Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 100D with ventilated seats! I DID IT! WOOO WOOOOOOOO!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured that something new was coming, I would think they would have waited will 7 days past the 15th though and released the 100D on the 23rd, now Tesla has a bunch of cancellations with full refunds...

At this point, nobody in their right mind will chose a 90D for 3k less then the 100D, nobody.

So they are going to have to sell those 90's at a much bigger discount to get them out the door.

My DS was pushing pretty hard for me to keep my 90 order and not switch to the 100, he did not push back much at all when i cancelled my 100 order today.

If I was within my 7 day window I would likely cancel and remain in wait and see mode. Since I'm outside the 7 day window I now need to make the decision like a lot of others as to whether I keep the 90D I ordered or change to the 100D, but lose unlimited supercharging, lose the obeche wood decor, and lose the ventilated seats....as well as eat a $500 change fee. Damnit....I hate these Sophie's Choice situations!

If I was within my 7 day window I would likely cancel and remain in wait and see mode. Since I'm outside the 7 day window I now need to make the decision like a lot of others as to whether I keep the 90D I ordered or change to the 100D, but lose unlimited supercharging, lose the obeche wood decor, and lose the ventilated seats....as well as eat a $500 change fee. Damnit....I hate these Sophie's Choice situations!
I'm leaning towards switching. May drop FSDC to keep the outlay the same.

For Tesla, or any company that does build to order, this will always be a concern area. But compared to huge lots of inventory, I think overall it works out for the better.

As a shareholder, this does not make me happy. Talking to my DS this morning, he told me many people cancelled last minute their 90's, and only some ordered the 100, and he expects many of them to cancel their 100 before it goes to factory.

All of those 90's would have been slam dunk 100 sales including mine for 3k more then the original order.
And I haven't even called to do this yet for my order. I was hoping they might change their mind on the hard stance for so many 100K+ orders being cancelled, but I do respect their setting a stance and sticking to it. I just happen to disagree with it, and have nothing to lose in cancelling and waiting for the M3 or something else entirely.

Reactions: toyotaisme
At this point, nobody in their right mind will chose a 90D for 3k less then the 100D, nobody.

So they are going to have to sell those 90's at a much bigger discount to get them out the door.

My DS was pushing pretty hard for me to keep my 90 order and not switch to the 100, he did not push back much at all when i cancelled my 100 order today.

With everything being equal the only way someone is going to pick a 90D over a 100D for $3K less is if the 90D is a software limited version with the same battery.

The battery itself is the most important element because there is the possibility that the 100kW battery can charge at a faster rate of charge. We don't really have any solid information on this other than things gleamed for patents and what we believe is there. But, there is a potential that with an upgraded supercharger that it could charge significantly faster.

When it's all said, and done Tesla made a boneheaded mistake in the timing of the 100D. I agree with Hank in that they should have waited.

Had they waited then people who just ordered a 90D could take solace in knowing they had free supercharging for life.

Instead they punished you and buyers like you by putting you in a bit a pickle, and that's a bit of an understatement.

You canceled because time was no longer of the essence. You had to get the 100D, and either way you'd lose free supercharging. So there was no immediate need to order.

It's not your fault Tesla didn't predict what you'd do.

Reactions: AVRnj
With everything being equal the only way someone is going to pick a 90D over a 100D for $3K less is if the 90D is a software limited version with the same battery.

The battery itself is the most important element because there is the possibility that the 100kW battery can charge at a faster rate of charge. We don't really have any solid information on this other than things gleamed for patents and what we believe is there. But, there is a potential that with an upgraded supercharger that it could charge significantly faster.

When it's all said, and done Tesla made a boneheaded mistake in the timing of the 100D. I agree with Hank in that they should have waited.

Had they waited then people who just ordered a 90D could take solace in knowing they had free supercharging for life.

Instead they punished you and buyers like you by putting you in a bit a pickle, and that's a bit of an understatement.

You canceled because time was no longer of the essence. You had to get the 100D, and either way you'd lose free supercharging. So there was no immediate need to order.

It's not your fault Tesla didn't predict what you'd do.

Yup, exactly! IF I could have gotten a software limited 100 that I could have upgraded, no problem. If they had waited a few months, I probably have my Tesla 90 and love it so much its a non issue. Now, I feel what they did was sleazy, and not only do I have no sense of urgency, I feel less of an itch to even buy a Tesla in the first place. They should have just allowed us to upgrade to the 100D within our time period and keep the super charging. It was a sleazy move that done to push more 90s out the door, and I hope it backfires big time on them.

The only way I see them selling the last remaining 90D's, particularly from cancelled orders, is to offer them with free lifetime supercharging....or seriously discount them. Why else would anybody buy one?

Exactly. Even with free super charging for life, I would not buy one right now, unless they discounted it more than the $3k for the 100D. I had that order and cancelled it.

