Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a P3D- for many reasons - environmental consideration wasn't one of them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't intend to start a flame war or any political discussion whatsoever. I just want to get this off my chest & get a feel for how many others like me are out there. I can appreciate the arguments around the reduction in fossil fuel usage etc. But for me, personally, that wasn't a primary concern. Maybe I'm overthinking how people view Tesla owners... Or I'm spending too much time reading the cesspool that is reddit.

The Model 3 wasn't part of my decision set when I was car shopping - I just happen to have a Tesla store 5 minutes from my house and figured what the hell, let's see what's up. Drove a P3D+ and was blown away. Found out about the P3D- and was sold.

The reasons why I chose this car:
  1. Performance. An AWD car that hits 60 in 3 seconds for $50K w/ no mechanical guilt. Instant "throttle" response. Pretty good handling (hoping MPP coilovers + PS4S tires dial it in to where it should be).
  2. Mechanical simplicity. I enjoy tinkering, but fixing an endless stream of leaking transmissions/differentials/gaskets eventually starts getting old (looking at you, BMW). I plan to keep this car a long, long time & hope its simple mechanical nature means that it'll be extremely reliable & perform as it does for longer & with fewer issues than an ICE car.
  3. Practicality. It's a high-performance car but I don't have to worry about getting valve adjustments every 50K miles, or turbocharger heat soak, or carbon buildup, or endless debates about oil catch cans, or making sure it's warmed up before driving hard, or feeling like an idiot shuffling to & from work in a 400+ hp machine that gets 16 mpg in stop & go traffic that seldom sees over 35 mph. And it seats 5 people & has a crazy amount of space vs. a similarly-sized conventional car.
  4. Daily driving is extremely easy. I really don't like firing up an ICE car to make short trips - it feels wasteful & "unhealthy" for the car. Battery doesn't charge well, cats don't heat up, nor does the engine, etc. Silly concern but there's no such thing in the Tesla - it's ideal for daily driving.
  5. Looks. I don't think the Model 3 looks spectacular, by any means. But "evolving" pedestrian safety standards & endless bloat has rendered most cars looking pretty awful. Gone are the days of svelte, understated styling. So compared to the other options, I think it's pretty good, especially lowered with meaty tires + chrome delete.
  6. Finally - everything else sucks in comparison. There's nothing as good, especially at the same price point. It's either too dated, too watered-down/boring/suited for the masses, or doesn't come in a manual... something I dearly want in an ICE car. Most manufacturers have simply forsaken the enthusiast & are computerizing every facet of the driving experience. Might as well take it all the way & go for the car that takes this concept to the extreme, but wraps it up in a novel & thrilling driving experience.

Agree on most of ur points
I just really enjoy cars and newest tech so tesla model 3 was perfect
Knew performance on paper of P3D was good but was not even close to ready for the reality of the brutal acceleration available.
Finding out about unicorn P3D- bonus
Do like idea of zero emissions / less reliance fossil fuels / look forward to day when majority consumer autos zero emission but like you not my primary reason for purchase if we are all being honest here

Environmental concern was not on my radar. It's a nice secondary benefit...but I wanted performance (I do HPDE track days), low maintenance cost, low energy/fuel cost, and I wanted the AZ cloud plate so I can use the HOV lane. Got all of those with my P3D.

Hell I was a diesel truck guy a few years ago. How the tables turn with a good product.

1. Daily driving is extremely easy. I really don't like firing up an ICE car to make short trips - it feels wasteful & "unhealthy" for the car. Battery doesn't charge well, cats don't heat up, nor does the engine, etc. Silly concern but there's no such thing in the Tesla - it's ideal for daily driving

I’m glad you brought up this point. I’m in a similar situation to you; chose my Model 3 to replace my daily driver and did away with my Gallardo Spyder at the same time.

I really chose the Model 3 because I appreciate the fine engineering solution an electric drivetrain provides. It works so well as a daily driver, no problem for a short trip (no need to warm the engine before setting off for a smooth change into 2nd etc.) and also delivers exhilarating performance on longer trips (I think the handling/ride is superb, too).

Just as you said, there’s none of that ‘about to break’ feeling that you have with an Italian car (even one made with German bits), there’s no hot oily smells, no unexpected clunks and lurches or clutches wearing out, no exhaust tips or taillights falling off because their plastic mountings have turned brittle with heat from the exhaust, etc. etc.

Most people will never know how good it is :D

-Alex

I don't intend to start a flame war or any political discussion whatsoever. I just want to get this off my chest & get a feel for how many others like me are out there. I can appreciate the arguments around the reduction in fossil fuel usage etc. But for me, personally, that wasn't a primary concern. Maybe I'm overthinking how people view Tesla owners... Or I'm spending too much time reading the cesspool that is reddit.

The Model 3 wasn't part of my decision set when I was car shopping - I just happen to have a Tesla store 5 minutes from my house and figured what the hell, let's see what's up. Drove a P3D+ and was blown away. Found out about the P3D- and was sold.

The reasons why I chose this car:
  1. Performance. An AWD car that hits 60 in 3 seconds for $50K w/ no mechanical guilt. Instant "throttle" response. Pretty good handling (hoping MPP coilovers + PS4S tires dial it in to where it should be).
  2. Mechanical simplicity. I enjoy tinkering, but fixing an endless stream of leaking transmissions/differentials/gaskets eventually starts getting old (looking at you, BMW). I plan to keep this car a long, long time & hope its simple mechanical nature means that it'll be extremely reliable & perform as it does for longer & with fewer issues than an ICE car.
  3. Practicality. It's a high-performance car but I don't have to worry about getting valve adjustments every 50K miles, or turbocharger heat soak, or carbon buildup, or endless debates about oil catch cans, or making sure it's warmed up before driving hard, or feeling like an idiot shuffling to & from work in a 400+ hp machine that gets 16 mpg in stop & go traffic that seldom sees over 35 mph. And it seats 5 people & has a crazy amount of space vs. a similarly-sized conventional car.
  4. Daily driving is extremely easy. I really don't like firing up an ICE car to make short trips - it feels wasteful & "unhealthy" for the car. Battery doesn't charge well, cats don't heat up, nor does the engine, etc. Silly concern but there's no such thing in the Tesla - it's ideal for daily driving.
  5. Looks. I don't think the Model 3 looks spectacular, by any means. But "evolving" pedestrian safety standards & endless bloat has rendered most cars looking pretty awful. Gone are the days of svelte, understated styling. So compared to the other options, I think it's pretty good, especially lowered with meaty tires + chrome delete.
  6. Finally - everything else sucks in comparison. There's nothing as good, especially at the same price point. It's either too dated, too watered-down/boring/suited for the masses, or doesn't come in a manual... something I dearly want in an ICE car. Most manufacturers have simply forsaken the enthusiast & are computerizing every facet of the driving experience. Might as well take it all the way & go for the car that takes this concept to the extreme, but wraps it up in a novel & thrilling driving experience.
you've pretty much hit everything on the head as far as how my thought process went. Tesla was never on my radar. i never thought i would be happy unless i purchased the most expensive one and at the end of the day, there's still a carbon footprint (what happens to the batteries?)

also, updoot for reddit reference. one of us.

Reactions: Dolemite
All your points plus, it does look pretty spectacular.

I was shopping the LR AWD against the charger scat pack, camaro SS, KIA Stinger/Genesis G70. Those would have been a mistake and I'm glad I was able to grab a stealth performance.

IMG_20191126_105817.jpg

Reactions: Dolemite
Status
Not open for further replies.