Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a CPO 2012 MS, confused...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a little excited and put the $2500 deposit down on a Model S this weekend. Didn't realize to ship it to Texas would be $2000, but that's my fault. Anyway, specs said nothing about it being a performance version, but the pictures show the P in front of the 85. Did the previous owner, also just realized there were 4 of them since me, just stick that on? Also, hood doesn't look great as you can see. Can I negotiate that down?
Screenshot_20181209-190219.png
-nart_mw.jpeg
rtR-jzyg.jpeg
1iuAeFrQ.jpeg

The price is the price. I don't think there's any wiggle room. By putting the deposit down you pretty much agreed to the terms and condition of the vehicle in the pictures. Not sure about the performance version. You should be able to plug in the vin to see info about the motor and stuff to see if it really was a P or not.

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This is the thread for you! I too bought a CPO 2012 SIG 85. I picked mine up when Tesla was actually still reconditioning the cars to almost new condition when I took delivery. But there are many early adopters and those that are still driving their 2012 Model S there's a wealth of information in this thread reading might be worth checking out. I'd recommend posting there as well.

I'm a year-and-a-half in now roughly never looked back I don't want to drive anything else this car is fantastic. I'm sure you'll feel the same way once you get yours and start driving it is this your first Tesla?

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This is the thread for you! I too bought a CPO 2012 SIG 85. I picked mine up when Tesla was actually still reconditioning the cars to almost new condition when I took delivery. But there are many early adopters and those that are still driving their 2012 Model S there's a wealth of information in this thread reading might be worth checking out. I'd recommend posting there as well.

I'm a year-and-a-half in now roughly never looked back I don't want to drive anything else this car is fantastic. I'm sure you'll feel the same way once you get yours and start driving it is this your first Tesla?
Is it a signature? Doesn't seem to be... Yes, first Tesla ever, had a leaf for years.

Last edited:
Many if not most 2012 Model S are performance versions. The first cars to ship were all high spec P85's with every option. Just like how the Model 3 first shipped in Long Range and Performance trim. As for the interior wear/damage on the pillars when I worked at Tesla that was a very common wear point on the early MS. I wouldn't be concerned about it. As others have said the price is the price and they will not bring it down for condition concerns. As far as cosmetics go I detail cars now and detailing services are cheap in Texas relative to the rest of the country. If you spend $400-$1200 on a detail the appearance of the hood and other panels can be greatly improved, but black cars rarely look fully pristine.

i think when you buy a used tesla there is a checkmark before you put in the deposit saying you agree to the price, know there can be dents and dings, and have reviewed photos. sorry but this is just how tesla is running their used department. you can always move your deposit to a different car within a certain time frame if you really don't like it.

I got a little excited and put the $2500 deposit down on a Model S this weekend. Didn't realize to ship it to Texas would be $2000, but that's my fault. Anyway, specs said nothing about it being a performance version, but the pictures show the P in front of the 85. Did the previous owner, also just realized there were 4 of them since me, just stick that on? Also, hood doesn't look great as you can see. Can I negotiate that down? View attachment 359673 View attachment 359674 View attachment 359675View attachment 359681

Hey @bigbear , congrats and as most said, your gonna love being a Tesla owner. With that said,

Don’t feel locked in just because you put a deposit down, I know from personal experience, if your are not happy with the vehicle (pictures) you can demand a refund or transfer to another vehicle.

The $2K shipping is something they just reinstated, so you can’t negotiate it down, but you can request to pick up or arrange your own shipping company. I believe you would need to show up in person to sign paperwork before sipping, but others can confirm.

You also could just pick up and enjoy a nice long road trip in your new vehicle!

The scratches on the hood are take it as is or leave it. You can’t negotiate down, you can ask if they will fix it but most likely you will get a no.

From the picture, it looks like it may have a clear protective film which would be great if you could remove along with the scratches, but I am not certain.

Good luck and enjoy!

Reactions: bigbear
Hey @bigbear , congrats and as most said, your gonna love being a Tesla owner. With that said,

Don’t feel locked in just because you put a deposit down, I know from personal experience, if your are not happy with the vehicle (pictures) you can demand a refund or transfer to another vehicle.

The $2K shipping is something they just reinstated, so you can’t negotiate it down, but you can request to pick up or arrange your own shipping company. I believe you would need to show up in person to sign paperwork before sipping, but others can confirm.

You also could just pick up and enjoy a nice long road trip in your new vehicle!

The scratches on the hood are take it as is or leave it. You can’t negotiate down, you can ask if they will fix it but most likely you will get a no.

From the picture, it looks like it may have a clear protective film which would be great if you could remove along with the scratches, but I am not certain.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I am happy with the vehicle, just not the shipping price. You did get a refund on your deposit? I don't mind going with Tesla, especially to get the warranty, but there are a lot of great non CPO deals out there too. Have you guys seen prices come down before the end of the year on CPO's?

Good luck and enjoy!

I was thinking that as well. Looks like it might be a tattered clear bra installation.

Many if not most 2012 Model S are performance versions. The first cars to ship were all high spec P85's with every option. Just like how the Model 3 first shipped in Long Range and Performance trim. As for the interior wear/damage on the pillars when I worked at Tesla that was a very common wear point on the early MS. I wouldn't be concerned about it. As others have said the price is the price and they will not bring it down for condition concerns. As far as cosmetics go I detail cars now and detailing services are cheap in Texas relative to the rest of the country. If you spend $400-$1200 on a detail the appearance of the hood and other panels can be greatly improved, but black cars rarely look fully pristine.

Not sure about that? My 2012 is S00162 and isn't a performance model. Though it does have all available options (sans the rear facing child seats).

Thanks for the info, I am happy with the vehicle, just not the shipping price. You did get a refund on your deposit? I don't mind going with Tesla, especially to get the warranty, but there are a lot of great non CPO deals out there too. Have you guys seen prices come down before the end of the year on CPO's?

Agreed, CPO / used warranty is well worth the trouble and hassle of dealing with a broken sales process. I had an up and down experience but in the end, got a car I love and ended up very happy.

My first car I put my deposit on (before we could even see pics) had a dent in the quarter panel. The sales advisor and I were both looking at the pics on the phone together and when I asked if it was a dent he agreed. (You have to remember, these guys don’t have much more info than we do and almost just as surprised when they see that kind of damage).

He offered to transfer my deposit to another vehicle and he would help me look if I could give him details on what I wanted. I then asked if I could get my deposit refunded and he said yes but it takes 10 days or so to process.

I looked at 8-10 different cars and kept asking for pics and info until I finally found the one I ended up buying. Transferred my deposit and was able to inspect and check the car before taking delivery and signing.

Note: the other major flaw in their system , no test drive prior to signing.

My advice. Go in with guarded optimism and don’t be afraid to speak up or walk away if there is something you can’t live with.

Good luck!

Agreed, CPO / used warranty is well worth the trouble and hassle of dealing with a broken sales process. I had an up and down experience but in the end, got a car I love and ended up very happy.

My first car I put my deposit on (before we could even see pics) had a dent in the quarter panel. The sales advisor and I were both looking at the pics on the phone together and when I asked if it was a dent he agreed. (You have to remember, these guys don’t have much more info than we do and almost just as surprised when they see that kind of damage).

He offered to transfer my deposit to another vehicle and he would help me look if I could give him details on what I wanted. I then asked if I could get my deposit refunded and he said yes but it takes 10 days or so to process.

I looked at 8-10 different cars and kept asking for pics and info until I finally found the one I ended up buying. Transferred my deposit and was able to inspect and check the car before taking delivery and signing.

Note: the other major flaw in their system , no test drive prior to signing.

My advice. Go in with guarded optimism and don’t be afraid to speak up or walk away if there is something you can’t live with.

Good luck!

So they will ship it to my local service center, and I can still refuse delivery even after I've paid? The pics do look pretty good, I don't think I would refuse anyway. Also wondering if I should just get out and try to get a refund on the deposit, but this is about 95% of the car I want. I just want rear facing seats for my crazy kids.

So they will ship it to my local service center, and I can still refuse delivery even after I've paid? The pics do look pretty good, I don't think I would refuse anyway. Also wondering if I should just get out and try to get a refund on the deposit, but this is about 95% of the car I want. I just want rear facing seats for my crazy kids.

Sorry. Mine was local so I can’t speak on how deliver works., my guess is the $2k shipping would not be refundable but your deposit would be.

Someone else who knows better maybe can answer.

Funny rear facing seats was the only thing missing on mine as well. Would have been nice but never had it and don’t know if I’m missing out. I Just like the kids in the suv if there is more than 2 of them!

Gives me a reason to buy a X when my lease is up!