Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a S85 and all four front lower control arms need replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, because you don't realize it and became accustomed to the gradual change in handling. First clue is you drove a Prius for 300k....I would hate life if I was stuck driving a prius for that many miles.

Nope. My in laws have the exact same Prius Touring model. We ordered them on the same day and took delivery on the same day. Only difference was color. They have 60k miles. I drive it about dozen times a year and am always amazed at how identical they still are. I've driven over thirty track days at Northern California tracks in many different cars. I know a car that has worn suspension when I drive it.

You really don't have any idea what you're talking about.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
There was a control arm design issue with both the front and rear suspension on 2012-2014 Model S. (Not sure about 2015-2016.) This caused them to fail earlier under high-pothole conditions than they should have. Some of us who lived in extremely-high-pothole regions got them replaced under warranty or extended warranty, others had them last until after the warranty period.

Here's the important thing to know: There is a *NEW DESIGN*. It is a lot beefier. Rather than just repairing it yourself, there is definite value to getting it replaced with the upgraded design, which will probably never break.

Model 3 design learned from this experience and will probably not have the same problem. It's worth understanding that Model S was in many ways a test car; the lessons learned from the Model S were incorporated into Model Y and Model 3.
Does anyone know when the Model S started being built with this *NEW DESIGN*?

If I haven't made that clear, I'm sorry @sorka. In my opinion, and I would guess quite a few others as well, you really can't compare those two vehicles you are mentioning. (Tesla Model S vs. Prius.)

If you have owned a mid or high range relatively modern European (and I would guess recent US) car you would know that it's not uncommon at all that suspension parts like bushings and stabilizer rods are worn out after 100.000 km, if not sooner. Actually the opposite would be very uncommon.

This is probably the best video series on the Model S suspension that has been made, even though it's old, I recommend watching it even if you disagree with me.

I have never owned a European car for good reason. All the cars I've ever owned have been mostly Japanese with a few American models. None of them have ever had premature suspension component wear or failure. Not even my P85D with 100K miles on it, but from the reading I've done in this forum, I do see a lot of suspension issue reports.

In the priuschat forum, it's rare to see suspension issues mentioned even with 2nd gen Prii hitting 600K+ miles.

Reactions: vickh and cwerdna
I have done a lot a suspension work on the side for coworkers. I have seen accords with 250k miles need new struts and springs yet the bushings and joints looked fine. I have also seen the opposite with different models of the same brand were they need everything replaced at 120k miles. Other brands seem to be much sooner.

Just another data point. My 2014 Model S has 224k miles on it. Front sway bar links were worn out recently. The boot was ripped and dirt got in which made it wear out. The bushings thrmselfs are good, the boot ripping is what causes the failing.

I had an alignment done last week at Tesla. They didn't do a good job, but that's beside the point. They told me the front control arms will need replacing soon. I got some from a salvaged car and will replace them when I find time.

I don't know if bad roads cause suspension parts to wear out faster. Los Angeles roads are definitely worse than other areas.

Rear strut also started leaking and I replaced it today. Quite a bit of suspension work all in all.

I have done a lot a suspension work on the side for coworkers. I have seen accords with 250k miles need new struts and springs yet the bushings and joints looked fine. I have also seen the opposite with different models of the same brand were they need everything replaced at 120k miles. Other brands seem to be much sooner.
Had my lower control arms on my 2008 GX470 at 140,000 miles, replaced yesterday, so Toyota not any better. And I’m sure they should have been replaced much earlier.

Bought a used 2014 S85 and all four front lower control arms need replacement.

i have a new 3 but with this 5 yrs old S, I am really disappointed and concerned about the quality and longevity of my 3 now.

View attachment 432254
View attachment 432252

It is out of warranty. I am going to DIY on my driveway. This will be fun.
After how many miles did they need to be replaced?

Prius is one of the worst handling cars on the road. Horrible torque steer. People do not drive them fast around corners or do 0-60 starts like typical Tesla owners.

Prius is terribly under powered and owners typically drive them to optimize fuel economy, not performance.

The do tend to run forever. They really made the market and set the stage for a profitable hybrid car.

Reactions: petersv
So there is a lot of experience from what it seems with Lower Control Arms.

I have a Service appt on Friday and I suspect that the Lower Arms on my 2013 S 85 are bad. I hear a knocking sound every time the Driver's front wheel suspension is engaged. Is that knocking sound a symptoms of the Lower Arm Bushing knocking against one another?

I also experience some Shuddering of the Front wheel when the Front brakes are engaged at high speed (60 MPH +) I thought that the front brakes where to blame but with how little we engage the front brakes I find it hard to believe that they would be warped. Would a bad Lower Control Arm cause this Shuddering when engaging the brakes at high speed?

I want to make my case to Tesla to get these replaced under warranty while I still have it. CPO Warranty ends NOV 2019.