Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bouncy Suspension Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came from a 2015 MS and that was WAY more comfortable to drive so not so how ' this is the most comfortable Tesla so far' can be accurate. Actually, every car I have owned in my life is more comfortable than this 2021 MS LR. (Audi A6, Acura TL, and Honda Accord to name a few).
Yeah, I’ve owned 2 2013 Model S, 2 2016 Model X, over 5 different Model 3, 2 Model Y, and all of them I felt every single imperfection in the road, super harsh rides. This 2022 Model S Plaid is the most soft and comfortable rides when compared to any of those other Teslas I’ve owned.

Reactions: mscott
Yeah, I’ve owned 2 2013 Model S, 2 2016 Model X, over 5 different Model 3, 2 Model Y, and all of them I felt every single imperfection in the road, super harsh rides. This 2022 Model S Plaid is the most soft and comfortable rides when compared to any of those other Teslas I’ve owned.
Maaz: it sounds like you have a “working“ Adjustable Ride Comfort system in your ’22 Plaid.… unlike my ‘22 LR. I’m trying to work out a fix for this issue. To do this I need to know what the “suspension info“ screen reads on a “good“ system. I will be eternally grateful if you would look at your suspension info screen and record the 7 numbers that I describe in the post that I include below. It only takes a minute, just follow the instructions in the post. Thanks!
Post in thread 'Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension'
Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension

Maaz: it sounds like you have a “working“ Adjustable Ride Comfort system in your ’22 Plaid.… unlike my ‘22 LR. I’m trying to work out a fix for this issue. To do this I need to know what the “suspension info“ screen reads on a “good“ system. I will be eternally grateful if you would look at your suspension info screen and record the 7 numbers that I describe in the post that I include below. It only takes a minute, just follow the instructions in the post. Thanks!
Post in thread 'Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension'
Show of hands… Adaptive Suspension

Attachments

• 3A5EE6F4-C8A3-484C-8C16-0133CA1F794F.jpeg
    3A5EE6F4-C8A3-484C-8C16-0133CA1F794F.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 666DF75B-ED80-4C98-A299-12BAA6ECCFBA.jpeg
    666DF75B-ED80-4C98-A299-12BAA6ECCFBA.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 117
  • D00DDB9F-1A49-4129-80A5-335A338BDC24.jpeg
    D00DDB9F-1A49-4129-80A5-335A338BDC24.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 12E61EFE-3165-4ED9-AA46-1700C9CC7F2D.jpeg
    12E61EFE-3165-4ED9-AA46-1700C9CC7F2D.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 4AB616E2-E8EF-48C0-A51F-FF4FBB6FAA8C.jpeg
    4AB616E2-E8EF-48C0-A51F-FF4FBB6FAA8C.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 108
  • A940A338-94BC-46EE-8477-1DB706B1468C.jpeg
    A940A338-94BC-46EE-8477-1DB706B1468C.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 69B19379-5C5C-496C-9F6F-8B769FF74181.jpeg
    69B19379-5C5C-496C-9F6F-8B769FF74181.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Informative
Reactions: Drew-MS
I feel the same with my 2022 plaid as well. I still have my 2013 P85 with air suspension and the ride between the 2 is night and day. My 2022 is the smoothest riding car I have ever owned. That said, I do prefer the stiffer ride vs the floaty feeling. I have the settings under advanced dialed all the way up so that it is the stiffest possible and this is the mode I drive in most of the time. Occasionally on longer trips I will set it to auto which has a very different feel. I cant really tell the difference between comfort and auto so it may come down to driving style between the 2, Im also running the 21s and properly inflated, I can feel the road difference between auto and advanced the way I have it set.

I feel the same with my 2022 plaid as well. I still have my 2013 P85 with air suspension and the ride between the 2 is night and day. My 2022 is the smoothest riding car I have ever owned. That said, I do prefer the stiffer ride vs the floaty feeling. I have the settings under advanced dialed all the way up so that it is the stiffest possible and this is the mode I drive in most of the time. Occasionally on longer trips I will set it to auto which has a very different feel. I cant really tell the difference between comfort and auto so it may come down to driving style between the 2, Im also running the 21s and properly inflated, I can feel the road difference between auto and advanced the way I have it set.
Could you share what your settings are on Comfort and Advanced?

