Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought new S 75D yesterday after tesla yesterday firesale overnight -$7500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a car much like my S90D in the inventory with a few more options for $7K less than I paid in June. It hurts a bit, but oh well.

What I got has been very reliable with no issues thus far and who knows what the inventory cars have been through.

It doesn't bother me that much that there are discounts from time to time that weren't available when I bought mine. What does bother me is this "call the OA and see, some discounts are YMMV, and it's only on the inventory cars" BS. If Tesla wants to move more inventory at the end of the quarter, that's perfectly fine. Jut have an advertised, limited-time discount that can be had by anyone buying around this time simply by ordering on the web site or walking into any store.

Otherwise, a big chunk of future buyers will now put off their purchases until the end of each quarter waiting for the next round of deals (well, this will happen regardless now that a precedent has been set, but it's what comes next I'm more concerned about). And as the discounts are only on the inventory cars, Tesla must have more and more "inventory cars" to cater to these folks and make the quarterly numbers. Pretty soon, it starts looking like any other car dealership where there are a bunch of cars on the lot and you go in and haggle for the best possible deal on one of them. I really hope it doesn't get there.

How would you like to be the bank that just financed the lease on a P90D and assumed it would be worth the historical 60% of MSRP?!

Somebody got burned on that deal, and I doubt they know it yet. The banks are pretty savvy, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some clause that makes this Tesla's problem...

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
I haven't been looking lately, but I doubt you will find many significant deals on 60s. They are probably already pretty low-margin. They can sell a 75 for the same price as a 60 because it's already the same car, so they lose no current margin (though they do obviously lose the opportunity to make some pure margin later if the customer upgrades - but right now it's all about THIS quarter's results).

And of course they have been able to greatly discount high-margin P90D's to clear them out when the P100D was announced. I leased an inventory P90DL two days before the P100D was announced and got a phenomenal deal. But I think those are mostly cleared out by now.

Has anyone seen deals on S60Ds? Do not see anything on ev-cpo

Hi - Last Friday, I managed to snag a 75D that was fully loaded (Pano, AP, Suspension, Napa Leather, Charger upgrade, Premium Interior, Hi-Fidelity sound) with only 132 miles. They were offering a $5700 showroom discount and were waving the document and destination fee. I was also able to use a friend's referral code for another $1,000.

I had previously designed a 60D and they offered to re-configure the battery pack from 75KWh down to 60KWh which led to a further price reduction of $8,500.

I think I got a good deal on a 24 month lease with a decent car - I missed a 75D that had a $9,700 showroom discount but it had 2500 miles.

Go to the showroom and look through the inventory - they organized it by $ discount when we viewed it with the OA.

Hope this helps.

HiredGun

As @ChadS mentions, it looks like they upgraded the 60s to be 75s since it's the same hardware. TeslaInventory.com currently shows 174 S60 and S75 cars with discounts up to $10400 off. The vast majority (167) are 75s. There's one lonely 70 and 6 refreshed 60s. There are still a few non-refreshed cars available as well but the discounts on those aren't as high as on the refreshed ones.

Good luck in your search.

I haven't been looking lately, but I doubt you will find many significant deals on 60s. They are probably already pretty low-margin. They can sell a 75 for the same price as a 60 because it's already the same car,

Please see my response to another poster....

After my test drive the OA found a fully loaded 75D with only 132 miles and a $5,700 showroom discount. The OA told me that re-configuring the battery pack from 75KWh down to 60KWh was not an issue.

I just got confirmation a few hours that they just did that to my car and the price was reduced accordingly by $8,500.

Also not looking to contradict what you said but just wanted to let anyone interested in getting a 60S that its possible to get a "higher" car and have it re-configured.

Hope this helps!

HiredGun

Please see my response to another poster....

After my test drive the OA found a fully loaded 75D with only 132 miles and a $5,700 showroom discount. The OA told me that re-configuring the battery pack from 75KWh down to 60KWh was not an issue.

I just got confirmation a few hours that they just did that to my car and the price was reduced accordingly by $8,500.

Also not looking to contradict what you said but just wanted to let anyone interested in getting a 60S that its possible to get a "higher" car and have it re-configured.

Hope this helps!

HiredGun
What did you end up paying for the 60?

What did you end up paying for the 60?

The 75D started out at $91,750 and once we "downgraded" it to a 60D, it went to $90,450 (all options except the jumpseats).

With the various discounts we got it down to $82,550. I'm doing a business lease so I opted for a 24 month lease at 15K miles, the difference in monthly lease payment is significant....$1,032 vs ~$700.

HG

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
These discounts will certainly improve Q3 revenues, but I'm not sure about improving profits.

Tesla averages about $20K a car when sold at full price, so they are still making some profit on the inventory cars. Selling off inventory cars also gets liabilities off the books by the end of the quarter.

The inventory cars are turning over fast. Two days ago I noticed 4 S90Ds and went back last night to look and compare to what I paid for mine and all 4 were gone. They do have more of the small pack cars in inventory. I suspect they have been selling more 60s and 75s than 90s lately from the comments seen on the forum. 6 months ago the 90D was about 2/3 of all Model S sales, but it's probably down to less than half now with a lot more smaller pack cars sold. With the supercharger network filling out, there is probably less range anxiety and more people are opting for higher optioned small pack cars or getting a base model just to get a Tesla.

The 75D started out at $91,750 and once we "downgraded" it to a 60D, it went to $90,450 (all options except the jumpseats).

With the various discounts we got it down to $82,550. I'm doing a business lease so I opted for a 24 month lease at 15K miles, the difference in monthly lease payment is significant....$1,032 vs ~$700.

HG
Oh it only dropped it ~1300. I thought it would drop it the price of the upgrade ~8k.

I also took advantage of the last minute savings on the Model S 75kwh Tesla. Some one posted a concern about the large discount and how it would effect the regular priced vehicles others have purchased. I don't think this will effect that issue at all, because what others have not posted here was that this discount only applied to the 75 Kwh inventory vehicle, which by the way are all most likely showroom vehicles, ( Which mine is) If you read very closely the data sheet some even have up to and over 100 miles on them. Remember the upgrade to 75 is a software fix. Tesla is not loosing much by pushing out the showroom vehicles and standing inventory. Just my opinion.

Can anyone comment on if these discounts stipulated that car must be taken delivery before the end of the month? I'm seriously considering hopping on an inventory car, but there is no way I can take delivery before the month ends.

Also, is the 24 month lease promotion officially over? I still see lease quotes showing up as 24 month terms, but thought that ended mid-September.

How would you like to be the bank that just financed the lease on a P90D and assumed it would be worth the historical 60% of MSRP?!

Somebody got burned on that deal, and I doubt they know it yet. The banks are pretty savvy, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some clause that makes this Tesla's problem...

They removed the feature of the guaranteed residual value for a reason. I guess it was to allow for future sale discounting.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and esk8mw