Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bouncy Suspension Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I've never noticed any "bouncy-ness" or pulling. Love my car. Works well. I've put on nearly a thousand miles of local driving in the past month, and no queasy feeling, no dogs howling (no dogs). I may have a bigger butt, but no one else I know seems to have your problem. I'd say, yeah, go sell your car at a loss and don't make the same mistake again. I'd bet there are several people who'd love your car and be happy to get it at $10,000 below what you paid.

• Funny
Reactions: lbowroom
Interesting. I've never noticed any "bouncy-ness" or pulling. Love my car. Works well. I've put on nearly a thousand miles of local driving in the past month, and no queasy feeling, no dogs howling (no dogs). I may have a bigger butt, but no one else I know seems to have your problem. I'd say, yeah, go sell your car at a loss and don't make the same mistake again. I'd bet there are several people who'd love your car and be happy to get it at $10,000 below what you paid.
Could have a faulty car. Seems like other people, including the person who started this thread has the same issue. So, not just me. Was expecting to be blown away, but not even close to the rid of BMW 5 Series. We shall see. :)

Could have a faulty car. Seems like other people, including the person who started this thread has the same issue. So, not just me. Was expecting to be blown away, but not even close to the rid of BMW 5 Series. We shall see. :)
Before getting my car, there were reviews by owners that stated the ride was smooth etc and a major upgrade from previous Model S and Model 3. What’s the point in a comfort setting if it’s not discernible? I take my car in for this issue on 12/22 and will report back…

Reactions: DBV1
Just picked up my 2022 Plaid. Wow, the suspension is terrible bouncy on poor roads. Not rough, just like it gets in a grove and keeps bouncing regardless of setting. Smooth asphalt roads, perfect and compliant. I found it to be almost unbearable on cement roads where there is heavy truck traffic. Almost like the truck trailers get to bouncing, and it just continues for miles on end. I am not sure if the wheelbase is just the right length or what, but I have never had a car experience like this.

Just picked up my 2022 Plaid. Wow, the suspension is terrible bouncy on poor roads. Not rough, just like it gets in a grove and keeps bouncing regardless of setting. Smooth asphalt roads, perfect and compliant. I found it to be almost unbearable on cement roads where there is heavy truck traffic. Almost like the truck trailers get to bouncing, and it just continues for miles on end. I am not sure if the wheelbase is just the right length or what, but I have never had a car experience like this.
Yep - that is what I am experiencing. Can’t imagine driving it on I-75 from Ohio Border to Detroit. So, guessing there probably won’t be a fix then? Hopefully Tesla service has an update for me tomorrow, but not expecting much.

Same issue here with 2022 MSLR received yesterday. We have the Y and hated the drive comfort for the back passengers but disappointed with S so far. Hoping the issue will settle down after a few days otherwise it gets sold. Good thing is that I am selling the Y for above the purchase price with 2 months of use.

I have 19's with the Pirelli Elect tires, which also come on the Porsche Taycan. The Taycan states at partial load the psi should be at 36F, 33R. My Model S LR comes in at a similar weight to the Taycan, so I tried out 36 psi on all four corners tonight and it did help with the overall ride comfort. The bounciness is still there, but maybe 10-20% less bouncy/harsh. Also, I was previously running 39 psi before, so if you're running more than that it may have a greater impact.

Reactions: kj71109
I was hoping @DBV1 had better news. I am too struggling with the suspension on my 2021 MS LR w/ 21s. I have aftermarket 19s on order that hopefully will smooth things but if not, I am going to have to sell this car and get an EQS (when the get stocked up). It's embarrassing to take people for a ride in this car with the suspension like it is (they complain and laugh at the cost of the car vs. the comfort). I had a 2015 MS 85D before this and it rides like a dream compared to this car.

I was hoping @DBV1 had better news. I am too struggling with the suspension on my 2021 MS LR w/ 21s. I have aftermarket 19s on order that hopefully will smooth things but if not, I am going to have to sell this car and get an EQS (when the get stocked up). It's embarrassing to take people for a ride in this car with the suspension like it is (they complain and laugh at the cost of the car vs. the comfort). I had a 2015 MS 85D before this and it rides like a dream compared to this car.
Yeah - it is too bad. FYI - I do have the Tesla 19’s All Seasons on mine and still experiencing this.

I just don’t get how this is an air suspension or how anyone thinks this has a sport/refined suspension. It is far from it. It is like a bouncy/mushy type ride. I drove my wife’s BMW X5 yesterday and it was so much more refined. Too bad about the suspension, as the Model S would be a great car if the suspension was better. I keep thinking this can’t be normal and surprised more people don’t complain about it. Maybe they are not coming from luxury cars though.

