Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a lovely 2015 MS, but now panoramic stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody!

First time poster, unfortunately with a problem.

I bought a lovely used 2015 model S (was aiming for a model with free SuC). the interior is greatly preserved not to mention the driving experience. I only have the car for a few days thou...
But now I have a stuck panoramic roof.

The first time I tried the roof was 2 days ago and it seems to work fine. Then I accidentally press the Open button while driving on a highway ~ 80mph. As it was raining I closed it right away - could that cause any issues, operating it at such speed?
Then, the next day, I tried it again and it would not open fully. It opened like a few inches and stopped. Had to press Open a few times but same repeated. Moved a few inches and stopped. When I then pressed Close it worked fine. One thing I noticed during opening was a strange "rattling" sound from motor. Like "clicking", hard to explain and unable to record it now (see below why).
After a few hours I tried again. Same thing, opened a few inches and stopped. I then did not want to push it and went to Close straight away. Horror. It would not move a bit. On the screen it was showing like its moving, but its now. Also whats strange is there is absolutely NO sound from the motor.

Questions.

Could the rattling sound be from a motor's gear skipping and eventually went RIP? Or is that somekinda safety feature to prevent failures?
I found that different cars have a dedicated screw somewhere which can be turned and making it manually close it? Does Tesla MS also have that?
How can I find out if my car is pano 1.0 or 2.0? Accoring to free data found it was manufactured right around mid july 2015, which is about the time they started with panoramic 2.0. But how to know from looking at the roof itself?

Is there anything I can do to make it close? I just want to close it for now so I can use the car. will go to Tesla when possible.

Thank you a lot.

Right. It happened :(
So I went and tried it once more. Seems like the motor was only overheated as it worked this time. At least the motor was. Again the rattling/clicking sound and panoramic not moving. Actually it moved a little and stopped. Tried it a coupld of times and ended with this:

1675456818461.png

Both hinges (or whats this part called?) are broken, ripped apart - what hell of a strong motor it must be?

Question. Can i still somehow close the window and put some tape over it, or just leave it as it is and tape over it to prevent any further damage?

According to damage done, can anybody make a good diagnosis of whats wrong and estimate a repair cost? Panoramic suppose to be from Mercedes, right?

Sounds like a dirty rail. They have to be cleaned yearly. I would go to Tesla service center and make them repair it - new motors and hinges. It's quite costly unfortunately... for me it was around USD 1.000 when I had the same issue.

For 1000$ I'll try to fix it on my own first :)

I tried to disassemble it, but no luck. Im stuck at this point.

IMG-2675.jpg

I try to get out this part:

Capture.PNG

I took down the whole fitting but gained to usable access. I think I have to remove frame, but it seems almost like "glued" :(

Any "todo" links I could help with? Im having zero luck finding anything on google.

For 1000$ I'll try to fix it on my own first :)

I tried to disassemble it, but no luck. Im stuck at this point.

View attachment 905871

I try to get out this part:

View attachment 905873

I took down the whole fitting but gained to usable access. I think I have to remove frame, but it seems almost like "glued" :(

Any "todo" links I could help with? Im having zero luck finding anything on google.

I decied to ask Tesla for the quote of this repair and I am shocked - they said 2500€, that is euros. Looks like they want to replace the whole roof or what?

But I dont get it. Only the two hinges are broken. The motors are moving, the glass is fine...it is a 5 hour labour work, but stil... 2500 ??

So I will seek for other options, I am positive even I could fix this with proper tools, the only unknown part is the recalibration. This needs to be done with the Tesla software. Now the question is, can I get this software or is it excluse to the official Tesla services?

I decied to ask Tesla for the quote of this repair and I am shocked - they said 2500€, that is euros. Looks like they want to replace the whole roof or what?

But I dont get it. Only the two hinges are broken. The motors are moving, the glass is fine...it is a 5 hour labour work, but stil... 2500 ??

So I will seek for other options, I am positive even I could fix this with proper tools, the only unknown part is the recalibration. This needs to be done with the Tesla software. Now the question is, can I get this software or is it excluse to the official Tesla services?

Yeah, that's exactly what they do - replace the whole system (literally everything). They don't fix things! And to be clear, you can't do everything yourself, unfortunately.

You can ask them how much to put the glass back in place for it to be stationary and not functional.

ps: The video above, from someone else, is the company that fixed mine for me, and it wasn't cheap either. It's been a few years, but I think I paid somewhere closer to $1,500.

In the latest software (12.x) there's a calibrate sunroof action in the service menu so I believe you can now do this yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: Gtech
Hi, i just bought a 2014 P85d and I have the same issue with the sunroof where it gets stuck open and makes an insanely loud clicking noise when trying to open. It looks like it opens on an angle and will never open fully. Takes a ton of clicks on the close button to actually get it to close again. OP how much did you end up spending? Are there local shops around the Wisconsin area that will fix this? It looks like they have to cut the whole thing out in order to replace it...

Hi, i just bought a 2014 P85d and I have the same issue with the sunroof where it gets stuck open and makes an insanely loud clicking noise when trying to open. It looks like it opens on an angle and will never open fully. Takes a ton of clicks on the close button to actually get it to close again. OP how much did you end up spending? Are there local shops around the Wisconsin area that will fix this? It looks like they have to cut the whole thing out in order to replace it...
You can remove the glass with only 4 screws.
You should be able to troubleshoot with it off.
Instructions in the free on line service manual.

Reactions: LonelyMS