Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bounced Check?!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So about a week after I picked up my CPO, I got an email from my DS that the cashier's check bounced and I need to go back to my bank (Chase) and get a new one sent. I can't understand how a cashier's check would bounce as that defeats the entire purpose of it! I called Chase who told me I need to visit the branch I got the check from to straighten it out. The very next day I got an apology email stating they tried to upload the check twice in their system and hence the second attempt bounced, obviously and not to worry, everything is ok. Simple mistake, fine.

2 weeks later, I get ANOTHER email saying the check bounced and I need to get a new one issued. My response was not too friendly as you can imagine and now they are looking into this further. Plus, I am out of town this week and first thing when I get back, I am bringing my car in to correct CPO issues as this was the first available appointment with a Tesla loaner, so I wont have time. Is Tesla's internal accounting department REALLY screwed up??? Has anyone experienced anything like this? I am pretty annoyed by this experience.

I would think that cashiers checks can only bounce if they are fraudulent, or if the bank made an error, or if Tesla made an error. So it has nothing to do with you and I would tell them that. Tell them to speak directly to your bank about it since there's nothing you can say to them.

As for being "pretty annoyed" -- look at it this way -- that's a frame of mind. You can simply decide not to be annoyed by it and put it out of your mind. It will work itself out. Save being annoyed for bigger problems in your life, since they're sure to come along.

As for being "pretty annoyed" -- look at it this way -- that's a frame of mind. You can simply decide not to be annoyed by it and put it out of your mind. It will work itself out. Save being annoyed for bigger problems in your life, since they're sure to come along.
While I agree with this, I don't follow it myself...

I'm somewhat OCD, and knowing that there's something hanging over me, waiting to be fixed would bother me (maybe not annoy). Even if it's not me needing to fix it, just a simple "this is wrong, we're working on it, we'll keep you updated" would be enough to annoy/bother me, because that's another thing where I need to keep an eye on it, to make sure the ball is not dropped.

Reactions: calisnow
While I agree with this, I don't follow it myself...

I'm somewhat OCD, and knowing that there's something hanging over me, waiting to be fixed would bother me (maybe not annoy). Even if it's not me needing to fix it, just a simple "this is wrong, we're working on it, we'll keep you updated" would be enough to annoy/bother me, because that's another thing where I need to keep an eye on it, to make sure the ball is not dropped.

Bingo. It's a personality trait. I hate having things on my plate, to do list, etc. I think we call this a type "A" personality. It has its good and bad qualities. I just told Tesla they will have to work this out with the bank.

I hear you both -- loudly. I used to be the same way. But my life changed dramatically after I read this book. We speak to ourselves all day long. If we change the way we speak to ourselves, we can change much of our reality, and our quality of life. But it does take understanding and practice.

Now, if you told me you just found a lump and were diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo chemo and get your finances in order for your children, then you should rightfully be very annoyed. Annoyance has its place. It would drive you to do what is required in those circumstances. In the circumstances of this case, it just reduces your quality of life. There's no need for it. And you decide if you want to be annoyed or not. It's all up to you despite your personality type.

Why not just have Chase WIRE Tesla your funds using your bank's "wire transfer" capability. As a 35 year veteran commercial real estate broker and investor neither our clients nor I have ever had issues with wire transfers. Not so with checks, including Certified and Cashier's Checks. In fact here in California our title company insurance escrows refuse to accept large checks on real estate purchases because of the exact issues you've encountered.

Best part is wire transfers have complete funds tracking from originating bank to destination bank including date & time stamps.

Yes Chase might charge you a small wire transfer fee but if they're Cashier's Checks have been a problem they might waive the charge, especially if you're a good customer.

YMMV

T
Why not just have Chase WIRE Tesla your funds using your bank's "wire transfer" capability. As a 35 year veteran commercial real estate broker and investor neither our clients nor I have ever had issues with wire transfers. Not so with checks, including Certified and Cashier's Checks. In fact here in California our title company insurance escrows refuse to accept large checks on real estate purchases because of the exact issues you've encountered.

Best part is wire transfers have complete funds tracking from originating bank to destination bank including date & time stamps.

Yes Chase might charge you a small wire transfer fee but if they're Cashier's Checks have been a problem they might waive the charge, especially if you're a good customer.

YMMV
That's a good idea and I will suggest that when I call Chase tomorrow.

I thought a cashier's check was as good as cash. It's not your problem. It's between Tesla and the Bank that has guaranteed the funds. I'd just ignore the problem for a week and see if it sorts itself out. :) If you want to be nice and go through all the frustration, you can help. Otherwise, I'd let them spin their own wheels. If they can't figure out how to get their own computers to accept payment, that's their internal problem. You've paid for the car as agreed.

Tesla made a human error and tried to cash the check twice. According to Chase, the first attempt was successful but according to Tesla, neither was. There is nothing more I can do at this point as I have connected Tesla to my local branch that issued the check and they need to resolve it. I don't have the money in my account anymore and this is what I told Tesla who now said they will handle it from here. What amazes me is they have been insistent that they were not paid properly which according to Chase is not true. I'll be interested to see the final outcome, but I am certainly not inquiring.

The entire experience is disappointing. Tesla certainly looks like amateurs here and what is funny is that they still owe me my leather fob keychains that were out of stock when I picked up my car and there has been no mention of that.

This should be very easy to resolve. Cashier's checks are guaranteed/certified, thus the bank will always move the money before saying that the transaction is completed.

If the money isn't in your account, and it isn't in Chase's account (they say the check was cashed), then there's only one other place it can be. :)

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum