TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jan 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AVRnj

AVRnj Member

All very fair points, and I am probably being a bit unreasonable. I probably will cancel because there is no sense of urgency right now, and reorder when the next "thing" becomes available, or maybe I will just stick with it. Not sure yet.

2. AVRnj

AVRnj Member

I already cancelled. I would regret buying a 90D knowing a 100D is available. Only reason I splurged for the 90D over the 60 was the range will be very useful if not necessary for me. I ended up having to decide which I would regret more, no super charging, or no extra range. would have rather not had to make that decision, but it is what it is.

• Like x 1
  3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

If only I were "finely aged" myself. Luckily my spouse thinks so, but she demonstrated her perspective by staying with me for nearly 40 years! Not only that she actually encourages my Tesla fixation. Why she calls Cerise, my P85D "your mistress" might be another issue.

• Funny x 3
  4. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I had mine complete in the design Studio. Then I thought about Model 3, for which I must be among the early reservation holders (09:03 Eastern on my reservation time stamp) and about probable long-range options and the near certainty of HUD. When I first flew an airplane with HUD is I seriously hooked. Maintaining situational awareness while also monitoring vehicle operation data will be a big step forward. Thus, I've decided, for now at least, to skip this one. I might regret it.

5. MasterT

MasterT Member

From overwhelming response by others the answer from ALL Tesla personnel - no 100D will get unlimited supercharging and ventilated seats.

I think OP just counted his chicken before they hatched.

• Like x 1
  6. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Curious as to why everyone seems to believe that HUD is so certain? As far as I've seen... the speculation is based on some people seeing the prototype Model 3 having a pretty spartan dash, jumping to the conclusion that it must have a HUD to augment the Centre screen, then jumping to the conclusion that Tesla must be planning to introduce it to the S/X soon to test it before the Model 3 comes out. The only added fuel to this rumor-fire is that Tesla has been working on/with some form of augmented reality although details seem to be vague. Seems pretty far-fetched to declare HUD as an imminent feature release based on the above (unless I'm missing something?).

7. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Hardly seems certain, but it seems likely at least to some degree.

1. It's Tesla's style. Get rid of hardware and replace with software. Much more flexible in use and much, much easier to upgrade.
    2. Evidence, as you mention, from the Model 3 lack of dash. Not really strong evidence, but indicative.
    3. Since people believe "Model S/X gets things before Model 3" it must be imminent.
    4. Elon's personality -- there's got to be a huge challenge: the S was everything, the X was the doors, the 3 will be HUD.
    5. HUD is simply much better if it's done well. Tesla strives to be better.

8. oktane

oktane Active Member

Lack of a HUD is a glaring oversight in a tech car at this price point. I believe it will happen within a year.

9. Nismode

Nismode Member

Which is probably why he hasn't replied :)

10. AVRnj

AVRnj Member

Or he was asked nicely by Tesla not to say any more in the forums and he agrees in order to keep his deal. My guess is he did get it.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

It's also possible he already changed (as quickly as possible, and without asking) his order to 100D without realizing it would loose unlimited supercharging.

12. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

This is my thought. Sounds like he made the change (or assumed he could make the change) before Tesla came out with the official position that it would lose unlimited SC and the ventilated seats.

13. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

I have two close contacts at Tesla, one at a high level, and they both indicated to me not even Tesla employees would be able to get a 100D with unlimited supercharging.

• Informative x 5
  14. drklain

drklain Member

I'm also curious as to why people believe this. Everything I've seen is that the Model 3 has a large screen located in the center of the car. Indications (I believe they are mock-ups but am not sure) are that part of that screen has traditional dashboard indications (speedometer, etc.). Putting all the indications in the center is cheaper and has been done before (the original mini-coopers were built that way with the speedometer in the center) because you don't need a separate dashboard for right and left-hand drive.

I also don't believe a HUD is much better than a dash, even if done well, but especially with a dashboard display as complex as a Teslas. Let's dissect what a HUD is good for in a car -- speed and turn-by-turn directions (because you don't need to look away from the road to see them and they are constantly in your eye-line). However, there is still some transition from looking out the window (far vision) and reading the data in a HUD display (near vision) because the eyes have to shift back and forth.

In aircraft, HUDs are useful because you can keep your eyes on the HUD while flying an instrument approach because the critical flight data (airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, attitude and the instrument approach lateral and vertical guidance) without looking down at the panel and then looking up to see when you break clear of clouds and transition to visual. The new synthetic vision systems overlaid on top of the HUD also give you awareness because they are depicting terrain and/or the runway exactly where they will appear when you break out of clouds. In military aircraft, the targeting display is projected on the HUD for the same reason -- allows the pilot to keep eyes out the window while engaging a target.

I agree that a HUD is likely in the future based on Tesla's partnership with Panasonic on the technology, but I am not as convinced it will be part of the Model 3. If it is, it would not surprise me if it is a basic HUD mainly showing speed....

Either way, it will be interesting to see what makes it into the Model 3 as they deal with the competing challenges of putting in tech (because it's cool) while also cutting costs to keep the price point down.

15. AVRnj

AVRnj Member

For the life of me, I don't understand their stance on this for those who ordered before the 15th. It's not like the 60/75 went down in price at the same time.

16. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

It isn't just the past 7 days. It's any order that is more that ~30 days (don't remember exact number) from starting production.

17. AVRnj

AVRnj Member

As a shareholder, this does not make me happy. Talking to my DS this morning, he told me many people cancelled last minute their 90's, and only some ordered the 100, and he expects many of them to cancel their 100 before it goes to factory.

All of those 90's would have been slam dunk 100 sales including mine for 3k more then the original order.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

You'd think that maybe Tesla could have waited for all "free supercharging" cars to enter production or at least expire out of the "change period" before introducing the 100D. What would it have been, two weeks, max?

That would have avoided lots of headaches, but yeah, sure would have pissed off a lot of people. But at least there wouldn't be this "limbo" area with people caught in the middle.

• Like x 1
  19. AVRnj

AVRnj Member

I kind of thing the whole 15 day extension was to blow more 90's out the door and clear them out. I think it was a bit sleazy to be honest. They probably thought most people would stick with the 90 and the free super charging.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  20. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

I figured that something new was coming, I would think they would have waited will 7 days past the 15th though and released the 100D on the 23rd, now Tesla has a bunch of cancellations with full refunds...