Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought A Cpo 75d But Shows 70d On Screen Of Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled the trigger on a 2016 75D CPO Model S today. The photo request of the car shows its a 70D. I am completely new to this site and this is my first tesla. so what is uncorking and is that what is needed to turn my car into a 75D?

thanks

Some 70D's were a software limited 75KWh. Those cars have available to them a $500 upgrade to unlock the full 75KWh battery capacity (turns the car into 75D). This is different than "uncorking" which changes the firmware of the drive units to provide you with better acceleration profile and unlocks extra power to the motors. Uncorking was available for free to S75D's made after some date (I want to say 2017, but not 100% sure).

Tesla usually unlocks all CPO's, so maybe they took pictures before unlock, or forgot to unlock. It is worth checking though, since there are real 70D's out there which are not upgradable to 75D.

Last edited:
June 2017 cars came uncorked with a new drive unit revision. Then Tesla umcorked cars back as far as 2016.5 with the older drive units but newer battery subsystems. As mentioned, this is all about performance: max torque and max battery settings. Not range.

Likely your car will be delivered range unlocked as a 75D but have a 70D title and not be performance uncorkable.

Last edited:
June 2017 cars came uncorked with a new drive unit revision. Then Tesla umcorked cars back as far as 2016.5 with the older drive units but newer battery subsystems. As mentioned, this is all about performance: max torque and max battery settings. Not range.

Likely your car will be delivered range unlocked as a 75D but have a 70D title and not be performance uncorkable.

Cars upgraded to 75D were uncorkable.

That said, I understand the uncorking was a transient program and there is some question about whether it is still available for an eligible car.