Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought ModelX used - how do I know if eligible for HW3 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a used ModelX last year, from a dealer who'd bought it at auction. If the original owner bought FSD package, how do I know? And would I still be eligible for upgrade?

If you have access to your Tesla Account, it would tell you.

On your cell phone app, click on "Ugrade" menu. It would tell what you have and what you can pay additionally to get an upgrade.

If it says your car has FSD, then you cannot pay for an upgrade. The payment for the upgrade was done and you can use your phone app to schedule a hardware upgrade for no additional payment.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If you have access to your Tesla Account, it would tell you.

On your cell phone app, click on "Ugrade" menu. It would tell what you have and what you can pay additionally to get an upgrade.

If it says your car has FSD, then you cannot pay for an upgrade. The payment for the upgrade was done and you can use your phone app to schedule a hardware upgrade for no additional payment.
Perfect - thanks!

Reactions: Tam
We bought a used ModelX last year, from a dealer who'd bought it at auction. If the original owner bought FSD package, how do I know? And would I still be eligible for upgrade?
There was that one story in the news recently of Tesla removing FSD from a 3rd party sale. I would keep a close eye on that or at least don't remind Tesla that you are the 2nd owner.

The HW3 upgrade however is tied to your VIN. When your car is eligible for upgrade your service center will notify you. However they will only notify you if the car is already in for service - from what I have read they don't reach out specifically to do the upgrade.

I have a April 2017 production date X and I have seen older and one friend who's production date is newer get the upgrade. Apparently it is not by age of the vehicle. :(