Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brackets to install Aftermarket Speakers in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick report on my install of the Amped Garage brackets, Focal woofers/tweeters, and Faital midranges. I replaced all 3 dash speakers with the Faitals, as well as the rear doors. The center tweeter was replaced with a Dayton ND25FN-4. The Focal tweeters went into the front door brackets. The brackets made it pretty easy, although a little trimming of some of the glue was needed to make sure the speakers seated properly on the Focal brackets.

I was going from a stock premium sound system to this. Honestly, I was pretty good with the overall tone of the stock system, although it seemed lacking to me in the midrange clarity (around 1.2 - 1.8kHz) and the very high end above 12kHz or so. But more problematic to me was the lack of impact. It felt to me like the amplifiers ran out of power early, or that there was a good deal of speaker compression happening. I measured pink noise from my listening position with the volume maxed at about 86.7dB peak, A-weighted and with a slow response. Honestly, I’m not sure that the SPL meter was working quite right in a closed car, since that seemed louder to me than my studio monitors at 90dB. Measurements were made with everything centered, EQ flat.

But I do feel I lack the ability to “crank it” on a good song when on the road. The system just seems to run out of steam. I should say that I’m not a person interested in being able to rattle windows in my car or those near me with absurd bass. I want to hear a balanced set of frequencies with good separation of instruments, just like I get with studio monitors. Or close, anyway.

With the Faitals and the Focals installed, I am running a pretty similar EQ curve to before, surprisingly. (NOTE: Elon, please give us a 4-5 band parametric instead of this poor graphic EQ?) Before setting the EQ away from flat, though, I re-did the SPL test. It seems I have gained almost 5dB in potential volume, which is pretty substantial. It also feels even louder than that number would imply, since those mids that I was missing are there now and the impact/dynamic response is better than it was previously. I’ll need to spend some more time with it on the road, but I’m pleased with the improvement relative to the cost.

I will be curious to see how the bracket plastic holds up over time. It is not very stiff, and particularly the cylinder for the 8” speakers seems flimsy to me. I added some ribs to it to support it a bit more. And in some brackets, the system relies on the stiffness of the plastic to clamp down the speaker, so the screw or bolt flexes the bracket down as it tries to clamp. I worry a bit that hot/cold cycles and time will make those fracture eventually.

I should also mention that support from Amped Garage was quick and helpful, in spite of the Holidays! Thanks to them for their eager help.

Last edited:
Reactions: RFICDude
View attachment 617333

So I bought a 3d printer, Ender 3 pro on Amazon... took about 2hrs to put together and setup.

Printed all the Autolyphe patterns, a big thank you to David...came out perfectly.

Have always wanted one, look forward to playing around with it.

Love to see this! By the way, I was away traveling for the beginning of the fall and am back now with everything available to sell if anyone needs anything. I even managed to find the correct center tweeter plug from a Chinese manufacturer and have a quantity that should last for many orders! You can find that on my website at www.audioliphe.com . You can freely download my STL patterns there to print yourself. Also looks like Amped Garage is doing a fine job too with orders too so feel free to order there instead.

Hello, i was spectator of this genius thread for some time. Now i can say that it helped me a lot with installing this great audio-upgrades. Thanks for the bracket models and the plugs! (audiophile, ampedgarage)

Here is my result of the Door-Woofer:
f28bs8V.jpg

I also changed the Main-Sub in the Trunk with a RockfordFosgate P3SD4-8 Dual 4Ohm.
> Punch 8" P3S Shallow 4-Ohm DVC Subwoofer | Rockford Fosgate ®
It is called "Punch" and i can confirm that it delivers much of it. Sizewise it fits quite good, but of course you need an adapter bracket again. I made one out of plywood because i had no 3D-Printer. It now works since about 6months flawlessly.
Here are pictures of my experiment:
imgur.com (OEM vs. RockfordFosgate P3SD4-8 front)
imgur.com (OEM vs. RockfordFosgate P3SD4-8 rear)
imgur.com (mounted on plywood-bracket with 12 screws)

Hello, i was spectator of this genius thread for some time. Now i can say that it helped me a lot with installing this great audio-upgrades. Thanks for the bracket models and the plugs! (audiophile, ampedgarage)

f28bs8V.jpg

I also changed the Main-Sub in the Trunk with a RockfordFosgate P3SD4-8 Dual 4Ohm.
It is called "Punch" and i can confirm that it delivers much of it. Sizewise it fits quite good, but of course you need an adapter bracket again. I made one out of plywood because i had no 3D-Printer. It now works since about 6months flawlessly.

Good work! Do you have a picture of the sub mounted on the enclosure?

btw, 3d filament for the sub adapter bracket might look nicer but wood probably sounds better.

f28bs8V.jpg

How do the speakers sound? I ordered the same brackets and speakers but have been too lazy to install them.

Hey everyone, as a non audio diy’er I ended up going to Matt Schaeffer of Musaic Design in Delaware. He is well versed in Teslas and helped design a complete audiophile upgrade for me. He often times does cars from out of state, several from California and even as far as Russia. The cost to ship is usually offset by the fact that Delaware has no sales tax.

I highly recommend going to him for your audio needs should you not be a diy’er (I saw some posts about that).

I know he did end up making custom brackets for my doors. I’ll try and add a picture of it but don’t have any stats on it.

the equipment I decided on (for your reference in case some one is wondering if these components are possible) is the following:

-illusion audio c3cx speakers for the pillars
-illusion audio c8 (8inch drivers) speakers in the doors
-illusion audio c10xl 10inch subwoofer
-focal fpx 5.1200 amp
-focal fpx 4.400 amp
-mosconi 8-12 dsp

the audio sounds incredibly clear and sharp at any volume level with so much depth. It almost feels like you are standing in the recording studio with the artist.

Feel free to dm me or post if y’all have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

09EA9599-D7C9-4F99-91E5-B45E8F1B12BD.jpeg8710CD08-4BF1-475F-869F-3C15B2594AC9.jpeg4A4BEBDA-04DB-48C7-BE9E-661AA7812957.jpeg6FE6E6BB-3C54-450E-BFED-05642863ED8D.jpeg9CD897E1-FA21-4908-805E-9D174E8043DA.pngCE766175-B183-41D3-AF60-3D700C35D3DB.jpeg

Reactions: Payjack
Hey everyone, as a non audio diy’er I ended up going to Matt Schaeffer of Musaic Design in Delaware. He is well versed in Teslas and helped design a complete audiophile upgrade for me. He often times does cars from out of state, several from California and even as far as Russia. The cost to ship is usually offset by the fact that Delaware has no sales tax.

I highly recommend going to him for your audio needs should you not be a diy’er (I saw some posts about that).

I know he did end up making custom brackets for my doors. I’ll try and add a picture of it but don’t have any stats on it.

the equipment I decided on (for your reference in case some one is wondering if these components are possible) is the following:

-illusion audio c3cx speakers for the pillars
-illusion audio c8 (8inch drivers) speakers in the doors
-illusion audio c10xl 10inch subwoofer
-focal fpx 5.1200 amp
-focal fpx 4.400 amp
-mosconi 8-12 dsp

the audio sounds incredibly clear and sharp at any volume level with so much depth. It almost feels like you are standing in the recording studio with the artist.

Feel free to dm me or post if y’all have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

View attachment 627037View attachment 627038View attachment 627041View attachment 627042View attachment 627043View attachment 627045

man that looks amazing.

Has anyone here done speaker upgrades on an SR+?

I upgraded my 2019 with just adding a small amp, rear speakers and a sub. Sounded great

I just got a 2020 and it sounds horrible, worse then the 2019 stock and I just don’t know why.

In picked up the hansshow diy harness to modify and add a a small alpine amp, powered sub and have printed the brackets to change the speakers

Hopefully will sound good, may not bother with deck speakers as mine doesn’t come with them, 2019 did....

Has anyone here done speaker upgrades on an SR+?

I upgraded my 2019 with just adding a small amp, rear speakers and a sub. Sounded great

I just got a 2020 and it sounds horrible, worse then the 2019 stock and I just don’t know why.

In picked up the hansshow diy harness to modify and add a a small alpine amp, powered sub and have printed the brackets to change the speakers

Hopefully will sound good, may not bother with deck speakers as mine doesn’t come with them, 2019 did....

I have a 2021 and will be doing my sub and focals shortly. I’m also using a Helix V Eight MK2 DSP as the amp and processor for everything to tune it.

Reactions: Goodtohave
Status
Not open for further replies.