Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought a Volt... Future Proof Charger for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't waste my money on a L2 charger. The battery on that Volt is not that big and the L1 should be fine with overnight charging. Also you got gas as backup.

This is absolutely correct I commute with a 2013 Volt about half the week and I wake up every morning with a completely full battery after about 8-9 hours at 110v. The volt battery is very small compared to my P85D.

Wha?? In Los Angeles, the average cost per kWh of electricity in Feb 2018 was 18.1 cents. The average cost per gallon of gas was $3.40. If you have a gasoline engine that is getting 50mpg (only on a super efficient car with no acceleration), then it will cost you $6.80 to go 100 miles. 100 miles in a model 3 would be roughly 1/3 of the battery capacity. The battery is around 75 kWh, so that means you need 25 kWh to go those 100 miles. That would cost $4.53. That's 33% cheaper.

What is your math that tells you that gasoline is cheaper than electricity (and even then, cheaper "by a long shot")?

BTW, here is where I got my numbers for LA: Average Energy Prices, Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim – February 2018 : Western Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Yea power in LA is cheaper than san diego for sure.

So there has been a bunch of times now where I wish I had a level 2 charger for the volt. It just takes forever to charge.. If I get home from work and then need to go back out in an hour I will be burning gas for sure.

Still considering getting a cheap L2 EVSE, but not sure it would be re-usable for the model 3 later on. Like use the charger it comes with at home, and have the cheap one in the back of the car in case I head to parents house or where there is an outlet or something? I guess the issue is that adapters are so dang expensive, often more than just buying another EVSE?

I decided not to mess with my charger, if I mess it up id be really screwed.

Best solution would be for tesla to hurry up and let me configure the car hah.