Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brackets to install Aftermarket Speakers in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@groovyd Thank you for all your suggestions! I just posted the edited setup and install videos on the website (new "Installation" link in the Navigation). I feel badly that it took so long to get them up and edited; I've had to learn how to edit videos from scratch basically, so it took some time. Please check them out if you need installation or setup help! Also, *any* and all comments and suggestions are welcome. It's my first time editing videos for online posting, so I know they are not perfect.

I will label the sides of the Brackets! I like that suggestion. Though probaby I will do that in a couple weeks.

Groovyd, important question for you: I put in the video a suggestion to cut the tab on the Infinity speakers on the passenger side closest to the window, due to the Tesla clip that subducts the dash grille to hold it in place. (I'm sorry that sounds confusing, it's shown in the install video I posted). Did the grille for you fit completely without that step? I am not sure if the Tesla placement of that clip is standard on all cars or varies slightly. It matters for the aftermarket installs of the Infinitys specifically, though not likely for other speakers.

Hey guys, I'm looking to make a quick speaker swap (no aftermarket amp) as easy as possible. Have I arrived at the right place?

How realistic is it to buy aftermarket speakers with no aftermarket amp, use these brackets and have it sound better than before? If the answer is realistic, I want to buy these from the seller asap.

I will offer my opinion, but certainly see what others think. The speakers chosen for this particular thread (so far, though others may pop in over time) are specifically chosen for their high sensitivity, and I honestly think they are louder at the same volume levels than stock. So very good, in answer to your question. I still am playing with the balance of the more powerful trebles, but it's very worth it for me, especially since the point here is that it doesn't cost thousands of dollars to upgrade. The clarity and crispness to me is extremely noticeable, and is why I wanted to do the project in the first place.

@groovyd One more thing I just remembered to ask: I believe the polarities are correct, but please let me know if you think otherwise, because obviously that is important :). When I first installed, I thought I heard a similar audio strangeness (perhaps the sibilance you mentioned) but it seems to have disappeared for me too. I still get slightly harsh "s" sounds on the high end, but you aren't having that issue? I'd love to know how yours sounds since it should be identical.

Where is the website, how do I get the brackets and what speakers are people recommending? I don't see it in the original post!

The website is www.audioliphe.com and everything is posted there, including the STL files if you would rather print yourself. The speakers we have so far built for are the Infinity 4032cfx midrange and the Focal TWU 1.5 Tweeters. This is because of the sensitivity and low cost, and good quality. However, I am willing to build for other speakers too (now that I am much better at 3D Modeling), it just happens that we started with those ones.

See what the other forum members think of the best speakers to go with, and if there are no brackets for those (and they easily fit into stock locations), I will build them. I don't think there are any brackets available right now otherwise except for some designed for the very expensive ($5,000+) Focal Utopia speakers set built by Travis at GrabCAD. I cant afford those lol, so I am helping the community with brackets for more normally priced aftermarket speakers. I have started already building door woofer brackets for the Focal ISU 200 set. So if you like the idea of that, those might be good to pick up. I haven't worked on those in a few weeks because of the video work for the installations, but I will begin again on those next week.

The website is www.audioliphe.com and everything is posted there, including the STL files if you would rather print yourself. The speakers we have so far built for are the Infinity 4032cfx midrange and the Focal TWU 1.5 Tweeters. This is because of the sensitivity and low cost, and good quality. However, I am willing to build for other speakers too (now that I am much better at 3D Modeling), it just happens that we started with those ones.

See what the other forum members think of the best speakers to go with, and if there are no brackets for those (and they easily fit into stock locations), I will build them. I don't think there are any brackets available right now otherwise except for some designed for the very expensive ($5,000+) Focal Utopia speakers set built by Travis at GrabCAD. I cant afford those lol, so I am helping the community with brackets for more normally priced aftermarket speakers. I have started already building door woofer brackets for the Focal ISU 200 set. So if you like the idea of that, those might be good to pick up. I haven't worked on those in a few weeks because of the video work for the installations, but I will begin again on those next week.

This is great, thank you! I'll let you know if I want to pursue other speakers. Hopefully not!

@groovyd Thank you for all your suggestions! I just posted the edited setup and install videos on the website (new "Installation" link in the Navigation). I feel badly that it took so long to get them up and edited; I've had to learn how to edit videos from scratch basically, so it took some time. Please check them out if you need installation or setup help! Also, *any* and all comments and suggestions are welcome. It's my first time editing videos for online posting, so I know they are not perfect.

I will label the sides of the Brackets! I like that suggestion. Though probaby I will do that in a couple weeks.

Groovyd, important question for you: I put in the video a suggestion to cut the tab on the Infinity speakers on the passenger side closest to the window, due to the Tesla clip that subducts the dash grille to hold it in place. (I'm sorry that sounds confusing, it's shown in the install video I posted). Did the grille for you fit completely without that step? I am not sure if the Tesla placement of that clip is standard on all cars or varies slightly. It matters for the aftermarket installs of the Infinitys specifically, though not likely for other speakers.

It fit but it is resting on the clip a bit and I believe I was able to work it out but sure maybe not removing the tab but just a dremel to the outside edge of the tab would be enough.

I will offer my opinion, but certainly see what others think. The speakers chosen for this particular thread (so far, though others may pop in over time) are specifically chosen for their high sensitivity, and I honestly think they are louder at the same volume levels than stock. So very good, in answer to your question. I still am playing with the balance of the more powerful trebles, but it's very worth it for me, especially since the point here is that it doesn't cost thousands of dollars to upgrade. The clarity and crispness to me is extremely noticeable, and is why I wanted to do the project in the first place.

