Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boy Am I Pissed Now.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now have HW3 in the 2019 S75D. The only thing I noticed was the "cones" on the way home to be different. With a little call to Tesla the car was completed the next day instead of today as I was informed. The loaner was a loaner, appreciated, but an old one and a big difference between the early models and my 2019. If it wasn't for this forum, I would never known about the upgrade or that it was a three hour process. I was the 4th install at Dallas.

Reactions: aaron0k
Scheduled two weeks ago for 2019 upgrade to HW3. Take the car in this morning to Dallas Service Center and told that they are out of loaners. Service backed up. I say I'll wait. Get a text from Tesla, offered $100 in Uber dollars, since no loaners. After 30 minutes, they have a loaner. I drive home. Service Center says it will keep me informed. At 2PM, nothing.
I text back and ask when the car will be ready. Later, I get text. car will be done Thursday due to backup in Service Center. UNACCEPTABLE. This is the second time I have had problems with Dallas Service Center. WTF?

I just had a MUCH worse service experience than you, unfortunately :(

I'll post the details later but they've made getting service for the car absolutely miserable. Tesla can be a trillion dollar company but not if they don't fix the miserably broken service where they've replaced humans who could help customers with an app and text messages that could not care less.

I’m surprised that people are actually getting AP3 hardware by just asking for it, I asked for it while my car was in for a winter wheel swap and yearly service, they said that Tesla only sends them new AP3 computers when they determine a VIN is selected to be upgraded. They get bulletins from the mothership, but have only gotten 2 for Xes, and one for an S so far.

I’m surprised that people are actually getting AP3 hardware by just asking for it, I asked for it while my car was in for a winter wheel swap and yearly service, they said that Tesla only sends them new AP3 computers when they determine a VIN is selected to be upgraded. They get bulletins from the mothership, but have only gotten 2 for Xes, and one for an S so far.

I think it is determined by Tesla based on VIN or some other criteria. You might want to try scheduling an appointment via your App just for the HW3 computer, assuming you bought FSD and see what happens.

I'm in the midst of the worst car service experience of my life. This is the fifth day they've had my car for a few service items that should not take more than 5 hours. Twice they promised the car by a certain date and time and each time not only did they not complete the service by the date and time promised, they didn't even let me know in advance the car will not be ready.

Now I'm on day five and still no word on the status or when the car will be available. The app says the car will be ready two day ago!!!

Tesla service is utterly broken. It's as if they could not care less :(

I've revised this to be more current and accurate...

Creating the World’s Best Non-Service Program
Elun Mush, Product Architect & CEO, November 11, 2019
  • Uber dudes as loaners.
  • We will seamlessly ignore you.
Making Service Better by Making it Hard

The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, we will make it very difficult for you to schedule an appointment and make you wait weeks or months. Then, if you do show up, we'll make you wait and hold your car for weeks until parts arrive. In the meantime, we'll send you home in a Uber and text you... when we feel like it.

For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home an Enterprise rental car. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a Toytota Camry, the smell of unleaded as you fill the gas tank before you coast along the ocean or through a forest on a winter day and hearing only the sounds of AM Talk Radio.

Valet Service... psyche!

Our time is valuable and should not be spent talking to you in person. Tesla is putting in place a our HAC (Human Avoidance Culture), so that you will never have any opportunity to talk to a human Tesla representative. If you call us, we won't answer and our voicemail will be full. Don't like it? Leave us a voicemail...​

Wow, where did you get that? What you describe is exactly what they are doing at service.

Basically you wait for weeks to get an appointment and then you drop off the car and then nothing.

No way to reach them, no replies to text messages, no eta, no nothing.

They don't answer the phone so the only option is to call the sales line and then beg and plead with someone to help as they tell you how the "have nothing to do with service."

You basically have no idea when they will work on your car or get your car back.

After a certain number of days you will one day get a message saying the car is ready for pick up. Then you rearrange your schedule with no advance notice to pick up the car.

Last edited:
Wow, where did you get that? What you describe is exactly what they are doing at service.

Basically you wait for weeks to get an appointment and then you drop off the car and then nothing.

No way to reach them, no replies to text messages, no eta, no nothing.

You basically have no idea when they will work on your car or get your car back.

After a certain number of days you will one day get a message saying the car is ready for pick up.
Not for everyone........

Not for everyone........

Must be nice.

Last time I dropped off my car, they never updated me on when my car will be ready or reply to any of my text messages asking for an update. They didn't even update the App. The whole service experience just seems to be utterly broken and it is mostly due to nonexistence communication.

A human being who cares and is empowered to help customers who bring their cars in for service at each service center would make such a big difference. Most of these issues will not become such big issues if they communicate and customers are able to communicate with the service center.

Must be nice.

Last time I dropped off my car, they never updated me on when my car will be ready or reply to any of my text messages asking for an update. They didn't even update the App. The whole service experience just seems to be utterly broken and it is mostly due to nonexistence communication.

A human being who cares and is empowered to help customers who bring their cars in for service at each service center would make such a big difference. Most of these issues will not become such big issues if they communicate and customers are able to communicate with the service center.
See above comment.......

Crappy customer service is for...someone?

A few lucky individuals experience decent customer service, but not everyone.

Of course we only hear mostly about the bad experiences on an internet forum. Do you think people that have good experiences join TMC to say how happy they are? Not as likely as someone who has a bad experience. I'm one of the lucky ones and I joined TMC before having to deal with my SC.

And it's more than a few lucky individuals who have a positive experience.

Of course we only hear mostly about the bad experiences on an internet forum. Do you think people that have good experiences join TMC to say how happy they are? Not as likely as someone who has a bad experience. I'm one of the lucky ones and I joined TMC before having to deal with my SC.

And it's more than a few lucky individuals who have a positive experience.

Based on what I experienced, service is fine at certain service centers and horrible at other locations,

I guess it depends on who manages the service center. You have someone in charge who cares very little about customers and you end up with customers being treated poorly.

The problem with them having a monopoly for service is it really gives them no incentive to provide reasonable service. Almost feels like dealing with a government agency based on how apathetic service can be.

They can fix most of the issues with better communication and customers being able to reach someone at the service center.

I have always said this company would have a difficult time with the general public as their cars became more accessible. Tesla runs lean like a silicon valley tech company who is more concerned about valuation and staying profitable (hint: thats what they are). Folks like the OP are rare-er on these forums, I'm sure there are a lot more stories like his, who don't register and engage with us.

In the end, he's both right, and wrong. He made an appointment, was given an expectation, and none of it was really solid. In the Tesla service world, you're just as lucky to have your car worked on if you park it in their parking lot and return in a week than actually scheduling with a "person" to "fix" the problem you're having. (YMMV if you live in a non-busy area, my personal experience is with LA, OC, and SD service centers which are hopelessly behind on planned work).

OP needs to chill, but Tesla needs to figure it out... which is basically the sum of every single one of these threads that come up.