Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a lovely 2015 MS, but now panoramic stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, i just bought a 2014 P85d and I have the same issue with the sunroof where it gets stuck open and makes an insanely loud clicking noise when trying to open. It looks like it opens on an angle and will never open fully. Takes a ton of clicks on the close button to actually get it to close again. OP how much did you end up spending? Are there local shops around the Wisconsin area that will fix this? It looks like they have to cut the whole thing out in order to replace it...
STOP DOING THAT.

That is how I cracked my hinges, because glass got stucked and they I just continue to press open, open, open...until the bitter end :(

Did not spend nothing yet as I will try to find an alternate solution, as tesla service quoted me 2500 euros.

will keep you posted.

But I would suggest you to drive to the tesla service and ask them to take a look, maybe all it takes is a bit of new lubricate and it will work just fine. And perhaps some recalibration.

The root cause of this sounds like more than the hinges breaking…more likely whatever stressors caused those breaks. To me that indicates an investigation into the mechanicals of the system from the hinges back toward the activation motor and all mounts. That is, it appears the troubleshooting should be focused on the tracks and any clogs, the motor’s situation (loose mount, broken connections to the window mechanism), and any parts that transmits movement from the motor to the hinges and hinge mounts. This includes the stops that tell the motor to cease operation both at the fully open and fully closed positions.

To be determined, but this does not sound like a software issue. And yes, Tesla’s estimated costs are both high but sadly expected given the likely full replacement of all parts, the labor required, and hopefully some level of testing when finished. Good luck with whatever you ultimately decide.

The root cause of this sounds like more than the hinges breaking…more likely whatever stressors caused those breaks. To me that indicates an investigation into the mechanicals of the system from the hinges back toward the activation motor and all mounts. That is, it appears the troubleshooting should be focused on the tracks and any clogs, the motor’s situation (loose mount, broken connections to the window mechanism), and any parts that transmits movement from the motor to the hinges and hinge mounts. This includes the stops that tell the motor to cease operation both at the fully open and fully closed positions.

To be determined, but this does not sound like a software issue. And yes, Tesla’s estimated costs are both high but sadly expected given the likely full replacement of all parts, the labor required, and hopefully some level of testing when finished. Good luck with whatever you ultimately decide.
My understanding is that primary cause for failures with this sunroof design is due to a lack of lubrication. Friction causes failures (over time and then, abruptly).

Reactions: Gtech
What I was able to diagnose is the front hinges got stucked. The ones that are not connected to the cable, those are hard to move when with hand. The broken hinges move freely when disconnected from the glass. I guess the lack of lubrication or some physical damage.