Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bozeman, MT Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did just drive by our SC site and a guy from Chicago was there. He said tomorrow the final "TUV" step will be done in Big Timber between 9 am and noon. Then Bozeman will get tested and checked out and should be ready to go by 5 pm tomorrow. He said Northwest energy has Missoula waiting for a Tranformer. He said construction in Butte will begin next week as will, Dare I say, Superior, MT. Looks like Montana will be up and running before 2015 as planned.

Does the "guy from Chicago" work for Tesla?

Does the "guy from Chicago" work for Tesla?

Sorry,No he is not from Tesla, he is from an engineering firm in Chicago. It is his job to ready the system for the Tesla testing Team to trailer in a Model S to test all the individual charging stations. They car test each one for voltage, etc. He is there to address anything they may encounter during final testing, was my understanding. He invited me to see what all they do tomorrow between 3-4 pm, however I will need to be at my office at that time. crossing my fingers. (threatening to set up the lawn chair seems to have worked!) :wink:

Sorry,No he is not from Tesla, he is from an engineering firm in Chicago. It is his job to ready the system for the Tesla testing Team to trailer in a Model S to test all the individual charging stations. They car test each one for voltage, etc. He is there to address anything they may encounter during final testing, was my understanding. He invited me to see what all they do tomorrow between 3-4 pm, however I will need to be at my office at that time. crossing my fingers. (threatening to set up the lawn chair seems to have worked!) :wink:

I'm tempted to make a Bozeman run after my morning clinic to check out the festivities!

I'm tempted to make a Bozeman run after my morning clinic to check out the festivities!

I'm still crossing my fingers, nothing is for sure. You all have heard me say before, "The easiest way to become wrong is to try to predict the future". My sons have a choir concert tonight right after work, but after the concert I will check out the Supercharger and give you all the facts as I see them. Hopefully I will have good news. Btw, our Tesla trip to the Tetons worked out great, so getting to Bozeman and using the Supercharger can be the ticket to Driggs and then onto Jackson Hole. ( it's not official yet, but last week I heard that Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park will be getting some electric charging stations, however whether level1 or level2 was not revealed during the comment.)

Grand Tetons  Oct 2014-3690 (2).jpg

Teton Tesla Image - (October 18, 2014 copyright)

Last edited:
> to ready the system for the Tesla testing Team to trailer in a Model S to test all the individual charging stations. [DrGuest]

Mmm, Tesla Team using a real test mule, accepting no substitutes, simulations or metrications.
--

Btw, our Tesla trip to the Tetons worked out great, so getting to Bozeman and using the Supercharger can be the ticket to Driggs and then onto Jackson Hole. ( it's not official yet, but last week I heard that Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park will be getting some electric charging stations, however whether level1 or level2 was not revealed during the comment.)

Dr Guest, love to hear about the trip. Did you log your miles, charge locations, and charge? Could you share?

My aunt and uncle live in Hoback and keep bumping into range anxiety heading up to the park. Your experience should be illuminated.

Dr Guest, love to hear about the trip. Did you log your miles, charge locations, and charge? Could you share?

My aunt and uncle live in Hoback and keep bumping into range anxiety heading up to the park. Your experience should be illuminated.
Untitled33.jpg

• Tesla Trip Bozeman to Jackson Hole October 17-19, 2014
    • Bozeman, Montana Friday, October 17, 2014 Start Time 9:05 am Odometer: 12442 261 RM
      • West Yellowstone Time 11:06 Odometer 12535 RM=108 Actual Miles= 94 Ave. Energy= 330Wh/Mi
        • Driggs, ID RM= 113 Actual Miles= 105 Ave. Energy= 277Wh/Mi. Air Temp= Odometer= 12641 Total miles from BZN to Driggs Is 199 miles Total of 221 RM Grand Teton Distillery=80 amp Tesla HPWC Charged overnight, 1/4 walk to Super8 Motel, Driggs
          • Jackson Hole, WY Drove 162 RM Sightseeing. The Tetons
    • Driggs, ID Saturday -Charged Overnight @ Grand Teton Distillery Tesla 80 amp HPWC 1/4 mile from Super8 Motel. Driggs Sunday Morning Start with 256 RM Odometer 12794 30 F outside 68 F inside
    • Earthquake Lake
      • Home Sunday October 19 2014 4:18pm Odometer=12994 End with 55 RM 201 RM used from Driggs, ID Actual miles= 200 miles Trip Totals Total Distance= 552 miles Total Energy=164.1 KWh Total Average Energy= 287wh/mi.
      • oops! The Total Trip Total in the Graphic is wrong, It's 552 miles not 571.6

Attachments

• photo (30).JPG
    photo (30).JPG
    608.4 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Was not aware of that, but it's got me thinking. Maybe this weekend...

