Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a used Tesla MS with damaged wheels, please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear fellow Tesla ethusiasts,

Ater lurking in the shadows for a couple of days, I decided to register an account to ask my first question as a new Tesla MS owner.

Long story short, after saving up I was finally able to buy a used Tesla Model S P90D (late 2015) a couple of days ago - even got it $2000 below asking price 😁
So far I really love the car, but as stated in the thread title, I could really use your help with the following:

This car came with 21" turbine wheels (245 square), which are in really bad shape (hence the $2K discount).. However, I found a guy selling the following rims online, which I really like😍, and for a very good price...
So far I tried to do some due diligence and went through many threads on this foru. Based on my learnings, I think they will fit (without the tires at least), but before I buy them, I want to make sure if its a good option for my car.

If I understand correctly, the square wheel set up is something that Tesla tried for a while, but decided to go back to a staggered set up. However, if it is not a huge disadvantage, I would prefer the ability to rotate tires with a square set up.

Vossen HF2
The wheels come from a Range Rover Sport.
Condition is used but they are well maintained, without any damage and or repairs.

21"
9j
ET 30
center bore 72.6

Currently they are on tires + 4 TPMS (I think the tires wont fit and the TPMS probably wont work, but I can try to sell them)
Michelin Latitude
275/45R21 110Y

So my questions:

1. Am I right, that these rims (with different tires) will probably fit?
2. I fancy a bit of a stretched tire (looks), instead of a straight side wall. Which summer tires (especially size) would you recommend me? (I have no experience here, but I read that some tires are actually wider etc.)

Many thanks in advanced!

What width are the Vossens? IIRC the RR Sport has a 5x120 bolt pattern, so they will technically fit...You'll also need hubcentric adapters as you mentioned. With an offset of +30, you shouldn't need spacers unless you want a flush look.

Obviously, the RR tires won't work. The ideal setup is 21x9 with 245/35/21 in the front, and 21x10.5 with 285/30/21 in the back. If these are squared 9", then you could achieve a stretched look with a 235/35/21 tire all around. That's the narrowest I'd dare go.

My recommendation would be to fit them to the car, and then take some measurements for spacers. I have Vossen HFT-4's, and they definitely look best flush with the fender.....if you have 9 inches set way in the rear wheel well like the factory square setup, your car will look like it skipped leg day.

Attachments

• 144227139_418798392664404_8285453668553814388_n.jpg
    144227139_418798392664404_8285453668553814388_n.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
What width are the Vossens? IIRC the RR Sport has a 5x120 bolt pattern, so they will technically fit...You'll also need hubcentric adapters as you mentioned. With an offset of +30, you shouldn't need spacers unless you want a flush look.

Obviously, the RR tires won't work. The ideal setup is 21x9 with 245/35/21 in the front, and 21x10.5 with 285/30/21 in the back. If these are squared 9", then you could achieve a stretched look with a 235/35/21 tire all around. That's the narrowest I'd dare go.

My recommendation would be to fit them to the car, and then take some measurements for spacers. I have Vossen HFT-4's, and they definitely look best flush with the fender.....if you have 9 inches set way in the rear wheel well like the factory square setup, your car will look like it skipped leg day.

First of all, thanks for providing your insights!

These Vossen HF2 are (square) 30 ET x 9j, while factory is 40 ET x 8.5j

So if I understood correctly, the 10 ET offset difference will push the Vossens 10mm outwards already (like a spacer) + 0.5j difference will push them outward 0.5 inch more than factory.

Do you think I need to worry about load ratings?

BTW Your car looks stunning!😍

First of all, thanks for providing your insights!

These Vossen HF2 are (square) 30 ET x 9j, while factory is 40 ET x 8.5j

So if I understood correctly, the 10 ET offset difference will push the Vossens 10mm outwards already (like a spacer) + 0.5j difference will push them outward 0.5 inch more than factory.

Do you think I need to worry about load ratings?

BTW Your car looks stunning!😍
You're correct.

Factory load rating is 96Y, I'd keep it as close to that as possible. Actually looking it up, there are VERY few 235/35/21 tires, and the load rating is 89, which is like 300 lbs less per corner. That's pretty significantly lower. If it was me, I'd do at least 245 all around.

You're correct.

Factory load rating is 96Y, I'd keep it as close to that as possible. Actually looking it up, there are VERY few 235/35/21 tires, and the load rating is 89, which is like 300 lbs less per corner. That's pretty significantly lower. If it was me, I'd do at least 245 all around.
I‘m gonna pass on the RR wheels and follow your specs of a staggered set up:

21x9 in the front & 21x10.5 in the back.

Thanks a lot!