Reactions: Wilber
I went through this thread after I accidentally came across it while searching for something. I have a 22 X plaid, which likely has the same air suspension like the S. I also have a 3P; the X's suspension is certainly way more smoother than the 3P while being stiffer/firmer -- in all settings. Yes, it is stiff and there is some "bounciness" like any properly tuned sports cars have, but the speed at which it can take corners is mind blowing. I am actually faster in the X plaid compared to my 3P on my favorite roads, even though the 3P is more fun and nimble due to it being much lighter. The handling is so confidence inspiring that I am able to enter a corner about 5-10 mph higher. Day to day, I sometimes even forget how good the X handles.

Also, I was on "sport" setting for a long time, but discovered that the "advanced" setting with the "comfort" and "firm" set all the way high, is pure bliss. In fact, the compression damping is 50+% higher in the advanced mode compared to sport, and i can feel it. The benefit is that the car is much more flatter and planted in all types of road conditions. I cannot believe how they were able to get a 5,500+ pound car handle this good. You can feel the trickery happening behind the scenes with the computer trying to maintain optimal traction/stability and you can actually feel it assisting you to rotate the car.

Also, the "bounciness" you are talking about, is apparent in this review. Look at 6:36 and you will know what I am talking about. I actually placed an order for the X plaid after watching that review. The reviewer even said the plaid X was even more planted than a Bentayga S. I would only imagine how well the S plaid or LR with a lower weight and lower CG, would handle :).

I used to have a 550i with an msport suspension and active roll stabilization, and I know how the suspension feels on those. Firm and jarring, but amazing in the corners. I would say the X has even better suspension than that car.

For those with the bouncing issue, is the effect in Comfort mode and essentially described as a lack of damping, where car rebounds multiple times over bumps?

I’ve directly compared 2018 100D with my 2021+, and the latter is actually much smoother over bumps at 50 mph. The 2021+ bounces far less and hunkers down after hitting the same bumps. Anyway, I cannot compare to Raven, but I think the ride is better than ever in my 3rd Tesla.
Yes, but this is the case in all settings.

I have a new 2021 Long-Range Model S. I find the suspension to be very "bouncy," and I do not find much difference between the available suspension options (Comfort, Auto, Sport, Advanced (and the settings within Advanced)). It gives me a headache at times, and my wife has noticed when she rides as a passenger. It is true that I was used to a fairly stiff suspension in my prior car, but I travel a lot and I drive rental cars of many makes and models; in comparison I find the Tesla suspension to be unusually "bouncy."

Do others have this experience, and does anyone have any tips of settings or adjustments I may not have tried to make the ride more comfortable?
I actually felt similar to you regarding the suspension in mine. I ended up purchasing the Unplugged Performance rear sway bar and it made a huge difference. After the install, the car felt more planted, very solid, less bouncy etc. Totally worth the few hundred dollars spent and the 2-3 hours it took to install.

Just picked up a late 2022 Plaid and love everything about it except the suspension. Unusually bouncy, no matter what mode I'm in. Brand new OEM spec all season tires on it. Tesla SC put them at 45 psi, I reduced to 40 hoping that would help. I can't really tell any differences between the Suspension modes. Just hate the bounciness. I'd rather feel the bump and have the car stay locked to the ground then deal with nauseating bounce. Now, after reading through this whole thread, I'm worried that I got a model with crap suspension that Tesla will say is within spec. Any tips on all the troubleshooting steps I should take first before scheduling a service appointment?

I did, yeah. But it was a 10 minute ride and I was chatting with the guy the whole time. Different experience now that I've gotten a few hours of driving it on my normal routes and everything.

I did, yeah. But it was a 10 minute ride and I was chatting with the guy the whole time. Different experience now that I've gotten a few hours of driving it on my normal routes and everything.

Bummer.

