Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought new S 75D yesterday after tesla yesterday firesale overnight -$7500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't want to speak for OP, but mine was an "inventory" car listed with 50 miles. The sales rep said that it was actually brand new, never been driven.
Most likely it's sitting in showroom, if it's the red one with all options. They are pretty beaten up with all fit traffic!!!
Actual demo or loaner with few hundred miles is better than these ones

• Disagree
Reactions: Pdub2015 and Turing
I saw a car much like my S90D in the inventory with a few more options for $7K less than I paid in June. It hurts a bit, but oh well.

What I got has been very reliable with no issues thus far and who knows what the inventory cars have been through.

Reactions: Wknapp0924
I saw a car much like my S90D in the inventory with a few more options for $7K less than I paid in June. It hurts a bit, but oh well.

What I got has been very reliable with no issues thus far and who knows what the inventory cars have been through.

Apparently the 75D inventory I ordered today was still wrapped in plastic, never driven, 50 miles on the odometer.

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk and Troy
Apparently the 75D inventory I ordered today was still wrapped in plastic, never driven, 50 miles on the odometer.

Most inventory vehicles are brand new and were not ordered by someone else and rejected at delivery. Perhaps some are previous orders that cancelled but they are just making cars because they know they can sell them and turn orders over faster for Q3.. This is a crucial quarter for the them.

Congrats on the car!

Thanks Erik

pssst...over here: Snagged a P90D Inventory car for $700/mnth on the new 24 month lease

Summary:
1) Not all inv cars are online, talk directly to an OA or you'll miss out.
2) They are working hard to move cars before the end of the month, don't miss the window. It looks like the best deals are gone, but there seem to be a decent second wave occuring right now.
3) ev-cpo.com just added a new column showing the discount amount for each car in the ev-cpo system (basically pulling whatever data is available on tesla.com, but see 1) above re. shadow inventory).

Last edited:
I hear ya. Bought 2 weeks before $1000 referral rebate and new slipstream/center console and tires back in February and paid the same as the 75D Refresh for my 70 with less options.

Oh well. I love my car still! But I do get what you are saying.

No, because the 200,000 sales limit about federal tax credits is for USA sales only. As of today, Tesla's USA sales are 91,037 units. I added a daily counter here in last column.
Fed tax credits do not expire after 200k car sales in USA. The quarter during which 200,000th car is sold, for that quarter and the next quarter, all cars will qualify for $7.5K tax credit. For 2 quarters after that, the credit reduces to $3.75K.

So, essentially Tesla can sell 200,000th car in the USA, on the first day of the quarter and produce and sell like crazy for the next 4 quarters.

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G and u00mem9
@TMSE, the other forum member commented about Tesla getting close to 200K global sales and I pointed out that global sales don't matter but USA sales do.

I'm not sure why you felt like explaining how the phaseout process works. I can think of at least two reasons but I'm going to go with carelessness and just let you know that you should have first checked the link that I posted. Scroll all the way to the right when you open the page.

@TMSE, the other forum member commented about Tesla getting close to 200K global sales and I pointed out that global sales don't matter but USA sales do.

I'm not sure why you felt like explaining how the phaseout process works. I can think of at least two reasons but I'm going to go with carelessness and just let you know that you should have first checked the link that I posted. Scroll all the way to the right when you open the page.
I didn't imply that you didn't know. My response was also for the benefit of the person you responded to, and for general awareness.
I don't think I am careless when I try to help. I am surprised you respond that way. But, I don't mind. Peace.

Reactions: Yuri_G and Eclectic
I did not know that US Tesla sales were only 91K. I was operating under the misinformation that they were closer to 180,000. If that was the case, then Tesla planning on shuffling the delivery to make the 200,000 happen on Jan1 (or any other beginning of quarter) made sense. I was looking at the obvious - get sales into Q3, but --why not also leverage into 200,000 delivery.

Can you illuminate how such misinformation would be floating? Not a trivial difference between 180,000 and 90,000. Is the simple answer "USA vs whole world"?

The reason Tesla is pushing for more deliveries until the end of September is because this is the last quarter they can show profitability before they need to raise more money for Model 3 tooling. All this is explained HERE in Elon's leaked email to Tesla employees.

Something similar will happen at the end of Q4. In THIS shareholder letter in Feb 2016, Tesla said they will deliver 80-90,000 cars in 2016. In the first half of this year, Tesla delivered 29,212 cars. That means to achieve 80K they need to deliver 50,788 cars in the second half. This is going to be difficult. Therefore a similar push is expected at the end of Q4. Rumors about Autopilot 2.0 hardware certainly don't help.

Just pulled the trigger as well, ordered a 75D, Blue with Black NextGen Seats, Autopilot, and Pano. Normally would be $88,200. After the $7,600 adjustment and waiver of doc and transport fees, it came to $78,400!
In case others are relying on this information when making their own purchases, I want to update the number for accuracy. My total came to $78,900 (not the $78,400 I stated above). The additional $500 was for transportation. The sales guy had waived the Delivery and Doc fees, but he said that if he did so he would need to charge a $500 transportation fee to bring the car from LA to Denver.

One thing that I found interesting was that my sales guy said that he could only waive the Delivery and Doc fees if I was able to accept delivery before the end of the month. This suggested to me that this was also part of the incentive to try to boost Tesla's Q3 profits. I'm also not sure that he would have waived those fees on any inventory car. He said that he was able to do so for two specific cars located in California and the southwest. Regardless of whether you get them to waive these fees, these do seem like some great deals on inventory cars with 75kwh batteries.

Anyway, I hope this information is useful for others in a similar situation. This is certainly the most I've ever paid for a vehicle, so every little bit helps!

• Informative
Reactions: Rahul