Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a P3D- for many reasons - environmental consideration wasn't one of them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a 4100-pound Model 3 that chews through rubber,

Maybe my car is special but it's not chewing through tires, my OEMs are just shy of 27k, mostly highway, local commuting and 1 track event.. I'm guessing I have 5k left easy enough, if I behave.

Minimal brake dust, no idling in mind numbing traffic, no gas stations (I honestly never knew how smelly the car made the garage with the simple act of pulling into the building) no regular oil changes, yada yada

I get your point that nothing is perfect but it's a damn sight better than the fossil fuel toys I used to play with.. in lots of ways

Are you me? Because this 100% sounds like me, tone and all. Except I went for the LR AWD at the end of the day rather than P3D.

Great post. Cool to see other car enthusiasts migrating over.

I don't intend to start a flame war or any political discussion whatsoever. I just want to get this off my chest & get a feel for how many others like me are out there. I can appreciate the arguments around the reduction in fossil fuel usage etc. But for me, personally, that wasn't a primary concern. Maybe I'm overthinking how people view Tesla owners... Or I'm spending too much time reading the cesspool that is reddit.

The Model 3 wasn't part of my decision set when I was car shopping - I just happen to have a Tesla store 5 minutes from my house and figured what the hell, let's see what's up. Drove a P3D+ and was blown away. Found out about the P3D- and was sold.

The reasons why I chose this car:
  1. Performance. An AWD car that hits 60 in 3 seconds for $50K w/ no mechanical guilt. Instant "throttle" response. Pretty good handling (hoping MPP coilovers + PS4S tires dial it in to where it should be).
  2. Mechanical simplicity. I enjoy tinkering, but fixing an endless stream of leaking transmissions/differentials/gaskets eventually starts getting old (looking at you, BMW). I plan to keep this car a long, long time & hope its simple mechanical nature means that it'll be extremely reliable & perform as it does for longer & with fewer issues than an ICE car.
  3. Practicality. It's a high-performance car but I don't have to worry about getting valve adjustments every 50K miles, or turbocharger heat soak, or carbon buildup, or endless debates about oil catch cans, or making sure it's warmed up before driving hard, or feeling like an idiot shuffling to & from work in a 400+ hp machine that gets 16 mpg in stop & go traffic that seldom sees over 35 mph. And it seats 5 people & has a crazy amount of space vs. a similarly-sized conventional car.
  4. Daily driving is extremely easy. I really don't like firing up an ICE car to make short trips - it feels wasteful & "unhealthy" for the car. Battery doesn't charge well, cats don't heat up, nor does the engine, etc. Silly concern but there's no such thing in the Tesla - it's ideal for daily driving.
  5. Looks. I don't think the Model 3 looks spectacular, by any means. But "evolving" pedestrian safety standards & endless bloat has rendered most cars looking pretty awful. Gone are the days of svelte, understated styling. So compared to the other options, I think it's pretty good, especially lowered with meaty tires + chrome delete.
  6. Finally - everything else sucks in comparison. There's nothing as good, especially at the same price point. It's either too dated, too watered-down/boring/suited for the masses, or doesn't come in a manual... something I dearly want in an ICE car. Most manufacturers have simply forsaken the enthusiast & are computerizing every facet of the driving experience. Might as well take it all the way & go for the car that takes this concept to the extreme, but wraps it up in a novel & thrilling driving experience.

Reactions: Dolemite
where would you pull over to shovel coal into your car?

people are doing the right thing. who cares what the motives are or aren't. you're getting the behavior you want out of people.

take the small victory for what it is.
Maybe the Steamla has an auto coal bin filling and shoveling system and there are coaling stations all over the place. My point is that a good percentage of the population only cares about money or performance or both no matter what the environmental costs. That's a little depressing especially when even a tiny amount of research can show anyone the true costs.

Great post. I bought mine (P3D) because economically and logistically it made sense:
  • 100 mile round trip commute everyday
  • HOV Access, LA traffic.
  • Auto Pilot for traffic - specially since i don't have to mess around with a clutch anymore in stop n go traffic
  • Quick, decently fun.
  • Free Charging at work. This is what ties everything together. The gas savings basically makes the payment for the Model 3 the same as an econobox + gas.
That it, I don't give a *sugar* about the "Tesla lifestyle" nor care about riding Elon's nuts. Its an entry level luxury car that is great for commuting.

