Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bouncy Suspension Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also run 38 PSI. Makes for a better compromise between ride and efficiency IMHO…
I refuse to drop it. I bought the Model S for its range. I’m not tossing it away so quickly. I’m running 42 psi. And with it on medium height it’s feeling pretty darn good. Tight but not harsh. But I need to drive a whole bunch more before I’m sure I’m really happy on all road surfaces. Also won’t fully commit until I get my ANC. BTW many ANC systems and the foam in tires are trying to reduced the thumps in suspension. Not the so much the constant drone of tire noise.

Took me a long time to convince myself I was not happy with Model 3 ride with 18” and 19” wheels, even though I loved how it handled. It was not worth the compromise. I Also tried lower pressure on Model 3, huge hit on range. I gave up and bought an X. I ran the X slightly above recommended psi and it was fine.

I’ll change tires before I drop psi ;)

PS lowering pressure on your tires lowers the load range of your tires. So you meet load range going above. But not below. Load Range you see listed on a tire is based on max pressure. Mfr down rates that to load range they want with some pressure under max. There are tables that tell you want load range you have at each psi.

People keep looking at the weight of the car and load rating at max pressure and then putting in less air and completely mess what the mfr intended.

Last edited:
The input above is great. I have a 2022 Model S refresh, with 19" stock summer Tires. Car is perfect except Ride is rough on anything but perfect roads. Really see no discernable difference on the suspension settings.
Granted I'm coming off a 2019 750i BMW with 20' sport wheels - ride was perfect.
I feel that its a suspension calibration issue. So - my pressure is at 42/43 - you guys saying to lower it to 38/39?

I'm taking the car in next month for a small trim item -I'll let them know about the suspension -but I have to guess - its 'fixed' on sport mode.

Reactions: Jabbahop
The input above is great. I have a 2022 Model S refresh, with 19" stock summer Tires. Car is perfect except Ride is rough on anything but perfect roads. Really see no discernable difference on the suspension settings.
Granted I'm coming off a 2019 750i BMW with 20' sport wheels - ride was perfect.
I feel that its a suspension calibration issue. So - my pressure is at 42/43 - you guys saying to lower it to 38/39?

I'm taking the car in next month for a small trim item -I'll let them know about the suspension -but I have to guess - its 'fixed' on sport mode.
What height are you riding at?

One thing I wonder is that it’s like the ANR and the suspension calibrates after driving a bit. I know that sounds crazy. But I swear sometimes that it initially feels bouncy and then after a little bit I don’t notice it any more. Not sure if tires are warming up (which in creases pressure) or what. Maybe my butt is calibrating.

I’ve found suspension pretty good, so much so I switched everything from max comfort and medium height to everything auto, including auto low. But it’s definitely firmer than my Raven X was. But not uncomfortably firmer. But right on the hairy edge. The better handling makes up for it though.

I also find it’s the sum of the parts. I used to run a sun shade in the Model 3, for helping with cabin noise. I just added one to the S. I now have ANR going and I had taken the privacy cover out of the trunk for extra space and just put that back (that helps block and absorb noise). Cabin noise is really shaping up.

I think MaxSpider mats (due in a few days) will help too. I might try to put them on top of factory mats. I’ve done that before. More sound deadening.

The quieter the cabin, the less you notice the suspension. It’s kind of like how smell and taste go together. feeling vibration and hearing vibration also go together. Cut the noise and it will feel better. A quiet cabin feels more luxurious.

I’ve found suspension pretty good, so much so I switched everything from max comfort and medium height to everything auto, including auto low. But it’s definitely firmer than my Raven X was. But not uncomfortably firmer. But right on the hairy edge. The better handling makes up for it though.

I also find it’s the sum of the parts. I used to run a sun shade in the Model 3, for helping with cabin noise. I just added one to the S. I now have ANR going and I had taken the privacy cover out of the trunk for extra space and just put that back (that helps block and absorb noise). Cabin noise is really shaping up.

I think MaxSpider mats (due in a few days) will help too. I might try to put them on top of factory mats. I’ve done that before. More sound deadening.

The quieter the cabin, the less you notice the suspension. It’s kind of like how smell and taste go together. feeling vibration and hearing vibration also go together. Cut the noise and it will feel better. A quiet cabin feels more luxurious.
Great input. I totally forgot how much I worked it, to quiet my 2018 MX. Updating those methods to the Plaid will give me true apples to apples. MaxSpider mats on top were one thing I did too that was a successful layer. Switching out tires for Pirelli's were another that quieted down loud thumps in the road and offered much better performance than the stock Conti's. Sunshade was another that helped absorb noise. Which then reminds me of the tint I put on which was yet another successful layer which I'll have to complete on the Plaid. All these steps help.

I took my 2022 LR to the dealer and had their tech ride with me. He was able to demonstrate that while in comfort mode, the car did ride differently, thought not at all to what I expect "comfort to mean. The only difference is that the car does the "bounce" when in comfort mode and not while in sport. That's it. So it turns out that we really do not have a comfort mode but rather, sport and bounce. SMH.

I would really like to know what your “suspension info“ numbers are. I’m trying to derive a metric that exposes a non-functioning adaptive suspension. Would you please go to the end of the “Show of Hands“ thread and find my post describing the data to record? My theory is that there is a pattern to the “damping percentage“ numbers that will identify defective vehicles. Thanks!

I would really like to know what your “suspension info“ numbers are. I’m trying to derive a metric that exposes a non-functioning adaptive suspension. Would you please go to the end of the “Show of Hands“ thread and find my post describing the data to record? My theory is that there is a pattern to the “damping percentage“ numbers that will identify defective vehicles. Thanks!
Done

I definitely notice a big difference in sport and comfort mode. And I can sometimes see what the “bouncy” feel people are talking about. But overall coming from every previous Tesla model that has existed, this is the most comfortable Tesla so far.

I definitely notice a big difference in sport and comfort mode. And I can sometimes see what the “bouncy” feel people are talking about. But overall coming from every previous Tesla model that has existed, this is the most comfortable Tesla so far.
Please, go to the “Show of Hands“ discussion.. go to near the end of sub-thread 9 and read my post about recording your suspension info numbers. I am really anxious to hear what they are. Thanks! BTW…. It’s super easy and quick to get the numbers.… takes about 1 minute. Do it next time you get into your car, before you start driving.

I came from a 2015 MS and that was WAY more comfortable to drive so not so how ' this is the most comfortable Tesla so far' can be accurate. Actually, every car I have owned in my life is more comfortable than this 2021 MS LR. (Audi A6, Acura TL, and Honda Accord to name a few).