Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought used 2018 MX 100D. Considering some upgrades... advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Europe, so some of these questions are location-specific, so any opinions, especially from those driving a MX in Europe would be appreciated.

Have been driving an MY for 15 months and now getting a second MX. I am wondering which one of these upgrades are worth the money:

1. CCS charging - does it actually speed up charging, or just enables charging at Tesla v3 only locations and 3rd party CCS chargers, but charges at the same speed as the original charge port?

2. FSD and/or HW3 - car currently has HW2.5 and EAP. In my MY (which I bought with FSD), in Europe, I consider FSD a waste of money as we don't get pretty much anything else (that actually works anyway) than what's already included in EAP. But there is one thing I'm missing in the MX that I have in the MY: the additional things the computer detects (mainly traffic lights, speed limits, etc.) and the functionality this provides (stopping at traffic lights, green light chime, which I understand is only available with HW3). So my initial idea is to only upgrade the hardware to HW3 (I think it's about EUR 1000) and stay with the EAP, which does these things. The only consideration is that as far as I understand, the upgrade to FSD (about 3600 EUR) already includes the HW3 upgrade without extra charge, making the difference only about EUR 2600. But if I pay for the HW3 upgrade alone, and later decide to upgrade to FSD for whatever reason, I assume it will still be the same cost so I would lose EUR 1000. The main question is, could the FSD upgrade potentially increase the resell value of the car (I intend to keep it for 1-3 years, then switch to a newer model) so that it's worth the additional EUR 2600?

Also, do I understand correctly that if I keep HW2.5 then the car will keep using the ultrasonic sensors i.e. no full switch to Tesla Vision only, which would then disable them? ATM, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, I just can't tell how Tesla Vision can detect something like the back wall of my dark garage, which the USS picks up with absolute accuracy - how does Tesla Vision see in the dark with cameras only? Also there are frequent constructions on German freeways with very narrow temporary lanes where the USS can clearly "see" that there is a barrier very, very close to the side of the car, and even a few cm/inches could make the difference of staying clear of it (which the USS enabled car is clearly capable of) and the possibility of a camera based system not being able to detect the distance of random objects like a steel barrier with such accuracy, and the consequences.

3. The car I bought comes with 22 inch wheels. While they look cool, I understand that the 20 inch wheels provide a softer and quieter ride, and I don't buy cars for a "cool look", rather for comfort (long road trips, etc.). Would "downgrading" (actually an upgrade IMO) to 20 inch wheels improve the ride quality enough to worth the trouble? Has anyone driven both and felt a significant difference in ride quality?

Any input and opinions are appreciated!

1. CCS gives u same speeds as SuperCharger, at least here in US. I thought EU cars already used CCS2?? not sure what ur asking...
3. Yes 20s give u little softer ride n longer range. I lose 15% with 22s but i prefer sportier ride.
  1. I think only the 3 and Y use CCS2 in EU, up to a certain year, but yes, I'd recommend it.
  2. No on FSD for me. I have 0 interest in it.
  3. Yes, I dropped my 22" wheels and much prefer the 20's. It wasn't cheap, but it works for us.
Best,

Yes, you will gain range and less harsh ride with 20". I have FSD beta and HW3. I stopped trying out the FSD as in my area it is really touch and go. I try it again when there is a new update, but then turn it back off. With EAP and HW3 (with FSD turned off so should be the same as cars without FSD) I get the stopping at stop signs and traffic lights, even if the light is green, unless I am following a couple car lengths to the car in front of me. You have to have Cruise engaged for this to happen. I get the green light chime even without cruise engaged. This could be a HW3 thing.

As for FSD, I am not holding my breath that it will really exist anytime soon. You'll have to decide if the cost is worth being part of the field testing. In my opinion we should get something from Tesla for helping them improve their software.

