TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

'bout time I put a thread here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Msjulie, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

I'm the happy owner (2nd I believe) of a 2008 1.5 Roadster and really like it but... some history.

My dad was an engineer in the merchant marines so I got plenty of 2nd hand and impromptu teaching about cars and engines and more or less keeping them running when I was a kid. Brakes, hydraulic systems, carburetor rebuilding :) (late 70 cars) and general stuff like that.. oil changes, bleeding brakes, swapping out rotors, calipers, shocks, even a clutch or 2. Ancient tech: distributors, points, timing lights when we had an old 69 bug to try to get going again ... But..

Then comes my battery powered toy and there's so much I don't recognize in either end of the car (or rather I know it's a black box doing stuff). I have a basic understanding of how it all works but what I want is either some good books or videos or local classes to feel more comfortable with the tech in my car. I don't plan on taking the thing apart or anything (yet anyway) but I want to know this car more like I do the gas cars we have and not to be such an outsider to it's tech.

Suggestions from the experts?

Thanks!