The thing that worries me about people that say they only bought one because it's a better performing car is that it seems to indicate that if a steam powered, coal burning, smoking, nightmare came along and it was somehow a better performing car than an EV they'd buy that instead. I'm glad that people who have no interest in stopping global warming (or don't believe it) are buying Teslas, but to me it's still disturbing that some people don't care.

Bingo...

ianc

Those people would be driving 10mpg Range Rovers and Mercedes S class otherwise, not Prius. So yeah, big house and Tesla is working to reduce GHG emissions. Next is 12mpg diesel drivers with the best truck ever made.

I specifically bought a VW Passat Diesel because it was supposed to be better for the environment (thanks VW...)

Exactly. When people ask about the car, I don't even bring up the environmental benefits. People are tired of hearing the soapboxing from Prius, Tesla etc owners. The car sells it self once someone opens their mind and drives it so I concentrate on the reasons I personally purchased it.

1 week (and 1200 miles) with a P3D on Turo got me

As a motorhead, I'm with you 100%. And when people ask me about it I never pitch the environmental side. No one wants to hear that, they've heard it from Prius drivers for years. It isn't going to convince anyone to buy one...throwing them into the back of their seat, that works.

It got me.

As soon as I sell my current DD, I'll be in an M3P+. Considering I'll be moving from a G Wagen, I consider this the swap of a century... ha.

Girlfriend thinks the electric car is cool, but she needs something bigger than the X, when the Tahoe Sized model XL comes out, she'll be on board.

Great post. I bought mine (P3D) because economically and logistically it made sense:
  • 100 mile round trip commute everyday
  • HOV Access, LA traffic.
  • Auto Pilot for traffic - specially since i don't have to mess around with a clutch anymore in stop n go traffic
  • Quick, decently fun.
  • Free Charging at work. This is what ties everything together. The gas savings basically makes the payment for the Model 3 the same as an econobox + gas.
That it, I don't give a *sugar* about the "Tesla lifestyle" nor care about riding Elon's nuts. Its an entry level luxury car that is great for commuting.

Last 3 years I'm driving back and forth to Arizona, so I got tired of renting corollas to save on fuel, but didn't want to settle for a Prius... it just wouldn't fit me. (my other car now is my paid off 06 Silverado that only sees about 6,000 miles per year, mostly in the wet and frosty)

Until the cybertruck and Rivian come out, there'll still be people like me who want to take their vehicles off road and enjoy the mountains and forests. There isn't an EV for that... YET.

Reactions: tvad
Totally agree with the OP, except I'll add that charging at home could be the top reason that I got mine. I had no idea how fun the car was.
I could name 99 reasons why I like this car before I get to the environmental aspect. Tesla owners tend to want everyone to own one. I spread the word about my car and give test drives with better knowledge than any of the Tesla Millenial salesman do. That being said, after 3 months with this car and talking to at least 100 people, I can tell you with certainty that most people don't know how powerful and fun the car is. I know Tesla is doing fine without a marketing department, but we have a reputation for being tree huggers who drive a car like a grandmother. FAR FROM IT!
If Tesla is going to take the next step, the people who don't care about the environmental aspect as much like many of us in here have to be lured into buying one. There's huge untapped demand for people who really don't understand what the car can do, and they stay away for philosophical reasons.
We need to dare people to test drive and not buy one! I wake up with a smile every day knowing that my car is warm in my garage with an 80% charge. It will never get old.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I specifically bought a VW Passat Diesel because it was supposed to be better for the environment (thanks VW...)

1 week (and 1200 miles) with a P3D on Turo got me

It got me.

Girlfriend thinks the electric car is cool, but she needs something bigger than the X, when the Tahoe Sized model XL comes out, she'll be on board.

Last 3 years I'm driving back and forth to Arizona, so I got tired of renting corollas to save on fuel, but didn't want to settle for a Prius... it just wouldn't fit me. (my other car now is my paid off 06 Silverado that only sees about 6,000 miles per year, mostly in the wet and frosty)

Until the cybertruck and Rivian come out, there'll still be people like me who want to take their vehicles off road and enjoy the mountains and forests. There isn't an EV for that... YET.
Why does your girlfriend need a semi-truck as a daily vehicle?