1. CCS gives u same speeds as SuperCharger, at least here in US. I thought EU cars already used CCS2?? not sure what ur asking...
3. Yes 20s give u little softer ride n longer range. I lose 15% with 22s but i prefer sportier ride.
Thank you - I haven't heard of different versions of CCS, the only info I have is that here in EU Tesla SC and pretty much everyone else uses the CCS "combo" connector, which goes up to a theoretical charging speed of 250kWh. I don't recall ever seeing anything faster than 150kWh or my MY which supposedly comes with the latest charging technology though. As far as I understand, only the version 3 Tesla SCs have the 250kWh capacity, and I have seen some chargers that no longer have the old style plug (which is different from the US charging plug), only the new CCS combo plugs - which won't fit in the old MX/MS charging ports without the CCS adapter. And the CCS adapter requires an internal upgrade as well, so without the upgrade (and not just the adapter) you can't charge at the CCS only SCs in Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
  1. I think only the 3 and Y use CCS2 in EU, up to a certain year, but yes, I'd recommend it.
  2. No on FSD for me. I have 0 interest in it.
  3. Yes, I dropped my 22" wheels and much prefer the 20's. It wasn't cheap, but it works for us.
Best,
1. Yes, correct - there is an upgrade to CCS for MX/MY, but I'm not sure what I will gain by installing it. It may only be compatibility, but no speed gain.
2. I feel similarly, but really like the traffic sign recognition, green light chime and traffic light stop in my MY. All of these don't require FSD, only HW3, so my dilemma is not "FSD or not", but does FSD add enough resell value to the car to worth an extra EUR 2600 compared to just the HW3 upgrade.
3. Good to know, thanks

Reactions: RNHurt
Yes, you will gain range and less harsh ride with 20". I have FSD beta and HW3. I stopped trying out the FSD as in my area it is really touch and go. I try it again when there is a new update, but then turn it back off. With EAP and HW3 (with FSD turned off so should be the same as cars without FSD) I get the stopping at stop signs and traffic lights, even if the light is green, unless I am following a couple car lengths to the car in front of me. You have to have Cruise engaged for this to happen. I get the green light chime even without cruise engaged. This could be a HW3 thing.

As for FSD, I am not holding my breath that it will really exist anytime soon. You'll have to decide if the cost is worth being part of the field testing. In my opinion we should get something from Tesla for helping them improve their software.
Yeah, FSD is vaporware at the moment for sure. I think maybe in 10 years. I think REAL, full time FSD is not even possible without the roads themselves changing (e.g. some built in guidance system like metal strips with some kind of communication with cars) because all it takes is bad weather, a broken down truck blocking a lane or a construction zone and the current FSD will just throw in the towel and park itself LOL. Full FSD, by definition would mean that the car can get from A to B with no one sitting in the car that even knows how to drive. The current "FSD" is at most about half way between a Volkswagen Beetle with a stick shift and "Full Self Driving".

I'm in Europe, so some of these questions are location-specific, so any opinions, especially from those driving a MX in Europe would be appreciated.

Have been driving an MY for 15 months and now getting a second MX. I am wondering which one of these upgrades are worth the money:

1. CCS charging - does it actually speed up charging, or just enables charging at Tesla v3 only locations and 3rd party CCS chargers, but charges at the same speed as the original charge port?

2. FSD and/or HW3 - car currently has HW2.5 and EAP. In my MY (which I bought with FSD), in Europe, I consider FSD a waste of money as we don't get pretty much anything else (that actually works anyway) than what's already included in EAP. But there is one thing I'm missing in the MX that I have in the MY: the additional things the computer detects (mainly traffic lights, speed limits, etc.) and the functionality this provides (stopping at traffic lights, green light chime, which I understand is only available with HW3). So my initial idea is to only upgrade the hardware to HW3 (I think it's about EUR 1000) and stay with the EAP, which does these things. The only consideration is that as far as I understand, the upgrade to FSD (about 3600 EUR) already includes the HW3 upgrade without extra charge, making the difference only about EUR 2600. But if I pay for the HW3 upgrade alone, and later decide to upgrade to FSD for whatever reason, I assume it will still be the same cost so I would lose EUR 1000. The main question is, could the FSD upgrade potentially increase the resell value of the car (I intend to keep it for 1-3 years, then switch to a newer model) so that it's worth the additional EUR 2600?

Also, do I understand correctly that if I keep HW2.5 then the car will keep using the ultrasonic sensors i.e. no full switch to Tesla Vision only, which would then disable them? ATM, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, I just can't tell how Tesla Vision can detect something like the back wall of my dark garage, which the USS picks up with absolute accuracy - how does Tesla Vision see in the dark with cameras only? Also there are frequent constructions on German freeways with very narrow temporary lanes where the USS can clearly "see" that there is a barrier very, very close to the side of the car, and even a few cm/inches could make the difference of staying clear of it (which the USS enabled car is clearly capable of) and the possibility of a camera based system not being able to detect the distance of random objects like a steel barrier with such accuracy, and the consequences.

