TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brackets to install Aftermarket Speakers in Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by davitsio, May 6, 2019.

1. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

I'd love to buy a Model 3 enclosure for the trunk that houses a 12". I love the sound in my car but could definitely use a bit more low end coming from the trunk.

2. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

I think there's *just* enough room to accommodate woofers like the Focal's, but you're right: it's going to be very challenging / tight.

As far as the amp causing errors, I have yet to have this happen to me, despite the fact that I'm using an identical setup to some of those that are having the problem. Very perplexing.

• Like x 1
  3. dfwatt

dfwatt Member

Including the amp and the capacitor rating of the main capacitors? Cuz that sounds like what's tripping the codes some kind of capacitor draw when the car is asleep. You've probably stayed a breast of this more than I have because I'm not going to go there for a lot of reasons. But yes it is very strange that some people seem to get away with powering an amp from the DC DC converter and other folks get a can't maintain battery charge error which I guess gets you stranded. That would be a real sob!

4. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

Agreed, it had me a little nervous when I first heard about the issues. I'm using the same exact amp and tap point as at least 2 others that have had issues. My engineer brain wants answers, but I suppose not as badly as if I were the one having issues...

Been running this setup for about 6 months, btw.

• Like x 1
  5. alexcimorelli

alexcimorelli Member

Dimensions on Morel 265:
    Overall width 8-3/4”
    Opening width 7-1/2”?
    Opening depth 2-1/4”
    Magnet diameter 3-1/2”
    Magnet depth 1”

Taking delivery in a couple hours - can anyone cross reference these dimensions w the Focal 8’s?

Attached Files:

6. dfwatt

dfwatt Member

Are you going to try to reuse the original stock brackets and mounting Arrangements? Before you do anything, see if that driver will actually fit inside the outer door sleeve that covers the woofer bracket and basket. If it doesn't, you're toast, unless you want to cut away the door liner. I don't remember the exact measurements of the stock driver but I'll be really curious to see if you can squeeze those in. They're probably a better driver. If you can squeeze them in, you should Dynamat the heck out of that area because a better driver with more bass is going to create more panel resonance.

7. davitsio

davitsio Member

#27 davitsio, May 16, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM
    @alexcimorelli Here is the spec sheet for the focals: https://www.focal-america.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/FT_universal_ISU200.pdf.
    I have pulled the stock speakers out and am using them as a template to work from.

@dfwatt Indeed the main concern, once I pulled the doors off is the very one you stated. I realized that I can absolutely design a bracket to hold the woofers up front with adequate spacing, but the issue is whether or not the focals are too wide, actually, to fit that door sleeve. In fact they ARE too wide. The door sleeve appears to contact the stock speakers at exactly 19cm. The focals' rubber surround is still present at that width and so that would be an issue. The only hope would be to get the focals recessed just barely so they don't make contact with that door sleeve, OR else the sleeve has to be trimmed. I don't have the answer to that quite yet, but its pretty darn close to the same depth as stock, with the bracket taken into account. I don't want to trim the sleeve..... that sounds like an annoyance, though there are likely many who would be willing.

For the moment, I am in the process of designing some crude, quick, accurately measured brackets to test that very question and, if they cannot "fit the bill" without trimming the sleeve, I will have to decide what to do from there... I might just replace the tweeters and mids for the moment in that case. Not sure though. On an easier note, I am also nearing completion of brackets for the 4" infinity mids up front! Its true a bracket is not absolutely needed, but it does help with a couple of spacing issues (keeping the magnet off the frame below the speakers, as well as seating it more securely and with better alignment). So that will be available shortly, and I am considering modeling a plug to go into the stock plug as well to make the infinitys, and other 4" speakers, basically just drop in with minimal soldering/crimping.

• Like x 1
  8. davitsio

davitsio Member

#28 davitsio, May 16, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    @alexcimorelli I think the Morels are going to have the same width issue (in truth a 7" or 7.5" woofer would be likely no issue at all because it would fit in the door sleeve). So the fate of the Morels and Focals both hinges on whether or not they can be pulled back *just* enough to avoid the sleeve.

I believe that's what @flashflooder was getting at with his earlier posts, and I didn't fully grasp the exact situation. But I am going to test that question this next week (I expect).

To anyone who is buying woofers for the front door, I recommend making sure you keep them in new condition and being able to return them if necessary! I am going to do my best with the attempt here, but if all things are perfectly to their limits and the door sleeve still needs trimmed to make it work, it brings a hard choice of return or trim, and that is well within the realm of possibility still.

9. dfwatt

dfwatt Member

If you find there is a solution without trimming the door tunnel for the woofer, please do Post pictures. I do suspect that there is just not enough room for anything that has a greater outer diameter than the stock speaker. Unless it's shallower than the stock speaker in which case you can recessed it a bit and regain the space. But the stock speaker is really shallow

10. alexcimorelli

alexcimorelli Member

#30 alexcimorelli, May 17, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 6:11 PM
    Stock speaker:
    2-5/8” depth (nic foam at front, from magnet to face of speaker)
    7” driver
    7-1/2” at face of housing (critical dimension!)
    1-3/4” to 1-1/4” depth from face of speaker to mount

Door:
    1-1/2” from face of door panel to black metal in center

I don’t see how you could get more than the stock depth without modification - the plastic door panel mounts flush with the speaker.

Placing the Morel in the Door, I measure roughly 1” to the face of the speaker, limited by the lower part of the magnet touching the black metal in the door.

Ooof. I am beginning to grasp the complexity of this project...

11. flashflooder

flashflooder Member

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem shaving off parts of the plastic on the door panel that goes around the speaker. When I did my cursory glance, I thought I got it to line up, save for the (flat) outer part of the surround on the Focals that would hit that plastic piece. I don't think that's necessarily a problem, maybe I'm wrong.