Why can't you people stop preaching and figure out that hurts the "cause" of buying a Tesla? Why not try to outsmart people like me? Create a list of reasons a mile long for owning a Tesla but leave out the environmental aspect. When I test drive and buy the car you can laugh at me and say "gotcha!" We both win. Instead, the excessive doomsday predictions HARM the cause. Can you imagine how many more EVs would be on the road if people would tone it down?
But remember, every year since I graduated in 1996 the world only has 12 years left! Boy do those goalposts keep moving quite well lol.

Why can't you people stop preaching and figure out that hurts the "cause" of buying a Tesla? Why not try to outsmart people like me? Create a list of reasons a mile long for owning a Tesla but leave out the environmental aspect. When I test drive and buy the car you can laugh at me and say "gotcha!" We both win. Instead, the excessive doomsday predictions HARM the cause. Can you imagine how many more EVs would be on the road if people would tone it down?
But remember, every year since I graduated in 1996 the world only has 12 years left! Boy do those goalposts keep moving quite well lol.

As an IT manager and a parent....if I want an expected outcome, I don't care how we get to it.

If the kid cleans his room because he's getting TV time later...cool. Room still got cleaned.

If my team streamlines the automation on monthly reporting so that I don't have to authorize OT and they got to go home on time....cool. Reports still got done.

If Tesla makes an EV that outperforms every ICE in its segment, and that's why people buy it........cool. GHG still get reduced with each one purchased.

4. I really don't like firing up an ICE car to make short trips - it feels wasteful & "unhealthy" for the car. Battery doesn't charge well, cats don't heat up, nor does the engine, etc. Silly concern but there's no such thing in the Tesla - it's ideal for daily driving.

I thought I was the only weirdo who felt this way. Nice to see I'm not the only one.

Reactions: Dolemite

As a European, Wait what??? Bigger!!! No way :):) my wife considers the 3 about the max size (then again our TV is 40 inch, an upgrade that I really had to work for over our 32 inch TV screen, this also tells you something about the size of houses here in the Netherlands). I have driven an X and I know steamships that feel considerably smaller :)

• Funny
Reactions: elf9
I'm somewhat surprised by how few times not having to visit a gas station was mentioned. It's not even a reason I bought the 3 but wow it's become so nice to just have the car always ready to go with plenty of range. Obviously this is dependent on home charging but with home charging and a good EV that's when it feels like a transportation revolution.

I also loathed starting an ICE vehicle for short trips. Once you know how short trips are bad for an ICE it's hard to get out your head.

One reason I did buy the car was for environmental reasons but the car had to be good too and that's where Tesla is shining. Model 3 is smaller than ideal for me with a family of 4 and lots of outdoor hobbies but adding a tow hitch to haul bikes with has solved that pretty well. We do still use my wifes '17 Highlander for any trips though. I have reserved a tri motor Cybertruck and if the promise on that is fulfilled I could see us being EV only.

Forbes just had a pretty good article about how and why climate alarmism is counter productive and hurts everyone: Why Climate Alarmism Hurts Us All

Reactions: toolman335
That's a solid article. Both sides are so full of biased mis-information. I get shredded by people for being a tree-hugging Tesla owner, while others in here rip me for not having environmental concerns matter a lick when I bought it. There's no winning, but the middle ground is the most logical, thought-based place to reside.

The article says teens are being told they'll be dead by 2030. In 1996 I was told we'd be dead by 2006. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Why does your girlfriend need a semi-truck as a daily vehicle?

If you find out what makes women tick, let me know... I've got a great business plan...

(and to clarify, she doesn't want or need a 'semi-truck'; she just wants to have an SUV (or crossover) that seats 6 passenger , with legitimate all wheel drive/4 wheel drive, (for inclement weather or rough roads) and 400 mile range, she doesn't care how one physically makes all those things happen...)

Both sides are so full of biased mis-information

Turns out that science has it's own "bias" towards factual review that leads to predicted outcomes ...
Turn off the channel if you don't like what's on, but closing your eyes doesn't change the science of what's actually happening.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/clim...te-change-skepticism-says-historian-1.5298510

In 1965, the President's Science Advisory Committee presented a report to U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson, predicting that by the year 2000 there will be 25 per cent more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, causing marked changes in global climate.

"The climatic changes that may be produced by the increased CO2 content could be deleterious from the point of view of human beings," the committee wrote.

As Elon says "why experiment in the only habitat we have" <paraphrase> when it's possible to choose a practical and scientifically logical path that has a smaller effect on global climate that is a more hopeful future than that with fossil fuel domination.

Reactions: JRP3
Status
Not open for further replies.