Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bought used 3 privately, transporter in accident, can’t access my car, battery at 32%, now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to this group and this is my 1st post. I have recently purchased a used Tesla model 3 from a couple in New York. This is a 2018 long range model 3 which has 5000 miles on it and all the transactions went pretty smooth with this seller.

I booked a shipping company called Montway to pick up the car and deliver it to me in Dallas, Texas. This was on October 22nd and the car was picked up on October 28th and was supposed to be delivered to me within 5 business days

I was told that the car will be Delivered on Friday October 30. I was so excited and looking forward for it. I took the day off from work and I was waiting for my car to be delivered. I get a call from Montway the morning of Friday August informing that the truck was in an accident the previous night with another car and car delivery would be delayed.

They couldn't tell me at that point of time how much would be the delay and they said they would get back to me. Since they already shared the driver number with me, I called him and asked him what's going on and he said that the truck was in an accident with another car and the driver of the car was killed and that the truck is now in a body shop and they are waiting for a replacement truck to pick up the trailer. I inquired about the condition of the car and he said since the impact was to the front right side of the truck, everything else on the trailer was intact (he shared picture of the damage done to the right sude of the truck from impact, and it checked out with the before pics of the truck I got from the seller).
Resized_3311D997-1.jpeg

I gave it a couple of days and called Montway they said they're still waiting for the Carrier to get back to them.

Since I had the Carrier direct number, I called the Carrier and they said that they're waiting for police clearance. When I enquired why, they said that since the car and truck was in an accident, they need police to clear to release the vehicle from The Body Shop with sounded reasonable considering that the truck was in an accident with a car and the driver of the car was killed.

So I gave it a couple of more days and I called the Carrier and he said they're still waiting on police clearance so I called mont way and pressed them to give me the contact number or the location of where the trucker is. so they provided me with the location of The Body Shop, they did not know what The Body Shop name was so they just gave me the address of where the truck is. When I googled the address, it pointed me to a location couple of miles off I 10 near Houston. I called the body shop and the owner of the shop told me that they have received the police clearance and they are waiting for someone to come and pick up the truck, which was in total contrast or opposite to what Montway or the Carrier was informing me so I called Montway and informed that, Hey, I called the Body shop and they have informed me that they have received the police clearance and are waiting for Carrier to pick up the truck so mont way called the Carrier and a day later they have informed me that they will pick up the car the next day, Nov 8th and delivery to me by noon.

So, like before I took the day off from work and I stayed home excited again to receive the car. I waited till 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon since The Body Shop is like 4 hours from Dallas I guessed even if they started in the morning it will be by noon that they reach Dallas. since I did not receive any call from the driver I called mont way and asked them what's going on . They called the Carrier and called me back and informed me that they were supposed to pick up the car in the morning by they did not, because their lawyer said that they cannot take the truck out of The Body Shop as there is a court order till the November 22nd to not move the truck. This news dis heartened me,frustrated me .

I started arguing with the mont way representative that how can a Carrier tell you that they can pick up the truck the next day and Deliver the car and A-day later they say that there is a court order till Nov 22nd and how mont way did not even think of asking the Carrier the same question that I had asked them .

I asked to speak to a supervisor at mont way and when the supervisor called me I asked him if mont way even got pictures of all the vehicles on the truck to ensure that they're in a safe situation and also to send those pictures to their customers informing them that the truck is in an accident but your cars are fine or did they ask the Carrier to provide them with a court order proving that the truck cannot be moved till the number 22nd so these are the basic things that Montway as a broker agency should have done with the Carrier even before me as a customer asking them. It's been 2 days since this call and I'm still waiting for pictures of my car and the proof that there is really a court order.

Just to ease my nerves, I am planning to travel 4hrs to Schulenburg Texas in A-day or 2 depending on when I can get the day off from work and visit The Body Shop and see for myself that there in fact is a truck at The Body Shop with my model 3 on it and also if I can approach the vehicle, I do not know what the court order says, probably the owner of The Body Shop will tell me so. if I can approach the truck I am planning to take a video and few pictures of my car and to see if it is in a good condition.

Also, the kicker is that the seller could not charge the car to full battery capacity and it had only 72 miles on it when he loaded the car on to the truck. which was OK with me, because ideally the car was supposed to be delivered in 5 days from the pick up time and I calculated, it would probably have like 45 miles to 50 miles on it and I could take it to a supercharger before I can start charging it in my garage.

