Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boulder Sales and er... Gallery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that the Colorado Dept. of Revenue has confirmed the size of the credit ... floodgates are open. Not much time left, though.

Tell me about it.

I live about 10 minutes from the new "gallery," and I stopped by on Saturday afternoon. The place was pretty mobbed, and the small sales team was just getting hammered.

The problem right now is that there is immense time pressure to make a deal. They say that the order must be paid for in full by Wednesday in order for them to guarantee delivery by the end of the year (2009 delivery is a requirement for the big tax credit). That's fine if you're ready to pay in cash, but for those of who want to arrange financing (or who just don't keep $125k liquid at all times), it's very tight.

It's clear that they don't have their ducks fully in a row yet, though they've been nothing but professional and forthright when asked some obvious questions, like:

Does your contract stipulate the delivery guarantee? ("Not yet, but it should.")

Winter driving is different in Colorado. Do you have snow tires available? We could get a foot of snow on Wednesday. ("We ordered them, but they sent the wrong ones.") [Test drives later this week are going to be very interesting...]

What's the out-the-door price? ("Uh, let's google 'Colorado sales tax' to see what it is.") [Vehicle sales tax is somewhat complicated in Colorado because of all the different regulatory jurisdictions.]

Pile on the general store mayhem and confusion with the droves of gawkers walking in, and it's a recipe for fun over there these first few days. :smile: I'm still going to try to order one if I can make the stars align on all the dependencies. It would be nice to have just one or two more weeks, though!

SEAN MAHER: Some thoughts for the new Boulder City Council - Boulder Daily Camera

A few months ago, Tesla Motors inquired about opening an automotive gallery in downtown Boulder. The city's economic vitality team jumped into action. Thanks to creative problem solving by city staff, a process that could have taken months took just days.

Within a few weeks after Tesla first showed interest in Boulder, the company had its newest gallery open at Ninth and Pearl in a building that had been vacant for more than a year. Thanks to the new Boulder location, Tesla has sold 15 cars so far in Colorado at more than $100,000 each. Plus their presence is generating buzz and traffic downtown which is hugely beneficial in a tough economy.

I take it that it's completely impossible to order a Tesla in Colorado now and get delivery before the end of the year? (or get a random person to do it for you? lol)

Certainly a built-to-order would be out of the question. I believe all the available spec and showroom vehicles were also sold a while ago.

I think most if not all of the orders were delivered this week.

Does anyone know if the Boulder Gallery will be open on Saturday, July 3rd? I'm looking to make a trip to Colorado with my family and was hoping to drop by the Boulder Gallery on the 3rd while I'm out there.

However since July 4th is Sunday, which is a day the Gallery is normally closed, I want to make sure the store will be open on the 3rd before I make the trip out there.

EDIT: I talked to Ben at the Boulder store a few hours ago. Yes, they'll be open for the normal hours in case anyone here is curious. I'm going to call him back Monday and see if I can setup a test drive for that Saturday.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Boulder Gallery will be open on Saturday, July 3rd? I'm looking to make a trip to Colorado with my family and was hoping to drop by the Boulder Gallery on the 3rd while I'm out there.

However since July 4th is Sunday, which is a day the Gallery is normally closed, I want to make sure the store will be open on the 3rd before I make the trip out there.

I would just give them a call.