TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

BP Installing ABB's DC rapid chargers in filling stations across the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Europe' started by dpeilow, Nov 25, 2011.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

ABB installs electric vehicle fast chargers at BP service stations

Of course some of us have already used them :wink:

[​IMG]

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

This is one of the reasons why I want CHAdeMO on the Model S next to 3-phase charging.

There are so many CHAdeMO chargers being rolled out lately!

3. Dennisf

Dennisf Member

This BP station is exactly halfway my home and office. Do I understand correct from Widoh that I cannot use this charging station for the Model S???

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Unless Tesla provides an adapter...

5. Dennisf

Dennisf Member

Let's hope they will or other else I can always start an aftermarket company to produce them :)

6. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

that should be possible, because the identificationsignal is apparently the same in chademo and tesla-charger! (if i understoud correctly)

7. GVTesla

GVTesla Member

I've been at this charging station. It is already some time around and offers 550V-120A. Sweet... if I there was an adapter for my roadster.

8. GSP

GSP Member

This is unlikely, since Tesla's propritary connector for the Model S dies not appear to have the pins needed for the CAN communication link that ChadeMo uses.

I would bet that Tesla is using the new SAE J1772 PLC communication, which does not need dedicated pins for communication. The new PLC communication protocol is specified in the latest version of SAE's J1772 recommended practice, which also supports DC fast charging with a humongous combination connector.

GSP

9. Bram

Bram Member

@GSP

do you have this version you refer to? (SAE J1772)

I think its's more likely for Tesla to equip de Model S with a 3-phase charger than DC fast-charging. The effects of DC charging at the battery could be very negative, but there are no decent studies to the effects...