The only way I see them selling the last remaining 90D's, particularly from cancelled orders, is to offer them with free lifetime supercharging....or seriously discount them. Why else would anybody buy one?

I would imagine they would say they were built before a certain date so they had grandfathered in supercharging. I imagine they'll also have a discount.

So I'm expecting when I do make the decision to upgrade my AP1 70D to a 90/100D with AP2 that I'll be facing a decision between the two. Sometime in March->May time period. Or I might just wait till next March.

I'm expecting to wait till they have an upgraded center console computer.

There are going to be a bunch of buy points coming up so those that do cancel will have plenty of opportunity to jump back on board.

You'd think that maybe Tesla could have waited for all "free supercharging" cars to enter production or at least expire out of the "change period" before introducing the 100D. What would it have been, two weeks, max?

That would have avoided lots of headaches, but yeah, sure would have pissed off a lot of people. But at least there wouldn't be this "limbo" area with people caught in the middle.
Tesla gave people a window of opportunity, not a limbo, to choose 90 with old supercharging plan or a 100 with new supercharging plan. And people complain. Your proposed solution: give people less choice.

No, that's worse for the customer and people would complain even more.

Yup, exactly! IF I could have gotten a software limited 100 that I could have upgraded, no problem. If they had waited a few months, I probably have my Tesla 90 and love it so much its a non issue. Now, I feel what they did was sleazy, and not only do I have no sense of urgency, I feel less of an itch to even buy a Tesla in the first place. They should have just allowed us to upgrade to the 100D within our time period and keep the super charging. It was a sleazy move that done to push more 90s out the door, and I hope it backfires big time on them.

I wouldn't call it "sleazy". "Manipulative" perhaps. I'm trying my best to keep a positive spirit about it. I can't spend this kind of money and have it getting under my skin too much. Too many other issues in life....like what Pinot to open tonight!

I wouldn't call it "sleazy". "Manipulative" perhaps. I'm trying my best to keep a positive spirit about it. I can't spend this kind of money and have it getting under my skin too much. Too many other issues in life....like what Pinot to open tonight!
Thats fair, and if I was already locked in I would probably feel the same way. But I am kind of pissed right now. I was very excited to get a Tesla, now I am kind of turned off by what they did.

As much as I like Tesla I have to admit they make a lot of boneheaded mistakes that they often correct only after it blows up in their face.

Here is a recent list

1 - With the supercharger idle fee they were going to initially charge the fee even at a mostly empty supercharger. They backtracked after a bunch of people blew up about it.

2 - They software limited the number of launches for a P90D without telling anyone before they bought the car. This really came back to bite them. They're going to correct this in a future software upgrade. The P will no longer fall off your P90D. :p

3 - They added a 0 mph over the speed limit to AP1 on undivided roads without even bothering to mention it in the release notes. Lots of people complained including me (I was mad at the secretive part of it). They fixed this mistake with a recent update.

4 - Now the unnecessary timing of the 100D. With just a small buffer away from the expiration of the free supercharging would have done it. Plus this is a car that is road trippers are going to be really attracted to. It's in Tesla's best interest to have these people pay for supercharging because they're going to be doing so much of it.

Part of the Tesla experience is enduring the boneheaded mistakes by Tesla.

Reactions: Cowby
I really don't understand the dilemma. I recently got 75D and love it. I have done some long trips and supercharging has been so easy. Sometimes you take a break for 15 mins, sometimes longer and tie it with a meal. I really don't see a need for 100D for most people. Most people on their daily use will drive less than 100 miles. On long trips with a 90D there should be no issue at all. If I had a 90D order with free unlimited supercharging, I won't even think about changing it.

I need to point out the elephant in the room here. 90D orders can be switched to 100D orders with the relatively minor loss of FUSC and aerated seat, and the minor gain of 38 rated miles, which really is less than 30 miles of real world use.

So those wanting the 100D feel nickeled and dimed over FUSC... since these are nickels and dimes, why on earth are some of you so upset over a few hundred dollars in charging fees over the life of $100K+ car? Most of you won't even keep that car that long for FUSC to make much of a difference. And I surmise most current 90D owners would be glad to loose FUSC for a 100D.

Finally, if FUSC and ventilated seat are important to you, what does it really matter if you get 30 miles less per charge? For the vast majority, it makes little difference. On a road trip with a family, stops are far more dictated by food and bathroom stops than charging.

The upshot is that both options are great, and that the value of either is blown out of proportion here. At least when HW2 came out, those miffed had good reasons to be. HW2 will make a very significant difference down the road from HW1 from a resale and usefulness perspective when (if) FSDC is released. An older HW2 vehicle could turn into a money-generating taxi.

I'm happy with my 90D with FUSC and vented seats, but I probably would upgrade to a 100D if I were in the order pipeline, especially since I have towing plans.