Personally I can’t imagine spending that type of $$$$$ without making dam* sure the car was exactly what I wanted. 🤷‍♂️

Is the car’s firmware fully up-to-date?

(requires a Tesla account and a WiFi connection, can’t really be “forced” - updates just happen OTA with little/no warning)

Just picked up a late 2022 Plaid and love everything about it except the suspension. Unusually bouncy, no matter what mode I'm in. Brand new OEM spec all season tires on it. Tesla SC put them at 45 psi, I reduced to 40 hoping that would help. I can't really tell any differences between the Suspension modes. Just hate the bounciness. I'd rather feel the bump and have the car stay locked to the ground then deal with nauseating bounce. Now, after reading through this whole thread, I'm worried that I got a model with crap suspension that Tesla will say is within spec. Any tips on all the troubleshooting steps I should take first before scheduling a service appointment?
Try customizing the suspension settings; they do make a difference. By bouncy I assume you mean the rebound, rather than just feeling bumps in road as with a firm sport suspension. You should be able to adjust how suspension reacts to make it more sport like.

Bummer.

Personally I can’t imagine spending that type of $$$$$ without making dam* sure the car was exactly what I wanted. 🤷‍♂️

Is the car’s firmware fully up-to-date?

(requires a Tesla account and a WiFi connection, can’t really be “forced” - updates just happen OTA with little/no warning)

Yeah, to be honest, I got this car for $10k less than anything comparable I’ve seen over the past 3 months, so my lack of pickiness was likely just realizing this was such a “good deal.” It’s a great car, and maybe it just needs to be checked out by Tesla to get the suspension reset or something. And yeah, software fully up to date. I might try another factory reset to see if that helps.

Try customizing the suspension settings; they do make a difference. By bouncy I assume you mean the rebound, rather than just feeling bumps in road as with a firm sport suspension. You should be able to adjust how suspension reacts to make it more sport like.

Yeah, that’s the weird thing…I’ve been playing around with the suspension settings a ton and they really don’t feel that different to me. Just a lot of rebound. I’d actually rather feel a harsh road than the up and down floaty-ness. Sport mode and Advanced turned all the way up seem to help a smidge, but the car definitely still seems to bouncy. Maybe it’s the tires? Brand new Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season (T0 Tesla, SoundComfort Tech XL). OEM spec/rated…but maybe the Tesla service center didn’t align them properly? I dunno. They had them installed at 45 psi, I dropped them to 40 hoping it would help.

Yeah, to be honest, I got this car for $10k less than anything comparable I’ve seen over the past 3 months, so my lack of pickiness was likely just realizing this was such a “good deal.” It’s a great car, and maybe it just needs to be checked out by Tesla to get the suspension reset or something. And yeah, software fully up to date. I might try another factory reset to see if that helps.

Yeah, that’s the weird thing…I’ve been playing around with the suspension settings a ton and they really don’t feel that different to me. Just a lot of rebound. I’d actually rather feel a harsh road than the up and down floaty-ness. Sport mode and Advanced turned all the way up seem to help a smidge, but the car definitely still seems to bouncy. Maybe it’s the tires? Brand new Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season (T0 Tesla, SoundComfort Tech XL). OEM spec/rated…but maybe the Tesla service center didn’t align them properly? I dunno. They had them installed at 45 psi, I dropped them to 40 hoping it would help.
I’d be surprised if there were anything actually wrong with your suspension…

What did you drive before the Plaid?

I’d be surprised if there were anything actually wrong with your suspension…

What did you drive before the Plaid?

Tbh, I don’t think there’s anything mechanically wrong either. I’m just getting the feeling that the software adjustments for the suspension aren’t working for some reason. I‘m coming from a 2022 Model Y with 20” Inductions, so I’m used to rougher suspension.

Tbh, I don’t think there’s anything mechanically wrong either. I’m just getting the feeling that the software adjustments for the suspension aren’t working for some reason. I‘m coming from a 2022 Model Y with 20” Inductions, so I’m used to rougher suspension.
Air suspensions rarely feel as well controlled as traditional suspensions, in my experience.