Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought FSD today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current MS has AP1. I use it so sparingly that I knew I wouldn't buy FSD when I ordered my M3. I enjoy driving. I enjoy the thrill of driving my Tesla. I'll pony up for FSD once its truly a level 4 experience. AP is all I need at the moment.

FSD Is essentially a SW license to get the latest software and features and be on the verge of the greatest developments possible.

My judgement is FSD is one of the major ownership reasons and it is about to increase in price, even though I understand pricing can change depending on the demand.

Tesla is focusing all their future developments on FSD features and considering how crappy they are building the cars, I figured that without ability to get new real features (I am not talking about cuphead or emmision testing mode) this car not even worth it, there are 100x times much nicer cars out there with better build quality, handleg, etc.

So, decided I am all in :)

Really? 100x better cars? I would agree that Tesla is not (yet) up to Audi/Lexus/BMW, but I dont think any of those cars are 100x better, or even 2x better (and yes, I've owned an Audi and a BMW). If the car is that bad, why are you even keeping it?

Alright, let's try this then.

I Google'd "model 3 autopilot safety". The first 3 links are...
They're all tesla.com. That's a bad start since it's first-party information which can be manipulated, but we'd be hard-pressed to find anything else.

The first links touts safety, but mentions no numerical or comparative data.

The second links has a lot of forward-looking statements that in my opinion are downright misleading. It is not at all clear that the features mentioned are not currently available, especially when skimming the page. Also, no numerical or comparative data.

The third link finally has some meat. Let's pull 2019 Q3 data,

So you are correct in that while AP is enabled, it is true that more miles are traveled per accident on average. However, this does not account for the fact that AP is normally used in safer situations at higher speeds (meaning more miles traveled).

A town may be 10 miles in diameter and experience a lot of accidents per day, but the 30 mile highway connecting two towns with many inter-town commuters may only have one or two accidents per day. People that have vehicles for "in town" travel very few miles compared to highway commuters. Only highway commuters can really use AP right now. The very true fact is that these AP stats sound good on paper, but all they're saying is "higher speed safe areas have less accidents per mile than lower speed complex areas", which is trivially true for all vehicles.

Furthermore, one can/should not use AP in poor weather. Doing so is obviously less safe and not recommended by Tesla. This statement alone should be evidence that AP is not universally safer. It may help a small amount on clear days on highways that are relatively straight.

Additionally, we don't know if "Autopilot engaged" in this blurb means Autosteer+TACC or perhaps also just TACC. Since TACC is part of AP, they certainly could include TACC-only usage in these numbers.

What is good to see and has less of a bias is that the active safety systems help, though this again should be true for all manufacturers.

And what is even better to see is that on the third page, one of the early links shows comparisons to other vehicles for NHTSA ratings and testing. Regardless of whether or not AP is safer, if you get into an accident, the Model 3 is one of the safest vehicles you can be in.
I think those stats are most useful to look at how they change over time. Ensuring they improve over time shows ap is getting better. They will also shortly be releasing Noa city which will likely drop the stats temporarily and then we can watch them improve again. Though skewed, they are better than what the other manufacturers release.