Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought FSD, but X is stuck on 2020 software build without it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2) There is speculation that Tesla might ship on MCU1 without visualization. There is no official communications from Tesla that this might be the plan.

Unless you consider Elon's Tweet "official Tesla communication" 🤔

He also tweeted MCU2 not needed

MCU (infotainment computer) upgrade not recommended imo. Isn’t needed for full self-driving & cost is ~$2k for limited entertainment improvements. ~ Elon Musk 4:45 PM · Dec 18, 2019

2016 December S. AP3 MCU1 FSD. Had been on 2020.48.37.6 for many months. Got 2021.24.25.1 just now. Seems to be a feature release, not just security fixes. Nothing about FSD beta though.
i'm sure that was a huge upgrade, a lot was added between those releases. Everything from games to added features. these are just a few things, not sure how that works with older cars or not.

• Mirror Auto Dim
    • Dashcam Improvements
    • Range Display
    • Remain Connected to WiFi in Drive
    • New Language Support (Hungarian, Romanian, Russian)
    • Sky Force Reloaded

You got the HW3 computer update per your post. But the the 2017 Xs were equipped with the MCU1 computer; the latest update for the MCU1 cars is the 2020.48.37.x branch (2020.48.37.6 I think is the latest?). The FSD beta request button is on 2021.32.22. Later (in 2 weeks OFC 😤) some lucky ones will be included in to be expanded FSD beta.

For the new releases (2021.y) you need the MCU2 upgrade not just HW3. Last time that I've checked that was $1500 or so. Unfortunately most of the guys that answer the chat at Tesla can be described in nicest way as clueless... Hope it helps
If you look at Teslafi, most of the MCU1 and even AP1 cars from 5 years ago have the latest 2021.41 version of firmware. It's not MCU1. It's the combination of MCU1 and HW3 upgrade.
Everyone that did the HW3 upgrade for FSD has essentially frozen their car out of updates from the time they did the upgrade.
The problem is that so few people have this configuration that Tesla won't put the resources into testing their software with this hardware combo.

Very frustrating to be stuck at 2020.48.37.8 because I have MCU1. Was really looking forward to using FSD beta! :mad:
Not because of the MCU1. Because of MCU1 combined with HW3. People with standard HW1 or HW2 and MCU1 config have been getting recent updates like everyone else.
Really wished I knew at the time that update to HW3 for (eventual) FSD would permanently freeze firmware updates. I wouldn't have done it if I knew what I know now.

Not because of the MCU1. Because of MCU1 combined with HW3. People with standard HW1 or HW2 and MCU1 config have been getting recent updates like everyone else.
Really wished I knew at the time that update to HW3 for (eventual) FSD would permanently freeze firmware updates. I wouldn't have done it if I knew what I know now.

If Tesla would act with any decency, they would at least offer to refund the purchase. Clearly they failed to deliver anything to customers with MCU1+HW3 combination. Acting like those customers who pre-paid for FSD (on their MCU1 car) do not exist at all is not acceptable.

If Tesla would act with any decency, they would at least offer to refund the purchase. Clearly they failed to deliver anything to customers with MCU1+HW3 combination. Acting like those customers who pre-paid for FSD (on their MCU1 car) do not exist at all is not acceptable.
The truly frustrating part for me is that I had a mobile tech come out to replace the 12v battery on my MCU1 Model X and when they were done they said they also upgraded the FSD computer to 3.0, without my awareness or permission. Now this means I've not been getting the software updates that I would have if I was still on the factory FSD computer.

I know eventually Tesla will have to replace the MCU1 of those who bought FSD with the MCU2 and I hate to buy it now just to get software updates.

Reactions: t3sl4drvr
Now this means I've not been getting the software updates that I would have if I was still on the factory FSD computer.
What leads you to believe that? I haven’t seen any indication that MCU1/HW3 cars are getting any different treatment than any other MCU1 car (which is to say not much, MCU1 is dead and it seems from this point forward you shouldn’t expect anything more than 1-2 releases a year with bug/security fixes).

What leads you to believe that? I haven’t seen any indication that MCU1/HW3 cars are getting any different treatment than any other MCU1 car (which is to say not much, MCU1 is dead and it seems from this point forward you shouldn’t expect anything more than 1-2 releases a year with bug/security fixes).
Please read the rest of this thread for context rather than just the last comment. This comment tracks with my own experience.

Rather than update old MCU's - the other alternative is just buy a new car with all the latest & greatest software / Hardware. Then wait a couple years until it toO, no longer gets service due to future upgrades ... then repeat. ;)

You kid but with the high resale values this isn't a bad option if not for the fact that I'm still hoping to realize the FSD that I paid for when I bought my X in 2016 and the lifetime supercharging. And the passenger lumbar control and the rational steering wheel and and and...

All that said we put in an order for a Y yesterday because we're doing a lot more long-distance driving than we used to and our X 75D both needs to stop and charge every 140 miles or so and maxes out at a charging rate of 350mph. The Y will be a superior road trip car.