TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bought a used 2012 model S, what problems should I look for

Discussion in 'Model S' started by John5396, Jul 13, 2016.

1. John5396

John5396 Member

I bought a used 2012 model 3 Signature Performance, serial number 17XX. I have had it for 3 weeks, and have already been into service to fix TPMS and GPS antenna. I will be going in later this week for keys not working to start the car (can only start the car with App remote start).

What other problems should I be looking for from the early model?are there issues that I should make certain the SC should take care of before my warranty expires in a few months.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I haven't had any trouble with my 2012 for a very long time. Some of the early things that they fixed for free back in 2013 - you might make sure these have all been done on your car:

1. upgraded the HVAC shroud to make it quieter
    2. replaced the poorly galvanized screws holding on the triangular Tesla side lights on the front fenders (they would rust and leave little marks inside the light)
    3. changed the grill by the windshield to improve DEFROST performance
    4. replaced the 1.0 door handles with a newer design
    5. re-installed the pano roof with a new method that reduces the chance of wind noise and leaks
    6. installed the titanium bit under the car to protect the battery from debris
    7. upgraded the contactors inside the battery with a newer design. This wasn't limited to 2012's and didn't seem to affect all of them, so just ask if your car needs it or not

That's all I can think of.

3. Boourns

Boourns Member

I had a similar question and got some good answers in this thread: Considering a Model S. What should I look for?

Short answers: door handles, possible battery pack issues (though this shouldn't matter as much since the warranty for drive unit is much longer), and overall build issues like squeaks and rattles, misaligned panels, etc. Also, I haven't heard this as a common problem, but on my car the trunk rods were also rusted at the point they connected to the liftback. The SvC replaced them under warranty.