Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bought used 2017 tmx, excruciating back pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I bought a used 2017 TMX with partly leather seats.
After taking it on a 90 minute drive home my back started to hurt a lot.
Over the last 5 weeks I've tried modifying the seat position in all kind of ways, always saving and driving for a prolonged period before testing a new setting.
The main issue seems to be the sides (bolstering?), they are too narrow and in combination with the protruding headrest (I'm 6'2", headrest highest position) I'm getting excruciating back pain when I drive for more than an hour.
We went on a holiday trip with the family, had to stay in bed for 3 days after because of my back.
Never had back issues, never experienced something like this. I even sit comfortably in the model3 seats.
So is there any way to do something about it? Can I swap with TMS seats instead for example?

Reactions: electrique
I had the same issue. Then I finally gave up and had my wife adjust the seat and no problem since.

Also one other tip. Make sure you put seat support under the back of your legs. I suspect the floor is higher than you think and that causes you to sit more “fetal position” like and you support yourself too much by just your butt. Make sure your legs are out enough so that the front edge of the seat supports some of your weight. I have to make an effect all the time that my feet are not to close and the back of my leg supported by the front edge of the seat.

It’s very subtle and you would never think it mattered much. But I think it does. I’m 5’11 166.5 lbs ;)

Reactions: electrique