Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a used key fob, passive entry doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, caveat emptor and all that, but I bought a Model Y key fob from another Tesla owner, and when I pair it it shows up as a key and not a 'key fob'. Buttons work, I can tap the NFC points to unlock and start the car, but passive entry does not. The FCC ID and all the labels appear identical to my working fob, and it does indeed say 'TESLA' and not "MODEL 3' on the bottom. Ideas? Since I do have one working fob, I don't think it's the car. Bad fob, or is there a reset that needs to happen to enable the BLE? I changed the battery, tried unpairing and re-pairing with the same outcome. Thanks!

It's possible that the cover for the bottom has the correct label but the fob itself is the older generation. Maybe someone (like a seller) purposely did that.
The FCCID inside the battery cover shows the correct ID for the BLE fob, so it's a very sophisticated hack. Dude just seems like a random dude on the Model Y forum in my home town.

you got hit homie. They only 175 tho. Less than Most ICE smart fobs
Yeah, I have one that works too. I'm mostly curious, bought the extra because it was a good deal and guy is still talking to me. I have a mobile service appointment for something else and they'll look at the fob. Will report back. Curious only because I haven't seen any reports of knockoff Tesla keys.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Yeah, I have one that works too. I'm mostly curious, bought the extra because it was a good deal and guy is still talking to me. I have a mobile service appointment for something else and they'll look at the fob. Will report back. Curious only because I haven't seen any reports of knockoff Tesla keys.
Any resolution to this? You get this fixed?