TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

BP buying Chargemaster

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by WannabeOwner, Jun 28, 2018.

1. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

and Electrek.co

When a 300-350 [real-world] mile range battery arrives I won't need to road charge from one year to the next. I think the market for road-trip charging is wildly over-estimated. Sure, the fleet, by then, will be 100x as big as now, but the need for road-trip charging will fall as battery prices fall, so the requirement will remain pretty static as the fleet grows. People with no off-road parking/charging will need to charge (although here in UK we are integrating charger into lamp-posts ... so maybe not even them)

and FWIW every time I have used POLAR chargers in the UK its been a dreadful experience, not that the others (except) Tesla are much better. Polar connection initialisation is so slow the APP took nearly 5 minutes showing me a spinning circle and percent-by-percent count down for the connection to initiate, disconnect not much faster ... I'd get 20% charge at Supercharger in the time I spent faffing about ... had to phone to get a charge started on more than one occasion; looking at Plugshare the number of sites with at least one report of "charge failure" in the last month is high.

Not sure its a bright move, nor the right company to have decided to buy ...

2. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

My experience of Polar is much the same as yours, just yesterday I had to spend 10 minutes on the phone trying to get one of their rapid's working.

Still, I suspect this is much more to do with BP positioning themselves for the coming shift to electric. Sure, Chargemaster might not be the best bet for getting your car charged, but they have a lot of infrastructure, so it's easier for BP to buy them than build out their own or let someone else buy them first.

• Like x 1
  3. WannabeOwner

Yes, all good points :) I've got off my soap-box now ...

4. arg

arg Supporting Member

It was probably the only one for sale (certainly the one that’s been clearly groomed for sale for a long time).

• Like x 1
  5. WannabeOwner

BP loft insulation
    cavity fill
    double glazing
    solar panels
    BP car chargers ... that's where we need to be chaps :)

• Funny x 1
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

So now I know that Robert Llewellyn saying that a large company like BP would easily be able to introduce convenience features like tap-to-pay was a veiled reference to their current system being *sugar*.

7. WannabeOwner

:)

I think there is government requirement, coming, which will mean that existing chargers are changed from "Vendor APP/RFID monopoly thingie" to allow adhoc payments.

• Like x 1
  8. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

Chargemaster's Comms Director confirmed this the other day actually. Any new chargers installed since December 2017 had to support contactless payment and all existing ones are required to by December this year.

• Like x 1
  9. arg

arg Supporting Member

That's not quite right. The regulations say that public chargepoints have to support "Ad-hoc" access, but that's not the same as requiring contactless.

So an app which you can download on the spot meets the requirement of the regulation, much as we might think that contactless would be better.

Chargemaster's approach appears to be to use their PolarInstant app to meet the regulatory requirement, and only to provide contactless where it is required by the terms of a contract (eg. in Nottingham and the TfL-supported locations in London).

A cynic might suggest that they deliberately make the app crap so as to discourage ad-hoc access and drive subscription revenue....

• Like x 2
  10. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

To be fair, their Polar Plus app is crap too, crashes every time I use it for more than a few mins. Granted it doesn't matter because you don't need that app to use the chargers but I think it confirms that they just can't make apps.

The two aren't mutually exclusive though, they could be useless at making apps AND purposely not making them better to stifle competition...

11. WannabeOwner

I've only used one CYC charger (so small sample-size). Their APP showed it 1 mile away from its actual location

12. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

It's the one thing that Tesla do so much better than everyone else - the charging experience. It will be interesting once Porsche launch their car to see if public charging starts to get better; I can't imagine too many owners would be willing to put up with the current state of play.

• Like x 2
  13. WannabeOwner

"Plug in, walk away, check-app, when ready return to car, unplug, drive away" - "Suits you Sir!"

Definitely never had anything remotely approaching that at public chargers ...

... whether the CCS 150kW+ charger rollout will achieve that remains to be seen. But important that they do ...

Although (apologies for repeating myself) I wonder if the whole charger network thing is overblown and overkill. Give me a 130kWh battery (actually 400 miles, might soon be less than 130kWh) and I won't need a road-trip-charge from one year to the next. Battery price falling, and energy density increasing, so I reckon its just around the corner, and affordable, rather than luxury, in a year or two. Not to mention the improvements in efficiency ... Model-3 is 270 wH/mile as against 330 for Model-S, that's a 20% range-gain ... and faster charging (in terms of miles-per-hour) so in tight situations where only home for a "short time" Model-3 will put on 20% more miles than a Model-S, and possibly avoid a road-trip-charge as a consequence.

"The future is bright, the future is orange electric" :)

14. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

I don't think there will be anywhere near enough electric Porsches on the road in the next few years for their presence to make any significant difference to the public charging experience!

15. WannabeOwner

Zero?

Discuss :)

16. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

Given the interest in Jaguar's I-Pace, I think the Porsche will peek quite a few people's interest. It's another meaningful contender in the EV space but more than that, it's a Porsche and should be more sporty than the Model S.

I'm hopeful that more up-market EV's from Jaguar, Porsche and eventually Mercedes should start causing the charging networks to put more effort in since there will be demand from people willing to spend extra to get better, and most importantly, have no dedicated network of their own.

17. WannabeOwner

OK, I was being flippant, the thing I should have asked, in addition, is the "When" will Porsche be available?

I may have missed some news, but I seem to have only seen Prototypes. Are journalists getting "rides" yet?

18. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

It's not quite that far yet, no. It's got a real name now though and is supposed to be arriving next year... Porsche’s Mission E all-electric vehicle becomes the ‘Taycan’

Importantly, Porsche have two working 800v chargers, albeit both are in their HQ.

I'm sounding like a Porsche fan boy here, but in all honesty I have little to no interest in them as a brand... I'm am excited that more companies are entering the EV side though, especially when they're trying something different.

• Like x 1
  19. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Noise on the Porsche forum is talking about first deliveries of the Taycan late 2019 and in very limited numbers. It will have zero effect on the public charging network, as will the iPace in the production volumes they are talking about. It's not premium EVs that will drive the commercials for public charging, it's the more mundane volume market, which has been very slow to take off. Until there are large numbers of long range electric Fords, VWs etc it's a niche market. Probably the biggest commercial driver for charging infrastructure at the moment is hybrids, but they don't depend on it so much.

• Like x 1