Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought AP1 and got AP2? Contact the AG.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you that bought an AP1 car but got an AP2 car, and are annoyed at Tesla's lack of progress on auto wipers and EAP in general, please consider filing a complaint with your attorney general. Tesla advertised the wipers as a feature of the car, put them in the manual, and gave test drives of vehicles with wipers. Then, when they removed this feature, they didn't tell owners until after the cars were delivered. This is likely a violation of the uniform commercial code, and it's now been over a year since many owners have had a car in this state with no resolution or offer of compensation.

If you also upgraded from AP to EAP, a comment about that may also be appropriate, as Tesla upcharged for this with an expectation of December 2016 release but a year later there is still no functionality for this up-charge, nor any offer of a any refund or compensation.

I get that not all owners are as annoyed about this as others, but I do think it's fair to be frusturated enough after a year of zero progress to try and put some pressure on Tesla. By getting complaints from a group of owners, maybe an AG will be willing to help out. They really shouldn't be behaving this way.

Everyone can file in CA since that's where Tesla is based. You can file with the Santa Clara county AG (where Tesla is based) HERE. You can contact the CA state AG HERE

For your state, google the AG for your state or county.

Tesla's address is:
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(877) 798-3752

For those of you that bought an AP1 car but got an AP2 car, and are annoyed at Tesla's lack of progress on auto wipers and EAP in general, please consider filing a complaint with your attorney general. Tesla advertised the wipers as a feature of the car, put them in the manual, and gave test drives of vehicles with wipers. Then, when they removed this feature, they didn't tell owners until after the cars were delivered. This is likely a violation of the uniform commercial code, and it's now been over a year since many owners have had a car in this state with no resolution or offer of compensation.

If you also upgraded from AP to EAP, a comment about that may also be appropriate, as Tesla upcharged for this with an expectation of December 2016 release but a year later there is still no functionality for this up-charge, nor any offer of a any refund or compensation.

I get that not all owners are as annoyed about this as others, but I do think it's fair to be frustrated enough after a year of zero progress to try and put some pressure on Tesla. By getting complaints from a group of owners, maybe an AG will be willing to help out. They really shouldn't be behaving this way.

Everyone can file in CA since that's where Tesla is based. You can file with the Santa Clara county AG (where Tesla is based) HERE. You can contact the CA state AG HERE

Tesla's address is:
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(877) 798-3752

I get that not all owners are as annoyed about this as others, but I do think it's fair to be frustrated enough after a year of zero progress to try and put some pressure on Tesla. By getting complaints from a group of owners, maybe an AG will be willing to help out. They really shouldn't be behaving this way.

Tesla's address is:
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(877) 798-3752

I guess I'll be the one to point it out.

You can't upgrade from AP to EAP.

Your car is either legacy, AP1, or AP2(aka EAP).

There is no upgrade from 1 to 2.

to meme this: Bro, do you even Tesla?

You can't upgrade from AP to EAP.

For people that bought when AP1 existed, but were shipped an AP2 car, AP vs EAP absolutely exists.

Tesla sent an email- do you want to upgrade from AP1 features on HW2, or do you want EAP features when they ship? If you don't pay the extra $2,500 to upgrade, you'll be limited to AP1 features, and if you upgrade after you get your car, it's a $1K surcharge. The email even defines the AP vs EAP differences. NONE of the EAP features has yet shipped. and people that stayed with $2,500 AP features have all the things people that upgraded to $5,000 EAP do.

So, um, bro, about that Tesla...??? I guess your signature answers that ;)

October 22, 216 email:
Hello,

We recently announced that all Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including your car, have the new hardware needed for Enhanced Autopilot and ultimately Full Self-Driving capability, at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver. With this new hardware come two options not previously available: Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. These options are available for upgrade now and take the Tesla driving experience to a new level. Now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your configuration so you can enjoy Enhanced Autopilot features such as automatic lane change, on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, advanced Autosteer and Summon as they roll out.

Simply click the upgrade button below to review and make these enhancements to your current configuration prior to taking delivery, and take advantage of our pre-delivery pricing.

If you choose not to upgrade, your car will delivered with the options you configured, without Enhanced Autopilot features. Post-delivery upgrades will be subject to a $1,000 surcharge.

Thank you for your support and we’re excited for your upcoming delivery."

This email would have been a great place to inform future owners that their car wouldn't have auto wipers when delivered....

I do wonder about the people disagreeing about complaining to a consumer protection agency when you buy a $100K car and it doesn't do what the owner's manual says, the website says, the manufacturer didn't tell you ahead of time, and after a year they still can't fix it. What do you propose an owner does? Oh, right, sell the car for a $30K loss, we're changing the world here and normal rules of commerce shouldn't apply!

Last edited:
What did Tesla say when you talked to them?

Tesla's address is:
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(877) 798-3752

Reactions: bonnie
What did Tesla say when you talked to them?

As @croman says, this is on Tesla. But I did ask about a month ago, and they said:

We do not agree that this is a warranty concern. I understand that you may feel differently, and sincerely apologize that we are unable to meet your expectations.