@groovyd One more thing I just remembered to ask: I believe the polarities are correct, but please let me know if you think otherwise, because obviously that is important :). When I first installed, I thought I heard a similar audio strangeness (perhaps the sibilance you mentioned) but it seems to have disappeared for me too. I still get slightly harsh "s" sounds on the high end, but you aren't having that issue? I'd love to know how yours sounds since it should be identical.

Yeah that initial sibilance is gone. Im not sure about polarity but you might try flipping them and see by playing a tone track in the mid frequency of the tweeter or some a bit lower is easier to tell.

• Helpful
Reactions: davitsio
Just to be clear, the 6.5" speakers in the doors don't have a kit yet right? Is that because it's not necessary or because it's too hard to?

Also, it seems that the 4” Infinity Reference REF-4022cfx are only $40 a pair. Are they actually good? I can't actually tell if the 4022 is different than the 4032 but am looking now.

Drizzle, as best I can tell the specs are identical between 4022cfx and the 4032cfx, but I have NOT looked deeply into them. My thoughts are that they are probably practically the same, and indeed the dimensions seem the same, but maybe Infinity just relaunched an updated product line to give an updated look? Let us know if you do find a difference, though!

Reactions: flashflooder
Drizzle, as best I can tell the specs are identical between 4022cfx and the 4032cfx, but I have NOT looked deeply into them. My thoughts are that they are probably practically the same, and indeed the dimensions seem the same, but maybe Infinity just relaunched an updated product line to give an updated look? Let us know if you do find a difference, though!

That was my guess. I'll let you know when I pull the trigger.

The Infinity speakers are indeed the same, just a newer / older model thing.

Drizzle, the speakers in the front doors are actually closer to 8", and yes the brackets are a major PITA due to clearance issues. There is a bracket someone posted on here that will accommodate Focal ISU 200's. Anything with a larger magnet will likely be very difficult, if not impossible.

• Informative
Reactions: Drizzle
@groovyd @flashflooder I do have a prototype STL that I believe should work for the ISU 200. I have not tested it yet, but I all the measurements are correct, as best I can tell, and so it *might* actually be ready. If the measurements are slightly off i can adjust them within minutes, so the bracket is practically done. BUT I do need testing, which I personally won't be able to do this week, because I don't have the time to take the door apart yet.

I have done it before though several times, so I can advise on how it is done if anyone is interested in testing. Do either of you have the ability to print such a large object? Testing can be done in PLA or PET or whatever you prefer, though I will ultimately print the bracket in PET.

@groovyd @flashflooder I do have a prototype STL that I believe should work for the ISU 200. I have not tested it yet, but I all the measurements are correct, as best I can tell, and so it *might* actually be ready. If the measurements are slightly off i can adjust them within minutes, so the bracket is practically done. BUT I do need testing, which I personally won't be able to do this week, because I don't have the time to take the door apart yet.

I have done it before though several times, so I can advise on how it is done if anyone is interested in testing. Do either of you have the ability to print such a large object? Testing can be done in PLA or PET or whatever you prefer, though I will ultimately print the bracket in PET.

I don't have a printer is why I need to wait for someone to print one but also I want to not be the guinea pig on this one. I want to wait till something solid is ready and tested and works well.

Sounds good. Does anyone want to test the bracket sizing? I can post up the STL for the bracket (It is very big. I am printing it on a Prusa Mk3s and have sized it to the maximum printing area). I can also print it off and ship it to someone who has a little free time. I will get to testing soon, but can't quite yet.

Sounds good. Does anyone want to test the bracket sizing? I can post up the STL for the bracket (It is very big. I am printing it on a Prusa Mk3s and have sized it to the maximum printing area). I can also print it off and ship it to someone who has a little free time. I will get to testing soon, but can't quite yet.

I'd be curious how the bracket exactly fits the actual driver if you want to send it for that I can check assuming of course you don't have a driver yet?

I'd be curious how the bracket exactly fits the actual driver if you want to send it for that I can check assuming of course you don't have a driver yet?

That part I have already done. I bought the drivers long ago when flashflooder was explaining his setup to everyone. The driver fits great, and the base fits the car well too, I printed off my Prototype 2 days ago and it looks good, but I will just have to test it out when I can. Maybe I can get to the door dismantling this next week. I'd like to have the project finally complete in the next 2 weeks.... So that is my goal.

Reactions: groovyd
That part I have already done. I bought the drivers long ago when flashflooder was explaining his setup to everyone. The driver fits great, and the base fits the car well too, I printed off my Prototype 2 days ago and it looks good, but I will just have to test it out when I can. Maybe I can get to the door dismantling this next week. I'd like to have the project finally complete in the next 2 weeks.... So that is my goal.

make a good video of the entire process removing the panel and the old speaker and installing the new, where to put dampening material, etc. i got a big box of that heavy tar metal damper sheet stuff and want to feel like i know what i'm doing whenever it happens ;)

on a light note this song came on on my way to work this morn and it sure tested out my speakers ;) max volume windows down, all EQ flat except the second to left up +1. even with the stock woofers it gave an impressive show... give it a go!

@dazzle very realistic. There’s a very noticeable improvement in just the dash speakers and tweeters.

Make sure you get the tools mentioned earlier - unless you’re like me and don’t mind spending an eternity wrenching with a vice grip and torx bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.