Will you christen both new chargers, or do I have a shot at Big Timber? :)

I christened Bozeman Tonight, However if you want to Christen Big Timber,

après vous! I'm sure I will cruise the Frontage Road as much as possible on the way to Big Timber and back sometime on Sunday.
If you have time to come to Bozeman, Let me know and we could take some quick road rally trips up Hyalite Canyon, or up

Bridger Canyon to Jackson Creek. If not this time maybe, some other time. Enjoy the new possibilities! My cell is 406-570-3770 if you want to get in touch with me. ttyl. :)

I christened Bozeman Tonight, However if you want to Christen Big Timber,

après vous! I'm sure I will cruise the Frontage Road as much as possible on the way to Big Timber and back sometime on Sunday.
If you have time to come to Bozeman, Let me know and we could take some quick road rally trips up Hyalite Canyon, or up

Bridger Canyon to Jackson Creek. If not this time maybe, some other time. Enjoy the new possibilities! My cell is 406-570-3770 if you want to get in touch with me. ttyl. :)

That's an awesome flow chart of your trip--very cool! I'm tentatively going to drive up on Saturday to hit Big Timber and probably Chico. As you know, I've been lobbying them for a Destination charger of some sort, so I've offered a primer to my contacts there. I'll probably stay with friends in Bozeman--I'd love to get together and get some insider guidance on the local roads. I'll text you when I have a better timeline.

Bighorn, I just met new members of our Tesla Community from Kalispel, MT. They have a son in Bozeman and we just met at the Bozeman Supercharger. They will beat us both to Big Timber, as they are heading that way right now. So our newest friends get to Tag this one. You got Billings, I got Bozeman and the Meyers get Big Timber. They just got their car in Late September and are on their way to Texas. Gutsy new pioneers not afraid of the unknown. If you have any tips for them to get to Lusk, Wy, let me know and I'll pass them on. I know Colon Davis the Manager of Chico, Let me know if a well timed phone call from me could help. Drop my name with him if you want or need to. I could really see coming out of Yellowstone, staying at Chico and Charging to get back home. Let him know how great this scenario would be for all of us, even our new friends, the Meyer's from Kalispel would benefit from Chico having a Charger. Have a great weekend! ttyl. :)
photo (31).JPG
The Newest Montanans with Tesla Model S. The Meyer on the Right, Me on the left.

- - - Updated - - -

That's an awesome flow chart of your trip--very cool! I'm tentatively going to drive up on Saturday to hit Big Timber and probably Chico. As you know, I've been lobbying them for a Destination charger of some sort, so I've offered a primer to my contacts there. I'll probably stay with friends in Bozeman--I'd love to get together and get some insider guidance on the local roads. I'll text you when I have a better timeline.

Bighorn, I just met new members of our Tesla Community from Kalispel, MT. They have a son in Bozeman and we just met at the Bozeman Supercharger. They will beat us both to Big Timber, as they are heading that way right now. So our newest friends get to Tag this one. You got Billings, I got Bozeman and the Meyers get Big Timber. They just got their car in Late September and are on their way to Texas. Gutsy new pioneers not afraid of the unknown. If you have any tips for them to get to Lusk, Wy, let me know and I'll pass them on. I know Colon Davis the Manager of Chico, Let me know if a well timed phone call from me could help. Drop my name with him if you want or need to. I could really see coming out of Yellowstone, staying at Chico and Charging to get back home. Let him know how great this scenario would be for all of us, even our new friends, the Meyer's from Kalispel would benefit from Chico having a Charger. Have a great weekend! ttyl. :) View attachment 62041 The Newest Montanans with Tesla Model S. The Meyer on the Right, Me on the left.

- - - Updated - - -

That's great to hear--happy to spread the wealth. Just heard back from Chico and Colin is looking forward to his Tesla orientation tomorrow. I had let them know that we had some other Tesla blood in Bozeman, but I'll happily drop your name when I see him.

There are a couple 70A chargers in Casper for navigating to Lusk. The KOA in Sheridan is our best option until the supercharger gets built. I rolled through the tentative site yesterday and no signs of any Tesla gear.

+1!!

Thanks for sharing!