Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bouncy Suspension Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new 2021 Long-Range Model S. I find the suspension to be very "bouncy," and I do not find much difference between the available suspension options (Comfort, Auto, Sport, Advanced (and the settings within Advanced)). It gives me a headache at times, and my wife has noticed when she rides as a passenger. It is true that I was used to a fairly stiff suspension in my prior car, but I travel a lot and I drive rental cars of many makes and models; in comparison I find the Tesla suspension to be unusually "bouncy."

Do others have this experience, and does anyone have any tips of settings or adjustments I may not have tried to make the ride more comfortable?

After owning my Model S for just over a week, I concur with your statement. It gives me a slight headache too. There is just something about the suspension and the EV maybe that make for a bouncy ride. Even our dog, which falls right asleep in cars, can’t sleep at all in my Tesla. On one 30 minute drive she was shaking. Wish I could figure out what is causing this or if it is just normal. Being a first time Tesla owner, I can’t tell what is normal or not.

I just know in my BMW 5 Series the ride was as smooth as could be.

After owning my Model S for just over a week, I concur with your statement. It gives me a slight headache too. There is just something about the suspension and the EV maybe that make for a bouncy ride. Even our dog, which falls right asleep in cars, can’t sleep at all in my Tesla. On one 30 minute drive she was shaking. Wish I could figure out what is causing this or if it is just normal. Being a first time Tesla owner, I can’t tell what is normal or not.

I just know in my BMW 5 Series the ride was as smooth as could be.
The acceleration braking can make dogs nervous and humans queasy. Use chill mode

I asked Service and they said the suspension is different than Raven and they don’t have any way of adjusting but can send feedback back to engineering.

I played with the advanced settings and it shows a big difference in damping between sport and comfort but g levels seem about the same magnitude on the same road (but not same section) and speed.

4B7F395D-D69B-44A1-95D3-EB1E95E8CF65.jpeg
F2A4A47E-9F07-4447-BB56-275EFBA30083.jpeg

I have my refresh S in for some QC fixes today and brought up the bouncy feeling. I think it is quite noticeable on some roads.

Tesla gave me an older P90D Model S and I thought it drove extremely smooth. I would be happy if my car drove that smoothly and think dog would be too. I don’t think that model has air suspension either, but could be wrong.

Also liked that on the P90D that it showed album art/radio stations on the console and also had more options to customize the console behind the steering while. How can new Model S not have that? Also - was surprised it had AM radio too and can’t figure out why new Model S would not have that. Strange.

Has anyone received or heard of a fix for the lack of Comfort suspension? I too feel no difference between Comfort, sport or any manual settings. Feels like Sport at all times.
I took mine to the service center. They drove it twice and told me the ride is different but it is very subtle. I hate the rough ride and cannot tell the difference in my ass between sport or comfort.

Reactions: Jabbahop
If mine comes back the same from the service center, then I will just sell the car. Hard to explain, but is bouncy and pulling. I have heard some say that is the performance/sporty ride of the car, but I have had plenty of performance cars and none have done that and still had a great ride too.

I just hope they fix it, but don’t have much faith, since others have reported similar.