Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a CPO 2012 MS, confused...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression you bought a 2013 Tesla MS with an updated 90kW battery pack off of eBay. Call me confused. Recall your other thread was asking questions about the car after you had won the eBay bid instead of asking questions about the car before placing your bid. Assume you got out of that transaction and now are into this one but still wanting to negotiate after buying the car? While it's usually buyer beware I think Seller beware also can apply.

I was under the impression you bought a 2013 Tesla MS with an updated 90kW battery pack off of eBay. Call me confused. Recall your other thread was asking questions about the car after you had won the eBay bid instead of asking questions about the car before placing your bid. Assume you got out of that transaction and now are into this one but still wanting to negotiate after buying the car? While it's usually buyer beware I think Seller beware also can apply.
You're right, I did get out of the ebay auction as I feel more comfortable dealing with Tesla and not a used car dealer in NJ. He was pretty nice though.

While I get maybe not feeling as comfortable going through a third party used car dealer (although they had high marks on ebay), what kind of warranty are you getting with this 1-year older 2012 CPO through Tesla? Had the previous owner purchased the Extended 4-year warranty before selling it back to Tesla? The 2013 ebay car had quite a bit less mileage (17K less) for $600 more, had a relatively new 90kW battery (those came out I think in late 2016 or early 2017) as opposed to the likely original 85kW in the CPO unless you know something different, had only 1 owner, and looked like much better body condition. Probably not much more in delivery fees on the NJ one if not less -- Calif to Texas on the CPO as opposed to the ebay NJ to Texas delivery where they were absorbing the first 500 miles of delivery fee. Both had the tech package, audio upgrade and air suspension.

I'm not sure about refusing delivery once they've shipped a CPO across country for you and then getting your money back, or simply trying to cancelling the agreement you signed and getting money back. These are legal agreements and you should be aware of all of the terms of the agreement before signing. Surprised after your first ebay purchase that you haven't ironed out questions about all this ahead of time. Good luck and hope to welcome you to the Tesla family at some point.

Last edited:
Here are the specs of this car, assuming VIN P02531, found on @EV-CPO by searching archived listings with your sale price, exterior/interior colors and mileage, then plugging the VIN into the Option Code Lookup tab:

Accessories
PA01 Paint Armor
PS00 No Parcel Shelf
X001 Override: Power Liftgate
X007 Daytime running lights

AudioAU01 Ultra High Fidelity Sound

BatteryBT85 85 kWh

ChargingAD02 NEMA 14-50
CH00 Single Charger
HP00 No Wall Connector
SC01 Free Supercharging

ColorCOL1 Solid
Color (Contd)PBSB Black Solid

DecorIDPB Piano Black

Interior OptionsTR00 No Third Row Seat

Interior+SeatsIPMT Tan Leather

ModelDRLH Left Hand Drive
MS01 Model S 2012

PerformancePF00 No Performance Legacy Package
X025 No Performance Package

RegionRENA Region : North America

RoofRFPO All Glass Panoramic Roof

SuspensionSU01 Smart Air Suspension

TechnologyTP01 Tech Package with/o Autopilot
X003 Maps & Navigation
X011 Override: Homelink
X013 Override: Satellite Radio

TrimTM00 General Production Trim

Wheels+TiresWT21 21-Turbine Silver

Option codes supplied by
EV-CPO.com

Reactions: MC408
Here are the specs of this car, assuming VIN P02531, found on @EV-CPO by searching archived listings with your sale price, exterior/interior colors and mileage, then plugging the VIN into the Option Code Lookup tab:

Accessories
PA01 Paint Armor
PS00 No Parcel Shelf

BatteryBT85 85 kWh

ChargingAD02 NEMA 14-50
CH00 Single Charger
HP00 No Wall Connector
SC01 Free Supercharging

ColorCOL1 Solid

DecorIDPB Piano Black

MS01 Model S 2012

X003 Maps & Navigation

Option codes supplied by
EV-CPO.com
Thank you, someone is funny and put a P in front of the 85. I'm happy with those specs regardless.

Accessories
PA01 Paint Armor
PS00 No Parcel Shelf

BatteryBT85 85 kWh

ChargingAD02 NEMA 14-50
CH00 Single Charger
HP00 No Wall Connector
SC01 Free Supercharging

ColorCOL1 Solid

DecorIDPB Piano Black

MS01 Model S 2012

X003 Maps & Navigation

Option codes supplied by
EV-CPO.com
With the paint armor being almost 7 years old, can I just peel it off at this point?

Hi, chiming in a bit late but yes, it has the factory paint armor (our P85 had the same). I'm pretty sure that damage will come off with the film. That's what it's for!

I'm in the process of buying a service loaner S100D. You can refuse delivery once you see it in person but you will sacrifice the $2k transport fee (it was $1k in our case as it was coming from Indy). The $2,500 deposit you can move to another vehicle (at least that was what I was told by the KC sales folks).

Reactions: bigbear
Also the metal pedals are another indication of the performance model.

Those are not included in the standard model unless you buy them from the Tesla online store (like I did) but I wouldn't put a fake P on though. :/

Glad you are happy with the car regardless!

Those are not performance seats, so it’s not a performance model.
Looks like the previous owner added the letter P
Surprised tesla didn’t remove it

Performance Leather seats with the pleather suede inserts were an additional $2500 option on my P85+, they were not included as part of either the base P85 package or the Performance Plus upgrade. Mine's not a 2012 though, I don't know if they required the seats upgrade in 2012.

Performance Leather seats with the pleather suede inserts were an additional $2500 option on my P85+, they were not included as part of either the base P85 package or the Performance Plus upgrade. Mine's not a 2012 though, I don't know if they required the seats upgrade in 2012.
They were in 2012, the performance model came with the performance seats
Tesla later unbundled that option

Also the metal pedals are another indication of the performance model.

Those are not included in the standard model unless you buy them from the Tesla online store (like I did) but I wouldn't put a fake P on though. :/

Glad you are happy with the car regardless!

The early cars were all over the map. I bought a 2012 (signature non performance) VIN# S00162 very early production. It has aluminum pedals, preforated signature white interior. The only thing I don't have are the rear facing child seats.

The early cars were pretty much loaded with what would later become options.