In aircraft, HUDs are useful because you can keep your eyes on the HUD while flying an instrument approach because the critical flight data (airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, attitude and the instrument approach lateral and vertical guidance) without looking down at the panel and then looking up to see when you break clear of clouds and transition to visual. The new synthetic vision systems overlaid on top of the HUD also give you awareness because they are depicting terrain and/or the runway exactly where they will appear when you break out of clouds. In military aircraft, the targeting display is projected on the HUD for the same reason -- allows the pilot to keep eyes out the window while engaging a target.

I agree that a HUD is likely in the future based on Tesla's partnership with Panasonic on the technology, but I am not as convinced it will be part of the Model 3. If it is, it would not surprise me if it is a basic HUD mainly showing speed....

Either way, it will be interesting to see what makes it into the Model 3 as they deal with the competing challenges of putting in tech (because it's cool) while also cutting costs to keep the price point down.

It isn't just the past 7 days. It's any order that is more that ~30 days (don't remember exact number) from starting production.

As a shareholder, this does not make me happy. Talking to my DS this morning, he told me many people cancelled last minute their 90's, and only some ordered the 100, and he expects many of them to cancel their 100 before it goes to factory.

All of those 90's would have been slam dunk 100 sales including mine for 3k more then the original order.

You'd think that maybe Tesla could have waited for all "free supercharging" cars to enter production or at least expire out of the "change period" before introducing the 100D. What would it have been, two weeks, max?

That would have avoided lots of headaches, but yeah, sure would have pissed off a lot of people. But at least there wouldn't be this "limbo" area with people caught in the middle.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
You'd think that maybe Tesla could have waited for all "free supercharging" cars to enter production or at least expire out of the "change period" before introducing the 100D. What would it have been, two weeks, max?

That would have avoided lots of headaches, but yeah, sure would have pissed off a lot of people. But at least there wouldn't be this "limbo" area with people caught in the middle.

I kind of thing the whole 15 day extension was to blow more 90's out the door and clear them out. I think it was a bit sleazy to be honest. They probably thought most people would stick with the 90 and the free super charging.

• Disagree
Reactions: jason1466 and EinSV