But now the car has been without charging for 15 days. I was able to send the required documentation to Tesla customer care and get the model 3 added to my Tesla account but I could not see the diagnostics of the car because the mobile app needs mobile access to be enabled from within the car settings menu.

Yesterday I called the roadside assistance of Tesla and Provided them all the details of my situation and asked them if they can let me know what the battery capacity is.

they took all my details for validation and were able to confirm that the battery is at 32%. I asked them to see if they can tell me where the location of the car is, but they said they do not have those details with them which is understandable. the lady also said that if the car will be delivered to me like 22nd of November then most likely the battery will be dead and I cannot charge the car at a supercharger without 1st jump starting the car which would either mean I would need to call Tesla road side assistance or call my insurance for roadside assistance.

In either case it's a bit of a pain to actually have dead battery, not to mention it's not good on the battery. but at this stage, I'll be glad and happy to receive my car at a 0 battery at least on the 22nd of November.

I was so excited to get my model 3, since I have been pondering the decision for over year and a 1/2 and finally I made the decision to buy at a Tesla and this is what happens. I am still excited to drive the car but all this had taken my energy down and I'm really hoping that at least I can get the car on the next promised timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a very sad situation, indeed, particularly when thinking about the loss of life that was involved here.

What I don’t get is why doesn’t this shipping company have any other truck that they can load your car onto?
They do..atleast, that's what they said...it's the court order preventing them to move the truck and trailer and the cars on it , out of the body shop...again, that's what they say anyways

Hopefully there really was no damage to your car. This is a tricky situation from a legal standpoint. Who is responsible for any damage that occurs while the car is being transported from seller to buyer. Most likely the trucking company, but in this case while there may be no damage there are financial damages to you for not having the car for almost a month beyond the date you were supposed to receive it. But the trucker’s insurance most likely only carries liability insurance to cover damage, not loss of use.

In any case, I hope it resolves itself quickly for you. What a mess.

Reactions: DarkHorse
Hopefully there really was no damage to your car. This is a tricky situation from a legal standpoint. Who is responsible for any damage that occurs while the car is being transported from seller to buyer. Most likely the trucking company, but in this case while there may be no damage there are financial damages to you for not having the car for almost a month beyond the date you were supposed to receive it. But the trucker’s insurance most likely only carries liability insurance to cover damage, not loss of use.

In any case, I hope it resolves itself quickly for you. What a mess.
Yes, they probably only have liability insurance which would cover any damages (if any) to the car. Anyway, I do not want to deal with them after the delivery of the car for loss of use. I have lost enough peace of mind dealing with them already.

Your dates are strange and I was unable to follow. You say the car was picked up in NY on August 28th but then the next date you mention is that the car was supposed to be retrieved on November 8th. That's a pretty huge gap of time.

@DarkHorse Man have to say this is the saddest delivery I have read. Feel bad for the driver of the carrier, regardless of who's fault the accident was being that the driver in the other car died. Feel badly for you to have your Tesla delivery delayed like this and so close to home too and after such a long wait. If the truck is at a body shop under court order I would hope someone could at least charge it for you like with a long heavy duty extension cord and mobile charging unit (hope you got one with your car) even if they won't let the cars leave the carrier. Aren't there companies out there that have mobile charging abilities? Should be. I just hate to see your car's battery go dead over this delay. Well keeping my fingers crossed for you everything eventually works out okay. I too would drive up to the body shop to see the sitution for myself. Hope to hear good news from you in the coming days. Your car looks great BTW and hope it didn't get damaged.

BTW I found this 2016 article about AAA having emergency charging for electric vehicles and have no idea is it's still something out there. Kind of would think Tesla Roadside Assistance should be capable of doing this too. AAA says that its emergency electric vehicle charging trucks served "thousands" of EVs without power - Electrek Might want to look into it and if you can get this service see if when you get to the body shop if somehow they could let your car get charged. You would need to have access to a mobile charging kit, and my guess here, a J1772 adapter (would depend on the emergency charging connection). If your not a AAA member and they can do this, would be worth it signing up IMO. We have AAA Plus membership and it can still come in handy (just like a week ago I somehow ran over one of those half parking blocks with one wheel...don't ask because I don't know...and had to have them come out, floor jack the car up on the jack points, add wood blocks and enable me to drive back over the dang block safely to freedom. All I can say is it paid having my membership and got me on my way. Total egg on face moment. Although AAA dispatcher told me 75% of the extractions they do are people getting stuck by parking blocks. Still didn't make me feel any better.

