Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a demo car less than a week ago and a tire has a bubble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past Tuesday (5/11/21) I took delivery on a demo M3P with 1000 miles on it for a slightly discounted price. Today I noticed a bubble in the side wall of my rear passenger side tire, I've only put 700 miles on the car myself. I'm planning on bringing it into the service center tomorrow when they open. Is this something that should be replaced under warranty with tesla? I have not hit any sizable pot holes and there is no damage to the rim that I can see.

Attachments

• 2D0BEB30-EF33-49E4-8607-C7DD392BE6E2.jpeg
    2D0BEB30-EF33-49E4-8607-C7DD392BE6E2.jpeg
    428.6 KB · Views: 88
Lol. Stock PZEROs suck so hard. It took me a grand total of 750 miles to blow one out and bubble 2 others. Solution? Aftermarket 19x9s with 245/40/19s.

I’m 1500 miles on the same pothole filled roads here in NYC and haven’t caught a single bubble. Car is a touch quicker dropping nearly 10lbs per corner (that 40 lbs of rotation weight loss is like 175lbs off the weight of the car in terms of performance).

Sorry this happened, but it’s a VERY well known phenomenon that the 20” heavy wheels with the 35 profile tires have a ton of trouble unless you are on very very good roads.

I was having to swap for all seasons at some point anyhow, so I just ditched the stockers in lieu of more sidewall when I got the all seasons (Pilot Sport AS4... which are fantastic btw)

2B909472-BF1C-41D2-9F3E-E9F1849F59C5.jpeg
E3F2D49C-4C5D-41C9-9E8F-F8F971C746A4.jpeg
8ACC3A00-DFB9-4B43-B63A-C07CC2B316AE.jpeg
67AEA72E-83B1-40DB-BEFA-B8AE202063E8.jpeg

Lol. Stock PZEROs suck so hard. It took me a grand total of 750 miles to blow one out and bubble 2 others. Solution? Aftermarket 19x9s with 245/40/19s.

I’m 1500 miles on the same pothole filled roads here in NYC and haven’t caught a single bubble. Car is a touch quicker dropping nearly 10lbs per corner (that 40 lbs of rotation weight loss is like 175lbs off the weight of the car in terms of performance).

Sorry this happened, but it’s a VERY well known phenomenon that the 20” heavy wheels with the 35 profile tires have a ton of trouble unless you are on very very good roads.

I was having to swap for all seasons at some point anyhow, so I just ditched the stockers in lieu of more sidewall when I got the all seasons (Pilot Sport AS4... which are fantastic btw)

View attachment 662957View attachment 662958View attachment 662959View attachment 662960
Yes! I have done a ton of looking into new wheel/tire combo A/S and I think I've made up my mind on 19" MW03 with the 245/40/19 pilot sport A/S 4s. They look great on the car. How did they handle in the snow for you?

Not snow tested yet. Got car in late March and it hasn’t snowed. They handled 15* weather fine (had one crazy cold day).

Let’s put it this way tho; my A/S3+ on a 600+ rwd car was serviceable. The AS4 is supposed to be an improvement in the snow, so with an AWD Tesla I expect them to be fine in light snow with cleared roads we deal with in NYC metro. I can tell you the AS4 is better in wet/dry than the AS3+... noticeably better. And those were pretty good.

I too considered the martians, but went forgestar cuz I got a killer deal (1400 for all 4) and loved the CF5V look in black on the MSM. Where r u located?
The rims look awesome. I'm located just south of Boston, so most of the time I'll be dealing with light snow on plowed roads and ice. I do however need to be able to get to work in any weather, as I work in a power plant.

Yes, I've actually been talking with Danny as of yesterday about some wheels.

Reactions: Mahamilto
Yeah. Same boat here. Work at the hospital so no snow days lol.

U get a tad worse weather than here in NYC... but similar.

Other option is you get dedicated winter boots with winter tires. But then you would have to swap. I think on plowed metro roads you should be fine on the AS4s. On NYC and Long Island roads the AS3+ sufficed just fine in a rwd beast.

Danny is great. I almost felt bad about all the questions, but he was easy to work with. He even went to the local Tesla dealer to pick up a set of Bluetooth TPMS for me. He knows his stuff, and my wheel package came out great.
Do they sell the tires with the wheels there as well? What did you do with your ubertubines? I'm probably just gonna end up selling them on here

I kept mine. The diameter with the stocker is less than 1% off... figured if I blow a tire then I have a spare set of fronts or rears till I can get the new one in. Not ideal, but should work in a pinch tbh.

Considering I only have 2 with useable tires (1 stock without bubbles and the one I had to replace after the blowout), and the blown out wheel picked up a scratch, the resale wouldn’t be that earthshattering financially (probably wouldn’t get 2k after I ship). I like the Uber look too. Never know, may move to FLA or something and be able to go back to summer tires, then make the CF5V a track pack.

So they remain in the back of my garage at least for now.

Do they sell the tires with the wheels there as well? What did you do with your ubertubines? I'm probably just gonna end up selling them on here
Danny will give you a tire rack link that gives him a kickback I think. I did that. Used his link and did tire rack. The tires showed up to my house like 3days later.

Smooth and easy. Then picked a tire shop on Long Island who was recommended by this forum for doing a lot of Teslas. They had 3 tesla in the shop when I went. They used jack pucks. They knew the deal. It was super easy.

Not snow tested yet. Got car in late March and it hasn’t snowed. They handled 15* weather fine (had one crazy cold day).

Let’s put it this way tho; my A/S3+ on a 600+ rwd car was serviceable. The AS4 is supposed to be an improvement in the snow, so with an AWD Tesla I expect them to be fine in light snow with cleared roads we deal with in NYC metro. I can tell you the AS4 is better in wet/dry than the AS3+... noticeably better. And those were pretty good.
I'm using my AS4 only in the 3 seasons. I have a separate set of winter tires for winters.

Danny will give you a tire rack link that gives him a kickback I think. I did that. Used his link and did tire rack. The tires showed up to my house like 3days later.

Smooth and easy. Then picked a tire shop on Long Island who was recommended by this forum for doing a lot of Teslas. They had 3 tesla in the shop when I went. They used jack pucks. They knew the deal. It was super easy.
Where is this shop in LI? I go to LI once in awhile.

Where is this shop in LI? I go to LI once in awhile.

beyond recommend. They had several Teslas in for work at the time. They floor jacked the car to avoid battery issues. Were fast, and prices on par with other places I called.

To avoid issues with the swap I chose them. I’m extremely happy with that choice. Very well run shop.