Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 2017 Model X 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After flip-flopping a few times on what to get, we finally found what we were looking for on Saturday, a 2017 Model X 75D (7 seater). As I mentioned on the other subforum, it's not perfect, but it's in fantastic internal condition and only has 32k miles on it. We are former owners of a MYLR so, we have some experience with Teslas but this one is uite different.

There are some initial concerns, some of which won't be a surprise and I will be looking into these in other threads as well.
  1. The FWD door seals on the outside are in bad shape and crumble into my hands with the slightest touch. Thankfully, the inner seals are excellent, so I don't think it will leak water, but the outside ones need to be replaced. Is this something I can do or is this one for Tesla? The biggest problem is we have the cream interior (which we wanted), but the black gunk falls on the seats and creates quite a mess.
  2. The passenger door button doesn't work. The motor works as I can open it from the screen inside, but there's no response outside when I have the fob on me.
  3. Speaking of fobs, we only got one. Can our MX use our PaaK? If not, where can we get a '17 fob. The Tesla website has '21+.
  4. There was no charger cable (TMC) or adapter for J1772. The dealer is supposed to be ordering these, but I will make sure they do.
  5. The rear storage area doesn't have any covers. It's just a hole. It looks like there should be two of them. I haven't found anything like these on Tesla's site or anywhere else yet.
  6. The software is an older version, but I remember not liking the new version much with our MYLR earlier this year. Can I keep rejecting installation? But it's probably better now than it was in January.
  7. Also, I don't want to lose "Low" regen if I update the software. I want to make sure it's grandfathered. It works just how we want it now.
Thanks for any tips.

Best,

Another comment is as respects the app. I submitted the paperwork on Saturday, but it looks like I can't even schedule service until they turn that on. I have the same account from before, but the options are very few right now. Charge my non-Tesla and the various shops.

Attached are a few pictures for reference.

Attachments

• IMG20220828165728.jpg
    IMG20220828165728.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG20220828171630.jpg
    IMG20220828171630.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG20220827185741.jpg
    IMG20220827185741.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 128
After flip-flopping a few times on what to get, we finally found what we were looking for on Saturday, a 2017 Model X 75D (7 seater). As I mentioned on the other subforum, it's not perfect, but it's in fantastic internal condition and only has 32k miles on it. We are former owners of a MYLR so, we have some experience with Teslas but this one is uite different.

There are some initial concerns, some of which won't be a surprise and I will be looking into these in other threads as well.
  1. The FWD door seals on the outside are in bad shape and crumble into my hands with the slightest touch. Thankfully, the inner seals are excellent, so I don't think it will leak water, but the outside ones need to be replaced. Is this something I can do or is this one for Tesla? The biggest problem is we have the cream interior (which we wanted), but the black gunk falls on the seats and creates quite a mess.
  2. The passenger door button doesn't work. The motor works as I can open it from the screen inside, but there's no response outside when I have the fob on me.
  3. Speaking of fobs, we only got one. Can our MX use our PaaK? If not, where can we get a '17 fob. The Tesla website has '21+.
No. "PaaK" was not a feature of the X until the 2021/22 refresh. You can log in the app, and unlock the car, but it requires decent cellular service to the car, and your phone. There is no direct connect, only over the Internet. You must open service ticket to order a new key fob the 2017, and only the Service Center can set it up for you. You probably should probably make it a priority to get a second fob, since on the 2017, the key fob may be the only means of accessing the car. It is hard coded to the car.
  1. There was no charger cable (TMC) or adapter for J1772. The dealer is supposed to be ordering these, but I will make sure they do.
You can order both from the Tesla web site, if your dealer fails. You may also be able get them from your local Service Center.
  1. The rear storage area doesn't have any covers. It's just a hole. It looks like there should be two of them. I haven't found anything like these on Tesla's site or anywhere else yet.
  2. The software is an older version, but I remember not liking the new version much with our MYLR earlier this year. Can I keep rejecting installation? But it's probably better now than it was in January.
You can I suppose. But the car will constantly nag at you to install it. Software updates are always a good thing to apply. The Service Center may apply the updates for you when taking it in for any service. They may require current software to add your second key above.
  1. Also, I don't want to lose "Low" regen if I update the software. I want to make sure it's grandfathered. It works just how we want it now.
You will only want to run with standard regen, especially on a 75 (you'll want to conserve every bit of energy you can). It's not something that can be grandfathered. As soon as the software updates, it will be gone anyway.

Reactions: Falcon73
  4. There was no charger cable (TMC) or adapter for J1772. The dealer is supposed to be ordering these, but I will make sure they do.
  5. The rear storage area doesn't have any covers. It's just a hole. It looks like there should be two of them. I haven't found anything like these on Tesla's site or anywhere else yet.
  6. The software is an older version, but I remember not liking the new version much with our MYLR earlier this year. Can I keep rejecting installation? But it's probably better now than it was in January.
  7. Also, I don't want to lose "Low" regen if I update the software. I want to make sure it's grandfathered. It works just how we want it now.

Congrats on your new (to you) Model X!!!
The quick answer is: 1 through 5 can only be fixed by a visit to your local Service Center.

