Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bowlus Road Chief Cross Country Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tin Poodle: The road less traveled

minion orlando.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff
Thanks for your latest blog post. Looks like a great trip in Eastern Canada. What kind of Wh/mi numbers are you getting lately when towing?

Not really keeping as close track now that we have more experience towing the trailer. I know my range is 150-185 miles depending on weather and elevation. We usually keep each leg between charges <140 miles.

Generally I go whatever speed keeps my wH/mile between 475-500. Pretty much ignore the speedometer. That usually translates to 52-54 mph if weather and elevation aren't an issue.

I'll go faster on short legs where range isn't an issue. At 62mph it's around 600 wH/mile. Or about 130-135 mile range.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and KJD
Generally I go whatever speed keeps my wH/mile between 475-500. Pretty much ignore the speedometer. That usually translates to 52-54 mph if weather and elevation aren't an issue. I'll go faster on short legs where range isn't an issue. At 62mph it's around 600 wH/mile. Or about 130-135 mile range.
Thanks for the data. On level dry roads with no headwind my Wh/mi numbers when towing are the same as yours. The numbers are quite speed-sensitive, all other factors being equal.

• Informative
Reactions: idoco
The numbers are quite speed-sensitive, all other factors being equal.
Yeah. Here is the EVTO formula just for the air resistance piece:

air_kwh = distance * air_density * (speed**2) * drag_area * constant

So doubling the speed has a quadruple factor since it's squared (ie 1.5 > 2.25).

Drag area you are stuck with but is trailer dependent.

Interesting also is that you get penalized at lower elevations. The good news is that rather than an ICE car, which degrades at higher elevations due to oxygen starvation, your EV works just as well. And the air_denisty is also affected by temperature too so cold adds to inefficiency too. Stay away from Death Valley in the Winter. :)

• Informative
Reactions: ToddS and idoco
I am following your adventures, and reading them to my girlfriend and showing her the pictures, but she is still not convinced that my MX 100D is ready for road trips- for her, the charging is too inconvenient. Looking for retirement next year and I am looking for adventures!

I am following your adventures, and reading them to my girlfriend and showing her the pictures, but she is still not convinced that my MX 100D is ready for road trips- for her, the charging is too inconvenient. Looking for retirement next year and I am looking for adventures!

Oh to have a 100D and 20% more range!

As for the GF...it depends on your travel pace. With the trailer we try to keep it under 200 miles a day. In mainland North America with the super charger network we've done upto 500 miles in a day with the trailer.

Geeze. That is a strain on me without a trailer and a 90D.:eek:

To be fair it was only 458 miles. And I definitely don't recommend it. It was a long day! We were trying to beat bad weather moving in.

What made it possible was that we were in a supercharger dense region. So I could stay in the 20-80% SOC range which made for frequent, but relatively quick charging stops. Also the SC density allowed me travel at a faster speed. Finally we had a tailwind.

Reactions: aesculus
Finally we had a tailwind.
With a trailer that is the best scenario, the worst being a headwind of course.

I take a one way 500 mile trip each winter with dense chargers too until the last leg. The SC "sipping" is definitely ideal.

The last leg I charge to 90% and it usually has a tailwind, can be -10C and is downhill so I get to my destination with about 20% SoC remaining.

On the return it seems everything conspires against me. It has a 2000 foot delta of climbing, cold again, generally a headwind of more than 20 mph and only a RV park for backup (never used). Plus I charge to 100% just before I leave so the battery is warm, turn on range mode and turn the cabin control down to about 50 and use the seat heaters.

I often find a semi that I sit close behind for the first 120 miles or so until I get over the pass. As soon as the car shows 10% arrival SoC estimate on the navi I just drive to maintain that. At about 30 miles out I can get back to speed.

With a trailer I would not even know where to begin and you cannot draft safely while towing.

• Informative