I am not able to provide information about the release of future firmware/software. Information about major releases can be found at tesla.com/software.

A month before that, they said:

I thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and detail you concern. At this time I do not have further details as to when the “Rain Sensing” feature will be available. As we develop our software we want to ensure that optimization is foremost, as it is ideal to certify a feature is working 100% as intended before deployment. We hope that you are still able to enjoy all your Model X currently has to offer and appreciate your continued support and patience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate reaching back out.

Of note is that they in no way disagree that they advertised the feature to me and it doesn't exist and they have no idea when it will.

For people that bought when AP1 existed, but were shipped an AP2 car, AP vs EAP absolutely exists.

Tesla sent an email- do you want to upgrade from AP1 features on HW2, or do you want EAP features when they ship? If you don't pay the extra $2,500 to upgrade, you'll be limited to AP1 features, and if you upgrade after you get your car, it's a $1K surcharge. The email even defines the AP vs EAP differences. NONE of the EAP features has yet shipped. and people that stayed with $2,500 AP features have all the things people that upgraded to $5,000 EAP do.

So, um, bro, about that Tesla...??? I guess your signature answers that ;)

!

I'll admit, maybe Tesla did send that email....but how many people were in the production pipeline at the time that this would even apply to? A few hundred? Maybe 1,000?

But to your other point:

I'll have it Wednesday, and I won't post comment after comment complaining about it once I get it.

LOL, you seem like a pretty miserable person, you got called out on the semantics of your post, then decided to be smug that you have a Tesla and I don't (literally for about 36 more hours), but all you do is complain about the one you do have.

I'm sure you're just a PEACH to be around.

Enjoy your Tesla....or don't. Whatever. My rain-sensing wipers will work.

;)

I'll admit, maybe Tesla did send that email....but how many people were in the production pipeline at the time that this would even apply to? A few hundred? Maybe 1,000?

Somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000. Seriously, Tesla was a full quarter behind in 2016. Cars ordered in September were December deliveries. There were people with Model X orders from January of 2016 that still didn't have their cars when this email came out. Every time this comes up people that were nowhere around when this happened are like "yeah, but there's like 4 of you, who cares!?". There are a LOT of us. Even if there weren't, why is it OK that Tesla did this to even one owner?

you got called out on the semantics of your post, then decided to be smug that you have a Tesla and I don't (literally for about 36 more hours), but all you do is complain about the one you do have.

You're the one that asked me if I even Tesla and when you're wrong you can't handle a little heat back when you literally don't own one?

Last edited:
Somewhere between 20,000 and 40,000. Seriously, Tesla was a full quarter behind in 2016. Cars ordered in September were December deliveries. There were people with Model X orders from January of 2016 that still didn't have their cars when this email came out. Every time this comes up people that were nowhere around when this happened are like "yeah, but there's like 4 of you, who cares!?". There are a LOT of us. Even if there weren't, why is it OK that Tesla did this to even one owner?

You're the one that asked me if I even Tesla and when you're wrong you can't handle a little heat back when you literally don't own one?

I can handle the heat. Just pointing out that your false sense of superiority literally has an expiration date of Wednesday. But hey, you have an AP2 Tesla and millions of Americans have no Tesla.

I bet they feel bad for you.

As an AP1 owner to an AP2 owner I think you might just want to count your blessings.

Sure you don't have Automatic wipers, but they don't really work all that well with HW1. You're not missing a whole lot.

Sure you don't have EAP, but you will at some point in 2018.

Sure the blindspot monitoring sucks, but at least it won't suck in 2018. On my AP1 it's always going to suck.

We're also at a point where AP2 is better than AP1 in various ways. If you average the opinions of people that have experience with both. Keeping in mind that old things typically take a special place in a persons heart. So we often inflate our experiences with them. Like old video games for example.

Really? zero progress?
To most owners there has been no progress on the enhanced part of AP, or on automatic wipers.

To those of us paying attention to the HW 2.5 capabilities thread we're aware that that there is a neural network for automatic wipers, and there is the beginnings of stuff for EAP.

None of it has made it into actual capabilities yet though. So the OP is correct about those things specifically. I don't believe in the lawsuit about this topic though.

I get that not all owners are as annoyed about this as others, but I do think it's fair to be frusturated enough after a year of zero progress to try and put some pressure on Tesla. By getting complaints from a group of owners, maybe an AG will be willing to help out. They really shouldn't be behaving this way.

Can you help me understand how entangling Tesla Corporate in a lawsuit or getting spanked by an AG will cause the software engineering team to write code faster? Or do you think that adding more engineers will somehow result in speeding this up? (It won't.) And do you really believe they haven't heard from customers?

I hope Tesla proves me wrong. I love my 360 degree camera and smoothy adaptive cruise control.

The lack of 360 camera is the biggest miss. If they had that along with a dashcam capabilities from all cameras then people would complain a lot less. Those would have been easy features to help buy time.

I can't comment on the smooth adaptive cruise since I have AP1, and it's adaptive cruise is awesome. It's only issue is you can't turn off the slow for corners features so it tends to handle major corners significantly slower than I would. So slow that my mother doesn't even complain about the speed I took the corner.