Last edited:
Man have to say this is the saddest delivery I have read. Feel bad for the driver of the carrier, regardless of who's fault the accident was being that the couple in the other car died. Feel badly for you to have your Tesla delivery delayed like this and so close to home too. If the truck is at a body shop under court order I would hope someone could at least charge it for you like with a long heavy duty extension cord and mobile charging unit (hope you got one with your car) even if they won't let the cars leave the carrier. Aren't there companies out there that have mobile charging abilities? Should be. I just hate to see your car's battery go dead over this delay. Well keeping my fingers crossed for you everything eventually works out okay. I too would drive up to the body shop to see the sitution for myself. Hope to hear good news from you in the coming days.
I agree..has to be the saddest longest delivery experience...I might travel to the body shop tomorrow, if I do, I will ask the owner of the body shop if he can run an extension cable to the truck to charge the car...will see how it goes...will post updates here...

@DarkHorse Man have to say this is the saddest delivery I have read. Feel bad for the driver of the carrier, regardless of who's fault the accident was being that the couple in the other car died. Feel badly for you to have your Tesla delivery delayed like this and so close to home too and after such a long wait. If the truck is at a body shop under court order I would hope someone could at least charge it for you like with a long heavy duty extension cord and mobile charging unit (hope you got one with your car) even if they won't let the cars leave the carrier. Aren't there companies out there that have mobile charging abilities? Should be. I just hate to see your car's battery go dead over this delay. Well keeping my fingers crossed for you everything eventually works out okay. I too would drive up to the body shop to see the sitution for myself. Hope to hear good news from you in the coming days. Your car looks great BTW and hope it didn't get damaged.

BTW I found this 2016 article about AAA having emergency charging for electric vehicles and have no idea is it's still something out there. Kind of would think Tesla Roadside Assistance should be capable of doing this too. AAA says that its emergency electric vehicle charging trucks served "thousands" of EVs without power - Electrek Might want to look into it and if you can get this service see if when you get to the body shop if somehow they could let your car get charged. You would need to have access to a mobile charging kit, and my guess here, a J1772 adapter (would depend on the emergency charging connection). If your not a AAA member and they can do this, would be worth it signing up IMO.
Sure..will check out AAA...thank you

Also can anyone help me on 'how to edit' my initial post..want to modify the timeline...

Sure..will check out AAA...thank you

Also can anyone help me on 'how to edit' my initial post..want to modify the timeline...

I think if you hit "report" on your original post and explain what you want changed they might see it and be able to do it. I don't think original first posts can be edited by the poster unlike later posts in the thread can be.

If the body shop has a 14-50 outlet that would be great and a bit faster charge but you'd still need the appropriate 14-50 adapter for the mobile kit. The seller should know what is in the kit that came with the car (a J1772 should be there, and depending on when the car was manufactured possibly a NEMA 14-50 but they did stop including those at some point). If the kit is in the car, I suppose the driver has possession of the keys to your car which if you don't have app access to yet? to unlock to get the kit you'd need his keys. Just something to think about ahead of time since you're not local.

Last edited:
I think if you hit "report" on your original post and explain what you want changed they might see it and be able to do it. I don't think original first posts can be edited by the poster unlike later posts in the thread can be.

If the body shop has a 14-50 outlet that would be great and a bit faster charge but you'd still need the appropriate 14-50 adapter for the mobile kit. If the kit is in the car, I suppose the driver has possession of the keys to your car which if you don't have app access to yet? to unlock to get the kit you'd need his keys. Just something to think about ahead of time since you're not local.
The seller has sent me the second key card, so I'll carry that with me.

Reactions: SMAlset
OP - sorry to hear this is happening to you. Glad to hear you have one of the key cards at least. I'm hoping the body shop will at least let you level 1 charge. Did the seller send you a pic with the car on the transport ? Is it on the bottom or upper level ?

If you can get a UMC it will unlock the port but at the end you would need a key to get the handle free.
If you were near me I would gladly loan you my UMC to get some current into the car even if you can't access the UMC in your car. A 120volt outlet would be fine you are in no rush.