Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a Mar 2016 S 90D; screen and battery observations / questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the start of June I bought a used 90D from tesla. Specifically a March 2016 S90D.

Love the car except I got rear-ended the first week I got it. Looks like a Camry dent but sadly to the aluminum not the bumper. Was quoted at $4k to pull it out and repaint it (and replace the bumper), the only issue being the body shop is backed up and I can't get it repaired until mid-July. Sigh. Thankfully their insurance is paying.

The car is stupid-fast and I love that it basically drives like a manual transmission car where the engine doesn't stall if you come to a stop and engine doesn't have a redline...

I'm shocked the actuaries at Tesla allow a 4 year B2B warranty on a 2016 to be restarted in 2019 but good for me; the car has 45k miles so it really is going to be at the ragged edge of their parts supply chain.

With my car, I get 277 at 100% and 250 at 90% and after running it down to 18% in a single drive those numbers seem about right, maybe a little optimistic. It has the worst of the 90 battery packs. It seems weirdly difficult to get actual expected mileage numbers about the pre-facelift 90d versions of the car.

Attached is a picture of my screen off and in cleaning mode; there is an interesting border around the border -- does this mean I have a "you're going to get a yellow border" screen or do I still have a "your screen is going to leak goo everywhere and get bubbles" screen?

Also, has the MCU flash write endurance problem been "solved" in recent firmware versions such that the OS doesn't over-log?

Overall, I love the car.

Attachments

• IMG_20190707_175215_DRO.jpg
    IMG_20190707_175215_DRO.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 118
Nice way to get the B-B almost 10 100K and congrats on the car. I haven't seen the border color like that but its seems most get a yellow border when the screen brightness is set to max, which I don't like, hence I don't see a yellow border either.

Not sure about your screen, but I believe the B2B warranty is 4 years or 50k miles. You should only have about 5k miles left on the B2B warranty.

the tesla used warranties are ... not 100% straightforward. The 4 year is 4 years from purchase date or 50k miles more; the 2 year is 2 years from purchase date or 100,000 miles.

Almost all 2 year warranty used cars are over 50k miles so you net out less than 50k miles more of b2b (an exception would be a car given a 2 year warranty because it is too old; I'm not sure if those even exist).

Tesla's approach to supply chain management reminds me of 1960's Ferrari; is there a cutoff for which version of MCU screen is installed?

My car is a January 2016 S90D. 277 at 100% and 250 at 90% is exactly what I get. It was rated at 288, not the 294 that later cars were rated at.
How many miles do you have? I have a S90D with 68k miles and a 90% at 233, 100 around 260. But Teslafi told me this morning that 10% of my battery was 7KWh which would mean over 20% degradation if true..

Edit: November 2015 S90D

My car is a January 2016 S90D. 277 at 100% and 250 at 90% is exactly what I get. It was rated at 288, not the 294 that later cars were rated at.

My Feb 2017 S90D was rated for 294 at purchase and now is 278 @100%. I usually get pretty close to 278 actual if I don’t drive it “like a Tesla”. :)

36k miles. Usually charge to 80%. Haven’t used supercharging very much. Stored winters at 50%. Typically drive down to 20%.

How many miles do you have? I have a S90D with 68k miles and a 90% at 233, 100 around 260. But Teslafi told me this morning that 10% of my battery was 7KWh which would mean over 20% degradation if true..

Edit: November 2015 S90D
I am just under 14,000 miles on the odometer but 13,000 miles on the battery. The first was replaced at 920 miles when the maximum range dropped to 100 miles.

Usable capacity is 81.8 kWh

Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs - Electrek

10% is 8.18 kWh
If yours is now at 7 kWh, that is a 1.18 kWh drop, which is 14.4%.

I am just under 14,000 miles on the odometer but 13,000 miles on the battery. The first was replaced at 920 miles when the maximum range dropped to 100 miles.

Usable capacity is 81.8 kWh

Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs - Electrek

10% is 8.18 kWh
If yours is now at 7 kWh, that is a 1.18 kWh drop, which is 14.4%.

Ah, looks like the 77 was from an 85, must of looked wrong. Well it is what it is. Not happy with the loss but am happy with the car. Take my first greater than 200 mile drive tomorrow so I will see how that goes.

Thanks for the info on the actual capacity.

At the start of June I bought a used 90D from tesla. Specifically a March 2016 S90D.

Love the car except I got rear-ended the first week I got it. Looks like a Camry dent but sadly to the aluminum not the bumper. Was quoted at $4k to pull it out and repaint it (and replace the bumper), the only issue being the body shop is backed up and I can't get it repaired until mid-July. Sigh. Thankfully their insurance is paying.

The car is stupid-fast and I love that it basically drives like a manual transmission car where the engine doesn't stall if you come to a stop and engine doesn't have a redline...

I'm shocked the actuaries at Tesla allow a 4 year B2B warranty on a 2016 to be restarted in 2019 but good for me; the car has 45k miles so it really is going to be at the ragged edge of their parts supply chain.

With my car, I get 277 at 100% and 250 at 90% and after running it down to 18% in a single drive those numbers seem about right, maybe a little optimistic. It has the worst of the 90 battery packs. It seems weirdly difficult to get actual expected mileage numbers about the pre-facelift 90d versions of the car.

Attached is a picture of my screen off and in cleaning mode; there is an interesting border around the border -- does this mean I have a "you're going to get a yellow border" screen or do I still have a "your screen is going to leak goo everywhere and get bubbles" screen?

Also, has the MCU flash write endurance problem been "solved" in recent firmware versions such that the OS doesn't over-log?

Overall, I love the car.

No on the yellow border screen. You’re seeing the inner bezel.

Interesting on your miles .... Mine S is the same vintage only with over 100,000 miles now. The 100% and 90% are identical. It’s been Superchargered hundreds of times is driven every day hot, cold, blizzard, arctic blast. The car has been rock solid.

My personal opinion is that’s a really good vintage for Tesla’s.