Here's the long answers:

1.- This is a know issue. Tesla knows about it but some TMC members here were lucky to get them replaced free of charge but some were not. On a very dumb design flaw by Tesla, the rubber seals are part of the FWD roof glass panels, so the whole glass assembly has to be replaced just to fix the deteriorating seals. You can read more on this here and here, but unfortunately there are many threads on the subject.

2.- Sounds like the outside doorhandle button is dead, but Tesla Service should diagnose the problem for you.

3.- The Model X key fob for Sept 2015 to Feb 2021 builds can only be programed by a Mobile Service Technician or at a Service Center. The big issue is that each key fob has a unique ID number that has to be assigned to each vehicle in order for the car to recognize it. Some of the key fobs sold on eBay have their unique ID number already assigned to the previous vehicle, so even Tesla can't add them to your Model X without them unpairing it from the previous car that had it. This can't be done remotely and requires Tesla to physically connect the Bluetooth programing module to the previous vehicle and unpair it there, so buying used key fobs from eBay is not such a good idea.

4.- As @DCGOO mentioned, you can buy both online from the Tesla Shop.

5.- It's only missing one cover, but that cover can be placed on two different levels. You can buy this cover from eBay, there are a few for sale here, here, here and here. I would first request a quote for this part with Tesla, as recently, Tesla has been selling SOME parts cheaper than a few sellers on eBay.

7.- I might be wrong but as long as I'm aware, your Low regen setting won't go away when you update your software. With the introduction of the "Plus" Range models for the Raven configurations (June 2020 to February 2021), Tesla removed the Low regen setting in order to achieve a higher EPA rated miles, but it was not removed from previous models, let alone for a 2017 like yours, so I wouldn't worry about that:

1661810183218.png

These responses are most helpful. Thank you! Here are my reply comments.
  1. FWD: Yeah, from what I'd heard, it's going to be fun on this one. I will check those threads out and see what the seller will do.
  2. Pass Outdoor Handle: Ok, I'll sked an appt when they add our new car to our (existing) account.
  3. Fob: It's a good thing I didn't buy a fob on eBay last night then, but I will make it a priority to work with Tesla on this.
  4. TMC: Ok
  5. Storage cover: what is the best way to get a quote for items not in the shop? but I will check eBay.
  6. Software: Ok - I will probably have to install it at some point.
  7. Regen: ok thanks. There should always be the option IMO, but I should test efficiency both with and w/o.
Here's another one (#8), does our MX 75D have Sentry mode available?

Thanks again!

I doubt it. But it depends on when it was built. Check the B pillars for cameras and the front fender cameras. The eight camera suite is required for Sentry mode, also the MCU2.
The B pillars have cameras and so do the front fenders. It was originally built at the tail end of '17 and delivered in '18.

I'll have to check on MCU2. I recall I need to look for Intel vs. Nvidia to find out on that. If it doesn't have AM radio it's probably MCU2 right?

I'll also check the glove box to see if there's a USB port in there for a thumb drive, but maybe it's somewhere else on the MX.

@Falcon73:

Yes, the January 2022 software update for the 3/Y was a regression in so many ways. It did not goof up much on the legacy S/X’s tho. I can think of no reason to hold off doing a software update on this car.

The USB ports are at the base of the arm rest. No, there are none in the glove box.

You need MCU2 for sentry mode.

I am unclear what doesn’t work on the passenger door - it doesn’t open if you press the handle from the outside? As you mention it doesn’t work when you have the fob, just want to make sure you don’t think it is to auto present. That is driver side only.

Ok thanks. The physical button on the door does nothing. I tried double pressing the fob and also nothing. Only the screen opens it.

I found no evidence of AM or XM radio but is that enough for it to be MCU2 or did they disable that on MCU1s as well? I need to do the screen swipe test. I thought it moved before.

The software version right now is 2021.24.28

New question. Where is the CAN Bus since the OBD2 port doesn't work for the scan my Tesla app.

Thanks!

Ok thanks. The physical button on the door does nothing. I tried double pressing the fob and also nothing. Only the screen opens it.

I found no evidence of AM or XM radio but is that enough for it to be MCU2 or did they disable that on MCU1s as well? I need to do the screen swipe test. I thought it moved before.

The software version right now is 2021.24.28

New question. Where is the CAN Bus since the OBD2 port doesn't work for the scan my Tesla app.

Thanks!

On the MCU, just go to Software -> Additional Information. That will tell you everything you need to know. If you see NVidia, it's MCU1, if you see Intel Atom, it's MCU2.

Well, I'm going to have the software update run tonight. Wish me luck.

As was mentioned, the software upgrade to 11 wasn't nearly as bad with the X as it was with the Y, but I do miss seeing the supercharger icons on the map, just like before. Looks like it didn't get me current yet, however, as it shows version 2022.8.10.1 right now.

And I *didn't* lose Low Regen, which is good. I'm still deciding which I want to use (Low or Standard), however. The fact it doesn't regen to a stop (regardless of the setting) makes me think I'll stick with Low, despite the lower than expected range on this car. In partial testing it's looking like 200 miles may be a dream.

Last edited:
  1. The passenger door button doesn't work. The motor works as I can open it from the screen inside, but there's no response outside when I have the fob on me.

Well, guess what? It *does* work. Apparently, the car had a setting where only the driver door would "unlock" when the car unlocked. It works fine now. :)

However, one additional concern now is the feeble trunk light. I hope I can do something to make the lighting better when loading groceries at night, sheesh.