Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a LR RWD with 55k on it for 52. Shd I cancel and buy new SR+ instead ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The interiors are identical. For $300 us or $400 cad you can activate the rear heated seats.

I hooked up the rear speakers and added a sub to my SR+ was not s big deal.

If you buy the LR in 25k you have no warranty aside from driveline.
What are you talking about the new vehicle warranty is 4 years or 80,000KM so it still has that. And the battery warranty is longer vs standard range(8 years 192,000KM vs 160,000KM) and he get’s more range in a battery that you can’t add later.

I would still go with the LR, but that’s just me.

I would go with LR
As per Elon this car is built to last, unlike the early model S. Mine has over 40k km and I still get over 500km
SR+ gets you roughly 340km as you charge to 80%
In winter, you get way less even for mild Vancouver winter.
If this is not your primary car, I would go with SR+, if not LR for sure.

It's funny how many people ignored the fact that SR+ is RWD and of course, they would claim to be "fine" in winter. I have had 3 RWD cars in my garage as of 2 months ago (2 sports and 1 EV, all with xice3), none of them will be able to get me out of trouble if a snow storm hits. I even had issues just getting up a very mild ramp in a parking lot.

The discussion should be two part - RWD vs AWD and the price.

First of all, I would never spend $50k+ on a RWD daily car in Canada. It's all great until the day that you get stuck. The slip start helps, the weight of the battery pack helps, experience can also help, but physics is physics. My experience tells me that all you need is one occasion that you need that 4 wheels to put power down to get out of trouble, the extra cost would be justified. There has been way too many hairy moments with my RWD cars in winter that I don't think it's worth it if it's your daily car. Weekender or fun car is a totally different story though, apply that to your situation. Seeing that you are in Vancouver, this may also not impact you as much as us in Toronto. The other piece is also the acceleration on the AWD is noticeably quicker, the premium sound is enjoyable, the rear heated seats are nice (although upgradable).

Second part of it, with 55k is quite a lot of km for a relatively new car, I'd stay away from it regardless of warranty. It's a decent amount of savings given Tesla's resell value, but it also isn't enough for me to take on a car with this mileage when it's only a year or two old. However this is a personal preference and your experience with used cars, some people might feel comfortable with it.

For reference, I still have my RWD cars as fun cars, with a LR AWD as my daily commuter.

It's funny how many people ignored the fact that SR+ is RWD and of course, they would claim to be "fine" in winter. I have had 3 RWD cars in my garage as of 2 months ago (2 sports and 1 EV, all with xice3), none of them will be able to get me out of trouble if a snow storm hits. I even had issues just getting up a very mild ramp in a parking lot.

First of all, I would never spend $50k+ on a RWD daily car in Canada. It's all great until the day that you get stuck. The slip start helps, the weight of the battery pack helps, experience can also help, but physics is physics. My experience tells me that all you need is one occasion that you need that 4 wheels to put power down to get out of trouble, the extra cost would be justified. There has been way too many hairy moments with my RWD cars in winter that I don't think it's worth it if it's your daily car. Weekender or fun car is a totally different story though, apply that to your situation. Seeing that you are in Vancouver, this may also not impact you as much as us in Toronto. The other piece is also the acceleration on the AWD is noticeably quicker, the premium sound is enjoyable, the rear heated seats are nice (although upgradable).

Second part of it, with 55k is quite a lot of km for a relatively new car, I'd stay away from it regardless of warranty. It's a decent amount of savings given Tesla's resell value, but it also isn't enough for me to take on a car with this mileage when it's only a year or two old. However this is a personal preference and your experience with used cars, some people might feel comfortable with it.

For reference, I still have my RWD cars as fun cars, with a LR AWD as my daily commuter.
The OP isn't considering AWD vs SR+, it's LR RWD vs SR+....It would be a no brainer to get the AWD for essentially the same price as a new SR+, but that isn't the situation here....

Reactions: Goodtohave

As stated the LR in question is RWD.

I am a long time BMW guy and have a 6 speed x drive wagon with studded Gislaveds.

I have an SR + with Nokian Hakkapellita 9 factory studs. It is amazing in the snow. And I live in Montreal.

A Tesla is not Rear wheel drive like an old pickup truck. The weight distribution is completely different and the drive unit is between the wheels.

My leaf was also excellent in the snow with all the weight down low.

Don’t get me wrong money no object There is no reason not to get AWD long range but for me losing the $8000 rebate and now the $5000 as well I could not justify losing $13000.

When the rebates are over it is a other story.

Reactions: richyrich
As stated the LR in question is RWD.

I am a long time BMW guy and have a 6 speed x drive wagon with studded Gislaveds.

I have an SR + with Nokian Hakkapellita 9 factory studs. It is amazing in the snow. And I live in Montreal.

A Tesla is not Rear wheel drive like an old pickup truck. The weight distribution is completely different and the drive unit is between the wheels.

My leaf was also excellent in the snow with all the weight down low.

Don’t get me wrong money no object There is no reason not to get AWD long range but for me losing the $8000 rebate and now the $5000 as well I could not justify losing $13000.

When the rebates are over it is a other story.

ha! My apology guys :)

Hopefully my post will be find useful for someone else that's in "that" situation then!

With that said, 100% new SR+!

Reactions: Goodtohave

Personally I dont agree. I am in Toronto and have drive rear drive BMW for 35 years...yeah I'm getting up there...anyway I have an SR+ and no issues in winter...none as with my previous BMWs. No snows.

Now, to be transparent I drive 99.9% in and around Toronto area. My wife has a BMW X3 that I can use if a snowmaggeden were to hit which did not happen once this year.

IMO the rear drive SR+ is fine all year around. However, for better traction and if you go North or commute to the north get snows.

For GTA, nah good with the all seasons no hassle at all. Just my 2.