Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a model Y, how does aftermarket wheels/tires work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, new model Y owner here. So I did not get the 20' rims for $2,000, because I figured I could find other aftermarket wheels and tires that I enjoy better. Is there any issues or things I would need to watch out for if I wanted to change the 19' to 20"+ wheels and tires. I know I would need to buy new tires as well. But when switching them out or buying new tires is there anything unique about Tesla's bolt or lineup?

Thank you for the help

You can swap the Tesla Model Y's 19" wheels w/Gemini wheel covers for the Tesla 20" Induction wheels or the Tesla 21" Überturbine wheels.

See TSportline: The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Tire size comparison calculator: Tire Size Comparison

There are a number of after market wheels made to fit the Tesla Model Y including:
Martian Wheels

Be sure that any wheels you want to use meet the Tesla Model Y gross axle weight rating (GAWR) specifications: (Source: Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 182.)

GAWR Front (all tires): 3005 lbs
GAWR Rear (19"): 3607 lbs
GAWR Rear (20"): 3307 lbs
GAWR Rear (21") 3505 lbs

If you go up in size 2" expect to lose about 9% in efficiency.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
You can swap the Tesla Model Y's 19" wheels w/Gemini wheel covers for the Tesla 20" Induction wheels or the Tesla 21" Überturbine wheels.

See TSportline: The Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Guide. Complete Tesla Model Y Wheel Specs. - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Tire size comparison calculator: Tire Size Comparison

There are a number of after market wheels made to fit the Tesla Model Y including:
Martian Wheels

If you go up in size 2" expect to lose about 9% in efficiency.

Thank you, I don't mind efficiency because I live in Hawaii so all my driving is short distances.

The performance Y has the 21" staggered wheels (rear wheels/tires are wider than front). I wouldn't venture into 22" wheels/tires only because the ride comfort will suffer greatly. Some have expressed harsh ride feel even with 20" setup.

The only thing you need to lookout for is just making sure the TPMS sensors are transferred from your current set to the new wheels. Or you can purchase a new set of TPMS from Tesla for $75 a piece and keep your current setup as a spare.

Just as a reference, I am running a set of flow forged 20" wheels with 255/40/20 Pirelli P-Zero tires which are spec'd the same as OEM 20" setup. The ride quality isn't bad but it could be better. I will probably go to a 265/40/20 setup to give me some more side wall and width on the next set for better comfort.

+30mm offset would be a bit on the aggressive side (may poke out beyond the wheel wells). I'd go with the +40mm offset.

Thank you, I agree that the +40 is best with your explanation. But these wheels are only 20x8.5" for the front and the back. Is that a big difference than 20x10". Not sure what I need to look out for when buying new tires as well.

Big issue is to make sure both tires and wheels have proper load ratings. Forged rims tend to be much stronger than cast, but some aftermarket cast rims are much stronger than others.
So many owners buy mostly on price and looks. Gotta dig a little deeper.

255 will probably be the widest you want to go on a 8.5 wide wheel. 275 is too wide for a 8.5” wheel. Here is a chart you can reference to for tire and wheel width for most cases.

https://www.tiresandco.ca/tire-equivalence-advice.html

Personally, I’ve ordered some 265/40/20 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA5 for my winter setup Signature SV107 wheels. The wheels are coming off my Model 3 that are 20x9 in size.

Any recommendations on tire to purchase? I am going to go with the 20x8.5 with +40 offset. Now I just have to figure out what kind of tire to buy. Most 275/40 appear to have a 20 after it. Does that mean all these tires will have the same diameter?

You should stick with 255... I saw a couple of guys have it on 8.5 wheels. You get plenty of sidewall protection. I think 265/275 you will start taking significant decrease in range.

https://www.signaturewheel.com/products

I went with the SV-503, these guys know the Model Y and specs these are track editions at 14 Lbs each.

9FD1B0BD-CFC9-46C6-A109-20E0190CCF85.jpeg

Reactions: Ruffles and dmd2005