Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a 2020 Model S Performance, worried I made a mistake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a 2020 Model S Performance and overall, I really like the car. I'm a bit concerned though that Tesla's going to stop supporting the car in a couple of years.

I'm curious, are they supporting the older Tesla's through continued software upgrades and such?

I'm asking because I keep seeing the Model 3/Y get all these new software features and the Model S's (2021+ excluded) seem to be left out of some of them. Most notably, the blind spot detection and the sentry remote live view.

Thanks!

There are some features that aren't supported due to older versions of the MCU or AP computers, but otherwise they are still going strong. AFAIK, the 2020s and 2021s have the same MCU and AP computers as the refresh.

There are some features that aren't supported due to older versions of the MCU or AP computers, but otherwise they are still going strong. AFAIK, the 2020s and 2021s have the same MCU and AP computers as the refresh.

Ah thank you for the response, that helps put my mind at ease.. I really love this car but also don't want to get stuck with something that will not be supported in a couple of years. :(

The refresh has a comptely new MCU (AMD Ryzen vs Intel garbage) and so do the new M3/MY, as far as I know.

I wouldn't count on us getting all the new features going forward (such as blind spot camera) as anything before the refresh is considered "legacy" by Tesla, although I think we will still get updates to the UI and stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: jmaddr
Ah thank you for the response, that helps put my mind at ease.. I really love this car but also don't want to get stuck with something that will not be supported in a couple of years. :(

There is a difference between "not receiving updates" and "not supported". My 2015 Model S doesn't get software updates very often (3-4 a year?). But the car still drives fine, and if something is physically broken Tesla can still fix it.

Cynically, I'm glad it doesn't get many updates because there are fewer opportunities for Tesla to break something. Newer isn't always better.

Bruce.

Newer isn't always better.

Absolutely true. I so wish Tesla would realize this. They've gone way too far on the new cars in just trying to be different. OP purchased a great car, probably the best one ever made. I have a 2019 Raven and love it. Wouldn't touch the new version of the S or X, nor the Model 3. The 2019 and 2020 Model S is the best version of the car ever built, in my opinion. Still USER FRIENDLY. Has the ability for most of Tesla's new FSD features. The new one, to me, is just a glorified Model 3. Congrats to the OP on the purchase.

I just bought a 2020 and on balance, with some of the stuff I've read about the refresh - particularly the yoke and the suspension, and some of the screen behaviors - overall I'm glad I stuck with the "legacy" model. It would be nice to have door pockets though :D

Updates received in 2022 on a 12/2017 Model S with MCU2 / HDW3 / FSD :

Version 11
26.12.2021 2021.44.25.2
12.01.2022 2021.44.30.2
17.01.2022 2021.44.30.7
22.01.2022 2021.44.30.8
25.01.2022 2022.4
09.02.2022 2022.4.5
14.02.2022 2022.4.5.1
23.02.2022 2022.4.5.3
05.03.2022 2022.4.5.5
11.03.2022 2022.4.5.16
28.03.2022 2022.4.5.18
13.04.2022 (11/106) 2022.8.3

11 Software updates in 2022 and 106 since 12/2017

An interesting thread so far. I think the OP's worries are unfounded and he got an awesome car. Especially since the design hasn't changed much it will look good on the road at least until the next major refresh.

I bought a refreshed S and took delivery just before the mini-refresh of lights. While I might have missed out on better headlights, I can't stand how they made the tail look like the Model 3. I have a 3 also and am very glad my S looks different from it. Don't even want to talk about the yoke. I'll take the 3's wheel and stalks any day over the yoke.

As for the blind spot implementation, it is better than nothing but I'd rather have something like an icon in the mirror or some warning if you put on the turn signal. Very distracting where they put the PIP camera view on the screen in the S. You have to take your eyes off the road to use it. Would be better if I could adjust the location and size as well.

Unfortunately, Tesla has labeled your car a "legacy" car as of holidays 2021, and the consensus seems to be that those of us with portrait screens (legacy cars) are being deprioritized moving forward.

Tesla will certainly "support" your car for the foreseeable future, but don't expect to get a lot of new features moving forward. I hope I am wrong, and Tesla starts adding these features to our legacy cars (that clearly can support them) but I don't think that will happen.

I just bought a 2020 and on balance, with some of the stuff I've read about the refresh - particularly the yoke and the suspension, and some of the screen behaviors - overall I'm glad I stuck with the "legacy" model. It would be nice to have door pockets though :D
Traded in 2019 X for 2022 S, totally thrilled with it. Yoke is fine. Given a choice, I’d take the Yoke. Although it’s not a huge deal. Portrait screen made more sense. I actually do like the side camera display with the blinker. “Legacy” cars have more suspension issues than Refresh. That was one of the reasons I traded. I would have been fine keeping the 2019. But with the crazy trades I could not pass up getting all shiny new again. Cost me $10k out of pocket (with FSD on both).