I thought about the EQS too. Just wish the base model EQS came with AWD, since live in a snowy climate.

Yeah - it is too bad. FYI - I do have the Tesla 19’s All Seasons on mine and still experiencing this.

I just don’t get how this is an air suspension or how anyone thinks this has a sport/refined suspension. It is far from it. It is like a bouncy/mushy type ride. I drove my wife’s BMW X5 yesterday and it was so much more refined. Too bad about the suspension, as the Model S would be a great car if the suspension was better. I keep thinking this can’t be normal and surprised more people don’t complain about it. Maybe they are not coming from luxury cars though.

I thought about the EQS too. Just wish the base model EQS came with AWD, since live in a snowy climate.

Coming from German/Asian full size luxury sedans, I'm with you on the suspension. It would be the best car I've ever owned if it had a complaint suspension. I'm not sure if Tesla understands who their customer is for the MS, especially in base configuration. I didn't buy this car to take it to the track, drag racing, or my local back roads, I have a sports car for that. Please Tesla give us a suspension software update with an actual "comfort" setting.

Just to add another data point, I went from '20 Raven to '21 Plaid both with 19's and immediately noticed the overly bouncy suspension on comfort setting specifically. It actually reminded me of my experience with M3/MY. Was hoping it was just a break in period but based on the other comments here that doesn't seem likely. Hope Tesla takes note and gets it dialed in via future software update as this is very disappointing. Not expecting it to ride like Merc or Rolls but it should at least match previous generation suspension in comfort level if not surpass it. As someone else noted, we're not all driving to the track or drag racing. Going to try lower psi @savetheplanet suggested and see if that helps.

The settings below seem to work best for me on my local roads. It will vary depending on your location. Also, I'm running 36 psi all around still, but will try out 33 psi rear and see if that changes anything. Medium ride height is definitely better than low too.

With these settings the ride is firm, but doesn't seem to bounce as much. The suspension seems to settle better after bumps. To me it feels more like a sporty sedan ride now (i.e. AMG E63, BMW M3, etc.). The bounciness is still there, but better. I will continue to try out different settings and report back. Also, would like to hear if these settings have helped anyone else or if it's just my roads that it works on.

PXL_20220105_013352574.jpg

I have same problem with my new Model S LR. I’m SURE that this is a suspension flaw…. Tesla didn’t expend all that engineering effort on a complex, heavy,and expensive system to affect a change in ride so subtle that it can’t be detected. The problem is getting the service techs to agree that it’s broke. I describe the ride as “like driving diagonally across a speed hump”…. NOT acceptable in any high end sport sedan. To date, has anyone gotten a fix? What was it?

I ended up replacing my rims and tires with 19's last weekend and it seems to have helped a lot. Did not fix the problem but even passengers (wife) can tell. Not as sexy as the 21's but its close enough for me. Ended up spending about $7,316 (tax and shipping included) which is more than I wanted to spend but I guess it's better than selling the car. Plan to sell my factory 21's soon to recoup some of the cost.
Before:
telsa-before-21s.JPG

After:
telsa-after-19s.JPG

21's up close:
telsa-21s.JPG

19's up close:
telsa-19s.JPG

Last edited:
I have same problem with my new Model S LR. I’m SURE that this is a suspension flaw…. Tesla didn’t expend all that engineering effort on a complex, heavy,and expensive system to affect a change in ride so subtle that it can’t be detected. The problem is getting the service techs to agree that it’s broke. I describe the ride as “like driving diagonally across a speed hump”…. NOT acceptable in any high end sport sedan. To date, has anyone gotten a fix? What was it?

Yes, all Tesla's have this feeling. I don't know what the technical term is, but under certain bumps there can be a corner-to-corner instability, like the car lacks rigidity in a diagonal axis.

I have a new 2021 Long-Range Model S. I find the suspension to be very "bouncy," and I do not find much difference between the available suspension options (Comfort, Auto, Sport, Advanced (and the settings within Advanced)). It gives me a headache at times, and my wife has noticed when she rides as a passenger. It is true that I was used to a fairly stiff suspension in my prior car, but I travel a lot and I drive rental cars of many makes and models; in comparison I find the Tesla suspension to be unusually "bouncy."

Do others have this experience, and does anyone have any tips of settings or adjustments I may not have tried to make the ride more comfortable?
I have the same experience/complaint. My 2015 P85D is a better ride for the passengers. As a sports car it is acceptable. As a sports sedan not so much. The seats are also not supportive and adjustable enough (lower leg and headrest mainly).
I've been a Tesla owner long enough to know they will probably fix the suspension through software, eventually. Anyone remember how sketchy the first draft of autopilot was?