Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brackets to install Aftermarket Speakers in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the video?

@davitsio Just want to confirm that im right in saying that the above brackets are for the Front door woofers? and also for the Focal ISU200 speakers?

Appricate all the hard work you have put into this. The videos are a HUGE help and the stl files are a massive bonus.

Also i am using a different 4inch speaker due to the Infinity 4032 not being available in the UK or Europe! so had to do some detective work to match the sizes etc. I will mention which speakers i used once i have installed them so no one gets burnt if it does not work/fit going off what i bought!

Hey all! I've been plotting upgrading my speakers since I got my car in December. Upgrading the 4" speakers might not require brackets to use 2 of the 3 holes, but I also want to do the woofers up front as well (probably with the 8" Focals), and mount all the speakers as well as possible, so now that I have my 3D printer running I am likely to design and print out my own brackets to get everything setup ideally.

I was planning to do this whenever I got around to it but I've seen a few people asking about brackets and so I wonder: is there a good amount of interest here if I were to design brackets and offer them for reasonable cost to recoup my (and my printer's) time and materials? Maybe something like $15 for a pair of brackets? I could also put together kits for others interested who don't want to go searching for feather headers and screws, etc..

Any thoughts on that? I haven't done all the measurements yet so I have to first verify my printer can handle the size the brackets would be, but I am pretty certain I can manage it, and I probably could get them printed and start shipping out by the end of the month.

I posted this message in another forum and it was suggested to me to create a new topic, so here we are :).

Love the brackets but had a question regarding a potential different way to use them. Did you try using them as hold down rings? They would still have the three tabs to attach to the Tesla mounting holes but instead of having to zip tie the two unused tabs on the speakers, the rings would go around the speaker frame (and potentially have indents for the tabs) and press down on all four tabs to hold the speaker in place. If you needed the extra the original design provides then maybe you could just have the original design underneath as well. Totally understand if it’s too much work to design something else when you already have some that that works. When I swap my speakers I may use the OEM speakers to attempt to age the piece I am talking about.

@davitsio @flashflooder @dfwatt @groovyd

You guys are amazing and thank you for your knowledge and time you have spent finding a solution for us that want more sound! Been following about 3 threads between here and Tesla motors online for the last month or so and finally decided to do my own DIY and built confidence with all of your inputs.

I completed stage 1 of hopefully 4 (for me). Stage 1 is the dash speakers, 2 is amp and sub, 3 is rear deck and rear door speakers (4" infinity's) and stage 4 is the front door woofers.

I have a question on the Focals or Morels going into the front doors... Has anyone installed these with or without custom brackets? I'm just wondering if the sound is adequate enough while running it off the stock amp? Not sure if I missed a thread or a post, but haven't seen anything. My apologies if I missed something.

Also, if anyone has a spare infinity speaker, i'm down to buy one or go halves on a new set.

Side note @dfwatt. love your suspension build as well. Definelty going to send a DM on setup.

@davitsio @flashflooder @dfwatt @groovyd

You guys are amazing and thank you for your knowledge and time you have spent finding a solution for us that want more sound! Been following about 3 threads between here and Tesla motors online for the last month or so and finally decided to do my own DIY and built confidence with all of your inputs.

I completed stage 1 of hopefully 4 (for me). Stage 1 is the dash speakers, 2 is amp and sub, 3 is rear deck and rear door speakers (4" infinity's) and stage 4 is the front door woofers.

I have a question on the Focals or Morels going into the front doors... Has anyone installed these with or without custom brackets? I'm just wondering if the sound is adequate enough while running it off the stock amp? Not sure if I missed a thread or a post, but haven't seen anything. My apologies if I missed something.

Also, if anyone has a spare infinity speaker, i'm down to buy one or go halves on a new set.

Side note @dfwatt. love your suspension build as well. Definelty going to send a DM on setup.

Thanks for your note and appreciate the shout out. I personally am not aware of anybody successfully replacing those very shallow 7 in essentially woofer / subwoofer speakers in the front door with either focal or morel drivers. There is no room for an 8-inch driver and you would have to create a specialty one-off customized bracket. Also I would not recommend doing the Infiniti 4022 in the rear doors. Although I managed to do it I would not recommend it and if I had to do it over again I would get the Faital drivers.

Reactions: groovyd
its saying we don't have permission to view the media within the album? man my woofers been sitting in the closet since i got the m3... hoping this is something promising. weather is getting good and i finally found some time to do side projects ;)

These pics should be viewable. Sorry, I messed up my big unveil!!! (Guess this is my bulletproof glass moment lol)

I only got to test it for a few seconds before my wife scolded me (kids sleeping), but I guess the fact that she heard me from inside the house means it’s THX certified :)

Attachments

• 110DD592-F502-443A-8918-18CB1696AD04.jpeg
    110DD592-F502-443A-8918-18CB1696AD04.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 6ADB5FA9-D65B-4FCF-B3FD-C39D504EEB2A.jpeg
    6ADB5FA9-D65B-4FCF-B3FD-C39D504EEB2A.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 189
  • 825D24AC-0497-47F1-883C-84AED32905F3.jpeg
    825D24AC-0497-47F1-883C-84AED32905F3.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 254
I only got to test it for a few seconds before my wife scolded me (kids sleeping), but I guess the fact that she heard me from inside the house means it’s THX certified :)[/QUOTE]

Awesome work @flashflooder! I'm glad you got the chance to mock them up, give them a listen and survived to tell us about it.
Know how that goes. lol.

Hopefully you would be up to printing some brackets out for us? if and when you get some time of course. Take my money!

Reactions: groovyd
@flashflooder this is fantastic news. Two questions...

Can you confirm, are the connectors the same as for front dashboard speakers?
Why aren't your brackets' surface smooth like in the model? I'm puzzle a bit...

View attachment 533903

Thank you!
Yes speaker connectors are the same style as the dash speakers.
I’m not familiar with the model you posted, mine is custom.

I would print them for folks, however my printer (maker select plus v2) is actually just a little too small to print these. I had to print in sections and fuse them together. So, I wouldn’t be crazy about charging folks for something that looks... let’s say less than professional (even though functionality is fine).
That, and I have a heck of a time printing ABS reliably since my printer is in the garage and subject to fairly wide temperature swings. PLA is a no go, at least for me in NC (heat will def warp it).

If you guys want these, shoot me a PM and maybe we can figure something out.

I would print them for folks, however my printer (maker select plus v2) is actually just a little too small to print these. I had to print in sections and fuse them together. So, I wouldn’t be crazy about charging folks for something that looks... let’s say less than professional (even though functionality is fine).
That, and I have a heck of a time printing ABS reliably since my printer is in the garage and subject to fairly wide temperature swings. PLA is a no go, at least for me in NC (heat will def warp it).

If you guys want these, shoot me a PM and maybe we can figure something out.

Would love to get the STL if available! another question, did you use the tweeters in the Focal ISU 200 kit in your doors as well?

Would love to get the STL if available! another question, did you use the tweeters in the Focal ISU 200 kit in your doors as well?
Yes, I used the tweeters as well. I had to remove all the plastic casings from around the tweeter, then I wrapped the edge of the tweeter driver in electrical tape and jammed it in the plastic clips that held the factory tweeter. The fit is very tight, and you have to orient the tweeters just so to get them to fit, but it works and it was quick :)

Reactions: Miztawizord
Yes, I used the tweeters as well. I had to remove all the plastic casings from around the tweeter, then I wrapped the edge of the tweeter driver in electrical tape and jammed it in the plastic clips that held the factory tweeter. The fit is very tight, and you have to orient the tweeters just so to get them to fit, but it works and it was quick :)

I'm ok with a fusing things together. Look out for a PM unless you're comfortable with sending out the STL.

@flashflooder how do the Focal's sound with the stock amp vs. stock setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.