3. The car I bought comes with 22 inch wheels. While they look cool, I understand that the 20 inch wheels provide a softer and quieter ride, and I don't buy cars for a "cool look", rather for comfort (long road trips, etc.). Would "downgrading" (actually an upgrade IMO) to 20 inch wheels improve the ride quality enough to worth the trouble? Has anyone driven both and felt a significant difference in ride quality?

In my personal experience, the Supercharger network has been more than adequate for my road trips and I really haven't had a need to get a CSS adapter (just swapped to 2020 MX LR+ from a 2021 MY LR).

As for the wheels, I'm definitely looking into getting 20 inch wheels too. Cheaper tires (I assume?), longer range (10-15% can be 30-40 miles), and smoother ride is definitely worth the trade-off of sportiness for what it sounds like you want out of the car.

Reactions: RNHurt
In my personal experience, the Supercharger network has been more than adequate for my road trips and I really haven't had a need to get a CSS adapter (just swapped to 2020 MX LR+ from a 2021 MY LR).

As for the wheels, I'm definitely looking into getting 20 inch wheels too. Cheaper tires (I assume?), longer range (10-15% can be 30-40 miles), and smoother ride is definitely worth the trade-off of sportiness for what it sounds like you want out of the car.
You are in a completely different ecosystem because you are in North America. The European models have different charging ports and our Superchargers are different as well. All Tesla Superchargers in Europe have CCS2, and the newer ones (V3) are CCS2 ONLY. So if you don't have a CCS upgrade in Europe, you can't use the newest V3 Superchargers at all. It's a different connector that doesn't fit the original S and X.

I've just been on a 6000km (about 4000 mile) European road trip and some segments of the trip would not have worked very well if I didn't have the CCS upgrade - they would have required me to take longer routes or have major detours just to have an old V2 Supercharger on the route. So I am really glad that I got the CCS upgrade installed right before the road trip.

Hey! I'm in almost the same boat. Just got the 2018 MX 100d last week and already thinking about the upgrades.
What did you do by now?
So CCS upgrade is a must for me as all the superchargers in Romania are V3 so CCS based that means I cant access them. Also the upgrade is just 250 euro or so.
As I understand some other upgrade would be the MCU2 which would give me Netflix and stuff. The kids would love it I think.
I don't really care about the autopilot upgrades as our roads have poor markings.
Good luck!

If a softer ride or slightly longer range are an issue to you, consider putting the model S 19 inch wheels on your model x. There's a thread here somewhere on it and the user has some pretty good thoughts about it. It does require spacers, so make sure you know everything before going in. But I'm thinking I might do that if we do go ahead and shell out for a model x.

MS wheels are not road legal under MX in Europe. Not high enough load rating. It might be that no one notices it, though. But typically after an accident these things are checked and might affect insurance etc if everything is not legal.

I swapped my 22" wheels for 20" aftermarket AEZ wheels that are approved for MX, and got about 1000€ in exchange... The 22" turbines are quite wanted among Tesla people.

20" is much quieter, comfortable and much better range. Win-win. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Genie and henderrj
MS wheels are not road legal under MX in Europe. Not high enough load rating. It might be that no one notices it, though. But typically after an accident these things are checked and might affect insurance etc if everything is not legal.

I swapped my 22" wheels for 20" aftermarket AEZ wheels that are approved for MX, and got about 1000€ in exchange... The 22" turbines are quite wanted among Tesla people.

20" is much quieter, comfortable and much better range. Win-win. :)
got any photo or pic w #s of ms 19" mx 20" slipstream load rating?

tsla load rating on mx is overkill when not towing a trailer...

Also I got a problem with charging. Though at home I got 3 phase circuit (40+amps 230v , 400v) the car only gets
1) 6kw from the mobile connector which is 1phase*16a*230v - should be 11kw?
2)11kw from type 2 connection rated 22kw?! (should be something at least 16-17kw?)

Yeah, car doesn't understand "2 phase", it shows 3 phases but only charges with 2/3 power.

There are reports that some have fixed the charger, apparently it has internal fuses that can burn. But I'm not sure if that only applied to the older 11kw charger..