Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BP Pulse Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The need is somewhat diminished with Evie Sutton Forest now open, and BP Marulan (both sides) coming along nicely.

Other than of course the induced demand by the Freebie factor, which is one of NRMAs own making.
I swung past BP Marulan over the weekend (Friday northbound, Sunday southbound). There was literally no change since I was there a week prior, when I last added photos onto PlugShare.

Reactions: moa999
what an absolute waste of money using CHAdeMO is. There must be like what a few hundred cars that use it?
Leaf owners would disagree ... I bought, and still have, a CHAdeMO adapter for my Model X which i used a few times before the CCS2 adapter was available.
Anyway BOT ... I drove past the BP at Campbelltown/Woodbine NSW and saw some fences up, Do you think there's one going here?

IMG_3230.jpeg

IMG_3229.jpeg

what an absolute waste of money using CHAdeMO is. There must be like what a few hundred cars that use it?
I’m a bit torn over the CHADEMO standard. In 2011 it was the only DC quick charging standard available as the IEA had yet to formalise what would become the CCS standard. Even Tesla did not announce the Supercharger network until 2012.
But it’s time to move on as the Tesla proprietary plug doesn’t support 3 phase, neither does J1772 that forms the basis of CCS1 and it would be a waste to lose that advantage just because the USA/Japan choose to not use it.
So I fully support a Type 2-AC and CCS2 DC charging standard for Australia and for new cars it should be mandated.
However the government requirement for CHADEMO support for any supported charging installations is good policy as not everyone can afford a Tesla or other expensive CCS2 based EV and Australia can benefit from second hand Japanese imports to assist lower income people to move to and enjoy the benefits of an EV.

But it’s time to move on as the Tesla proprietary plug doesn’t support 3 phase, neither does J1772 that forms the basis of CCS1
Note that Tesla is doubling down on the TPC in the US.

1. It's no longer the TPC, now the NACS - and is seemingly a plug format only that can run communication via Tesla's standard or CCS.
2. It's no longer proprietary.

Assume it's mostly an attempt to get Federal funds for future superchargers.
But will be interesting whether anyone other than Aptera jumps to use the charger.

I can imagine a Rivian with both CCS1 and a NACS port suddenly becomes a lot more capable.

So looks like the US may have to deal with CCS1, NACS and a small number of CHAdeMO

Last edited:

So looks like the US may have to deal with CCS1, NACS and a small number of CHAdeMO

I read about this in Electrek last night. The prevailing mood in the comments is “too late”. It would take one or two of the majors to adopt “NACS” for its cars in North America for the herd to move that way and eventually kill off CCS1 there. I can’t see it happening given the CCS1 infrastructure investment to date. So North America will be stuck with Tesla’s connector, CCS1, dwindling CHAdeMO and adaptors for a long time to come.

We should be very thankful how it has played out here.

1. It's no longer the TPC, now the NACS - and is seemingly a plug format only that can run communication via Tesla's standard or CCS.
2. It's no longer proprietary.

Assume it's mostly an attempt to get Federal funds for future superchargers.
But will be interesting whether anyone other than Aptera jumps to use the charger.

I can imagine a Rivian with both CCS1 and a NACS port suddenly becomes a lot more capable.

I could never understand why the 'new' EV companies like Rivian and Lucid never made a deal with Tesla for supercharger access and the Tesla connector in North America (and a matching chargeport location).

Yeah saw that too…
If it takes them so much set up to open up one station we will have 3 in total by end of next year
Also signs saying petrol station closed all day, huh?
Drove past after lunch, tent was gone and a Tesla was charging with no one in sight
It now shows up on app so hopefully it’s free for a while

Global CEO Bernard Looney flew in for the opening of a new bp pulse fast charger at bp Brayside