Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a used 2018 X with 19,500 miles and I can see defects... does warranty still apply?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Tesla owners! The last time I bought a car was 2005 and I am sure warranties have changes. I do know the basic warranty is 4 years 50K. Can I still bring it I’m for defects on the car?

-Like it is not smooth lines in certain places and there is some shotty work near the roof where it means the trunk
-In less thank 24 hours (at most less than an hour in the car) the MCU 2 (is that what’s it’s called? Still learning the lingo) has restarted 3 times
-The power trunk took a few times to open when there was no obstruction in the way.
- I cannot recline the middle seats the left and center BUT the single right will decline (I have a 7 seater)

Help? Thoughts? I know technology has its issues! Regardless, I am super stoked still about the car for sure and happy to be green!
Thanks in advance for any guidance/support!

Attachments

• 68F78AF8-E962-47FD-956E-F945AE521DCD.jpeg
    68F78AF8-E962-47FD-956E-F945AE521DCD.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 298CBFC3-5FBC-4D1C-8C7C-CFA2AE307E37.jpeg
    298CBFC3-5FBC-4D1C-8C7C-CFA2AE307E37.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cuttin
Hello fellow Tesla owners! The last time I bought a car was 2005 and I am sure warranties have changes. I do know the basic warranty is 4 years 50K. Can I still bring it I’m for defects on the car?
I’m sure the warranty applies, but I don’t know about just purely cosmetic issues which maybe 30 days or so.
-Like it is not smooth lines in certain places and there is some shotty work near the roof where it means the trunk
my advice to you would be if there is nothing structurally wrong and it is structurally sound do not bring it in just for minor cosmetic work. Honestly I’ve had some experience and well they might fix one part of it another part of it now might be worse so I would just live with it as I have for the last four years.

It’s hard to tell from the picture exactly where it is I would recommend taking a big picture and then circling where the issue is and then zooming in.

If it doesn’t evolve the Falconwing doors, then it may be something that needs to be looked at as if they’re not closing even leave that may be a structural problem.
-In less thank 24 hours (at most less than an hour in the car) the MCU 2 (is that what’s it’s called? Still learning the lingo) has restarted 3 times
maybe this is part of the recall. Make sure your software is updated etc. and keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, but if it keeps on happening but definitely bring it in.Look up how to reset the MCU, and make sure that you’re not doing it in advertently.
-The power trunk took a few times to open when there was no obstruction in the way.
Is this by pressing on the key fob, because if it is that happens to me sometimes also.
- I cannot recline the middle seats the left and center BUT the single right will decline (I have a 7 seater)
I have a five seater so I don’t know.
Help? Thoughts? I know technology has its issues! Regardless, I am super stoked still about the car for sure and happy to be green!
Thanks in advance for any guidance/support!
Answered in line above.

Upvote 0
...Can I still bring it I’m for defects on the car?...
You didn't say where did you buy your used Tesla. If you got it from Tesla, you could point out the cosmetic defects and in the old days (very old days), they would correct them but not lately (like years). Nowadays, at the used car delivery, if you point those out, they would refuse to fix them and would say something like it's a used car what do you expect!

For new cars, you got 100 miles to make a claim or you'll have to pay if you miss the deadline.

You can book an appointment and they'll send you an estimate.

I doubt they would cover anything for free with the issues you mentioned.

It's true that the MCU (Media Computer Unit--the central screen) is being recalled but they may refuse to do that until it's completely dead. That means you'll still have to pay because it's been able to restart.

Upvote 0