Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought an “oem” spoiler on eBay...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is how it arrived.

lol.

Not only is the protector film green (it’s supposed to be red, no?) but it’s missing at the ends and carelessly placed on the rest of the spoiler. Should I just send this back and get a refund? It’s ridiculous. In the sellers post it had red protector film covering the entirety of the adhesive area.

That’s what I get for messing with eBay scammers. Always looking to scam folks. It’s pathetic.

too bad because I think it looks great when placed against the car... meh

100 ratings and 100% feedback. He tried to tell me the color of the tape didn’t matter. From what I’ve seen it’s always been red.

Even if it didn’t matter, that’s what he showed in his photos, you know? I’m trying not to overreact like this, but it’s obviously been used and he’s trying to pass it off as new.

Reactions: Jedi2155
It does look like it may have been installed and later removed. Mobile Service has test fitted 13 OEM rear spoilers for me and all of them had the tape all the way to the inner tips of the spoiler. Also, you are correct that the protective film is red.

If the spoiler is real, and it fits, then go get some 3M automotive tape and do it yourself. I bought mine thru an eBay auction and installed it myself, and it's near-perfect. No lifting. Just make sure you pre-heat the tape, and stick it hard.

Okay, so I think this must have been a spoiler taken off, so the red plastic has already been removed. The green is what the seller put on in its stead. Is it still tacky? Can you use the 3M adhesive enhancer to revive the stick? Those I don't know.

If the adhesive cannot be used, then you need to remove it. That'll be a pain. And then, you'll need to apply some new 3M adhesive.

I'd contact the seller and ask for a 20% discount for all the additional work, since that's not the way it appeared in the sale. If you aren't up to doing it, then ask for a refund and ship it back. Shame, I hope it wasn't too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi2155
Was it listed as new or used?

If I was selling that I would list as used since it looks to have been installed and then removed from the car.

If they listed it as new I would say something to them about it for sure. Especially if the pictures showed the red protective over the adhesive.

Can you post a link to the auction?

Was it listed as new or used?

If I was selling that I would list as used since it looks to have been installed and then removed from the car.

If they listed it as new I would say something to them about it for sure. Especially if the pictures showed the red protective over the adhesive.

Can you post a link to the auction?

it was listed as new and had pictures with red tape. I bough the tape as suggested, but upon further inspection I’ve found small scratches and other defects.

I even paid the guy an extra 20 bucks for priority shipping. I’m not gonna post his auction, because perhaps this is just a one off with him. He has good feedback after all. I’ll just get the refund.

maybe this is telling me that I should just stay spoiler free on my P3D-

it was listed as new and had pictures with red tape. I bough the tape as suggested, but upon further inspection I’ve found small scratches and other defects.

I even paid the guy an extra 20 bucks for priority shipping. I’m not gonna post his auction, because perhaps this is just a one off with him. He has good feedback after all. I’ll just get the refund.

maybe this is telling me that I should just stay spoiler free on my P3D-

One off or not he knew he was shipping an item that was not the same as the listing. Unless he has multiple for sale and shipped the wrong one which could be an honest mistake.

I have listed quite a few things on eBay. You know what your selling and how its represented when you make the listing.

Be careful buying anything with "3M" tape from China. I've seen a number of products say they use red 3M tape and it comes labeled "MMM" which is a knockoff even though they're not technically lying. I also assume they might be less reliable than actual 3M tape.

Reactions: Big Earl